Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
E 1999 Eternal

2.0
poor

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
February 13th, 2010 | 170 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Bone family has all the tip-top ingredients needed to make a five-star meal. They just absolutely, totally fuck up the recipe somehow.

Those poor, poor Cleveland sports fans. They’ve gone forty-six years without a championship, which is the longest drought than any other city with at least three pro sports teams. The Indians last won in ’48, which is the second-longest baseball drought behind the Cubs, and the Browns last won in ’64, before the Super Bowl even EXISTED. Hell, the Cavs haven’t won any championships, and although they’re favored to win the Larry O’Brien this year, I don’t think they will. I mean, they have all the pieces. Epic superstar LeBron, heavy hitting big man Shaq, solid point guard Mo, a good coach in Mike Brown, and a deep bench. All the right ingredients are there, but I think they’ll just somehow mess it up. Cleveland families have a tendency to do that.

Technically speaking, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony should be my favorite group ever. With a thumbs up from one of my favorite rappers Eazy-E, lyrical mimicking of my all time favorite group Three 6 Mafia, lightning fast deliveries, and a good R&B/Soul smoke beat format, BTNH should make me do backflips. But, they don’t, and I have not a clue as to why. It’s easy to see why they’d be successful. I understand the theoretics of why they produced a quadruple platinum EP and won a Grammy. But literally, I don’t comprehend it. The soulful, raptor quick, half-singing, half-rapping of the Bone family seems great in principle, but comes off as boring. Their chill, spiritual smoke beat format – consisting of enlightened and creepy synths, dark and light piano samples, gentle percussion, and twinkles – just aren’t what they should be. And their lyrics entailing tales of drug use, violent acts and occult references aren’t that observably commendable for being ‘gangsta’ or ‘satanic.’

All their ingredients are EPIC, but are seemingly stale in their sub-qualities. Possibly the biggest waste of opportunity and talent I’ve ever witnessed. Some of the items on the list of hip-hop mysteries I find perplexing are “who killed Tupac?” and “who killed Biggie?” and “how can anybody like Soulja Boy?” Now, we might as well throw “how can I hate Bone Thugs-n-Harmony so much?” on there, too.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus

Strength And Loyalty

February 14th 2010

This needed a review. Sorry in advance to anybody that loves BTNH and/or this album. I really am.

After clearing my bias against them (I'm a huge Mafia fan) and urging from illmitch, I thought I'd give it a spin through. I thought I'd love them. But I didn't. It genuinely disappoints me.

Although, 1st of Tha Month and Crossroad are both epic songs.

February 14th 2010

.......i dont know if i can still like you bulldog.

I'm sorry cirq. =(

Please don't leave me.

February 14th 2010

you cant hate bone thugs!

i tried so hard.

February 14th 2010

:'( i guess this is goodbye then

hydeyomoney
February 14th 2010

i have never agreed with a review so hard.

nice job.

noooooooooooo. pleeeease D':

CIIIIIIIRQ

both of you?!

February 14th 2010

Crossroad and 1st Of Tha Month make up my last 9 plays on Rhapsody.

erasedcitizen
February 14th 2010

Great review, one of your best.

thanks erasedcitizen! :D

February 14th 2010

haha my bad, i just pos'd.
dont agree though :/

February 14th 2010

thanks cirq. im glad we came to an understanding. :D

Crossroad is epic.

R6Rider
February 14th 2010

anyways bulldog this is some top notch gangsta rap, can't see why you rated it so low

Digging: Dodheimsgard - 666 International

R6Rider
February 14th 2010

I'm also from Cleveland so now I really don't like you

February 14th 2010

i'm sorry R6Rider. whether it be for not liking BTNH or for the cleveland sports reference. maybe we'll be friends in another life.

illmitch
February 14th 2010

i dunno if you really defended the low rating...seems to me like its a matter of personal appeal, not objective quality

February 14th 2010

ahhhh illmitch comments. i knew this would happen. and isn't ALL music a matter of personal appeal? i don't think there's really anything objective. there's no formula for music being "good."