Jay Rock
Watts Finest Vol. 1

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
February 20th, 2010 | 24 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Jay Rock has "more K's than the Ku Klux Klan."

Blood Love Overcomes Our Depression is not a sentiment many American citizens would agree with. As the dangerous street gang – which claims over 15,000 members spread across 32 states and 115 cities specializes in murder, extortion, robbery, and drug trafficking – strikes fear into the heart of many people. But, Jay Rock isn’t ‘many people.’ Following several incarcerations for gang injunction, Jay Rock had a wakeup call and decided to pursue a career in rap. His debut mixtape from 2006, Watts Finest Vol. 1, was only a testament to the brightness the future held for him.

Of course, he had to start somewhere, and that somewhere was swiping beats. Jay Rock ‘borrowed’ beats that were popular at the time, and unlike most rappers who insult the productions, Jay Rock improved them. Not limiting to his originating region, Jay Rock scrounges beats from all over the land and instrumentals like Slim Thug’s “3 Kings,” Nelly’s “Grillz,” Lil Wayne’s “Fireman,” 50 Cent’s “Window Shopper” and the Boyz n Da Hood’s “Dem Boyz” are successfully remixed to a greater effect than the original songs made by their owners. With his asthmatic, heartless voice and this-is-a-robbery authority on the mic, Jay Rock serves up some piping hot lyrics. Delivering gangsta punchlines like “I got more shells than a taco stand,” and “I hold more bass than a speakerbox” he successfully combines an undying street mentality with witty writing.

The west has been dead for quite some time now. Even promising mainstream rappers like The Game failed to revive it. I can’t predict how or when the west will be on top again, but when it is, Jay Rock will be one who is charging at the forefront. After all, he is Watts’ finest.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus

February 20th 2010

Somebody had to introduce this guy to Sputnik, and since he's my second favorite artist, I was thinking it should be me.

AggravatedYeti

dude is tight
i should get this album, hmmm.

dude is tight

you actually know who he is? :surprised:

AggravatedYeti
February 20th 2010

roomie in college was a big fan.

cirq

Jay Rock is cool.

Jay Rock is cool.

Duh. Jay Rock is a beast.

How was the review?

cirq

I pos'd. I do like The Game tho haha

joshuatree

so j rock apparently has like 4000 dollars

so j rock apparently has like 4000 dollars

Add another zero to the end of that figure, and yea, that's about right.

I do like The Game though

Jay Rock basically outdoes The Game in every aspect.

Deviant.
February 21st 2010

I almost can't take that album cover seriously, it looks like a Chapelle skit

Digging: Hyperdub - Hyperdub 10.4

February 21st 2010

Actually, I really, really like that album cover for some reason. My two favorite west coast rappers - Eazy E and Jay Rock. I think Jay Rock > Eazy-E.

JizzInMyPants

dude is fkin nice

February 21st 2010

even though they aren't on here, How To Rob 2009, Dollars Make Sense, and No Mask On are epic shit.

February 21st 2010

ill definitely check this out, havent listened to any decent west coast in ages. cool review as well im liking your shorter reviews.

February 21st 2010

thanks iisblackstar. you should definitely pick this up, but also listen to "No Mask On," "Dollars Make Sense," and "How To Rob 2009"

February 22nd 2010

i listened to those and the music is cool, he's pretty good as well. The whole blood thing comes off as a bit over the top though, i find it a bit off putting. But thats just in the videos so the music is still pretty sweet.

February 22nd 2010

well he is (or was) a real blood so he's gon rep.

February 22nd 2010

yeah i dunno it was just that 'no mask on' video was really shit imo.. his music is pretty cool will get around to getting him soon. At least he is(was) real.

February 22nd 2010

he got arrested cuz he was the suspect of a driveby shooting last year. also, he's been incarcerated for gang injuction before. so yep, he's "Real"

DeleriumTrigger
February 23rd 2010

neg - another crappy short review. Could have been an ok soundoff.