Electric President
The Violent Blue

by Kiran EMERITUS
February 15th, 2010 | 37 replies | 11,782 views

Review Summary: Electric President continue to evolve, with very good results.

There’s a strange satisfaction I get from watching a band move from point A to point B. Like watching a child grow up in front of my eyes, Electric President have gone from the bedroom pop of their debut, stumbled slightly with the fleshed out but progressive sound of Sleep Well, and finally, as they stand before me today, The Violent Blue presents them at their highest level yet; smart, intimate, electronic pop that they’ve always had it in them to make. The tears just well up in my eyes.

Though often held in the same vein as The Postal Service for their brand of pop-fueled bleeps and bloops, The Violent Blue also does well to take a step away from that somewhat lazy comparison. There’s a much more obvious shoegaze influence (popgaze, if you will) on the compositional quality of songs here, especially that of the beautiful title-track or closer “All The Distant Ships”. Like Sleep Well hinted at, where previously they remained more minimalist and raw, The Violent Blue is a much denser sound from the band and one that allows songs to become much deeper than anything they’ve released before. This creates space for nuances and textures to be integrated, of which the somewhat surface-level aesthetic of glitch-electronica never really allowed. Though songs like "Insomnia", from their self-titled, flourished under those restrictions, it feels like this is where Electric President have aspired to be.

As a result, it’s Electric President’s first really consistently great record – an obstacle that their previous efforts failed to hurdle. Where standout tracks were the majority of quality on their previous efforts, The Violent Blue is a much more cohesive affair. “Safe and Sound” is notable for its use of organic instruments, with big drums, acoustic strumming, and handclaps under Ben Cooper’s comforting upper-register croon (very similar to John K. Samson of the Weakerthans) but where a song this good may have been an overshadowing stand out on their self-titled, it fits in unassumingly here. As a whole, The Violent Blue’s intimate (albeit distant) appeal proves charming enough to keep it interesting all the way through, and that’s a first for the duo.

If this upwards trend continues and Alex Kane and Ben Cooper continue to push their sound a little bit further each time, Electric President is going to blossom very nicely. Needless to say, I’m going to be there like a doting mother, proud as can be.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra IIBeirut The Rip Tide
Alex Turner Submarine OSTClive Tanaka y Su Orquesta Jet Set Siempre No. 1
Robyn Body TalkThe Concretes WYWH

February 15th 2010

another quick write up. this'll probably be my last one out until the early march releases because i've got an incredibly hectic next two weeks of university. convenient though, since that's when the releases start heating up anyway.

full album is up at their last.fm page: http://www.last.fm/music/Electric+President/the+violent+blue

you'd make a gross mom.

this seems interesting tho, I'll check that stream later.

Minus The Flair
February 15th 2010

Alex 'Kane' and Ben 'Cooper'

couldn't be...

will be checking this out, sounds good, great review as usual. that phantogram review will be up soonish too, though its grown off me

February 15th 2010

yeah, phantogram lost its appeal a while ago for me unfortunately. it was good while it lasted. yay for more minus the flair reviews though!

and cmon yeti im milf material

thebhoy
February 15th 2010

I'll probably check this out. I liked their s/t even if it was flawed

February 15th 2010

cmon yeti im milf material

...ok maybe.

kingsoby1
February 15th 2010

good job. i was thinking of the postal service reference too.

February 15th 2010

any fan of old material should like this i think, keelan. thanks soby, it's a pretty apt comparison but i think this does a lot to distinguish this bands sound as compared to previous releases sounding much more copy-cat 'give up'.

joshuatree

album's solid

Waior
February 15th 2010

I'm liking this a lot. The album, that is.

And the review too, actually. Happy feature.

February 15th 2010

ah, happy this got featured, this band could use a little exposure!

klap
February 15th 2010

nice rec'd by reviewer, dick

Digging: Literature - Chorus

February 15th 2010

i take back all the nice things i said to you this morning

awesome, kiran

klap
February 15th 2010

did i talk to you this morning lol?

lmao at recommendation

youre a friendly drunk

thanks jared, give those last.fm tracks a listen ehhh?

February 15th 2010

Will do. Nice, two free tracks too.

rudy got waassttteedd.

Waior

who's surprised

February 15th 2010

Just basing on the stream, but this is solid. Safe and Sound is delightful.