Z-Ro
Let the Truth Be Told

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
February 15th, 2010 | 22 replies | 5,410 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: And I thought I had problems...

We’ve all heard the overused cliché “Life is a b*tch.” Despite its lack of dexterity in its often unsupported form, it’s a statement that resounds firmly within everyone. Whether your wife divorced you, or you’re $10,000 in debt, life has seriously screwed over everyone at one point or another, and Joseph Wayne McVey is no exception. The rapper we know as Z-Ro has had more than his fair share of knockdowns, disappointments, and miseries. Whether it be his problems with the law, society, or his personal life, Z-Ro has just been dealt a bad hand, and on Let The Truth Be Told, he expresses this with a melancholy passion.

The lyrical aspect of this album is best described by Z-Ro himself. On ‘Another Song,’ he states, “I'm sorry for not havin’ any songs about happiness or bein’ in peace and sh*t like that. See, I can only display my personal feelings and experiences, and so far I ain't felt what happiness feels like and experienced anything but hard times and heartache.” Having been in the positions himself, Z-Ro tells tales of senseless violence, minority suppression, and the atrocities of poverty via the art of political rap. In a three-pronged attack of sadness, Z-Ro supports his gloomy lyrics with dreary, soulful soundscapes complimented by his deep, hopeless voice and his brooding, half-singing style of rapping in a seeming attempt to induce tears. Let The Truth Be Told may not make you dance, or may not make you smile, but its vivid, sad, and pure, and that’s really all Z-Ro wanted.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus

Cocaine

February 16th 2010

Not much to say about this album, other than that it is quite awesome.

Once again trying the kingsoby1 format. Tell me how it worked out. Constructive criticsm is warmly welcomed.

hydeyomoney
February 16th 2010

lurrve Z-ro, need some of this stuff.

February 16th 2010

I loved his song "Haters Got Me Wrong."

illmitch
February 16th 2010

hm i think even for a soby-style review its a little short, good though

think ill review this when i start writing reviews again

February 16th 2010

Well, not much need be said about this album. This basically sums it up. BUT IT'S SO GOOD.

JulesWin
February 16th 2010

a bit short for my taste but you said a lot with very little

February 16th 2010

Well when you have albums that have a common theme it's easier to condense your review.

Idnuf
August 30th 2011

oh fuck this is too good

Tupik
August 31st 2011

Still need to hear this

gabethepiratesquid
April 30th 2012

God Z-ro is just too good. Possibly the most consistent rapper ever.

ShadowRemains

20232 Comments

shit is chillin illin

Inveigh

yea this rules

Storm In A Teacup
July 27th 2012

I like his older stuff and Cocaine most.

Inveigh
July 27th 2012

I've only heard this and Joseph McVey. I'll have to check out Cocaine (and also the album by the same name).

EyesWideShut
July 27th 2012

havent jammed this in years, but i do remember diggin Mo City Don, Help Me Please, and Its A Shame.

Producer Mike Dean is totally underrated and surprisingly is white.

joesmoe4000
November 15th 2012

dude is severely underrated/underappreciated!

FuncrusherPlus1
November 15th 2012

I haven't heard this but I really like what ive heard from Z-Ro. Do you listen to K-Rino? you should check him out if you like Z-Ro, Southern aswell but even alot better.

Storm In A Teacup
November 15th 2012

If I was on a late night talk show or something I'd give Z-Ro a shout out and tell people check out the Cocaine album

Polymath