The Police
Synchronicity

by BigHans USER (108 Reviews)
February 12th, 2010 | 140 replies | 20,942 views

Release Date: 1983 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Police go out in style.

The Police Discography

Part 5: The Watershed

As the beatnik rock poet Neil Young once said, “It’s better to burn out than fade away.” Although Neil left us with some memorable moments, it’s unequivocally ironic he failed to heed his own advice, contributing to the interesting corollary between longevity and quality of art in rock history. For the majority of the upper echelon of rock, musical legacies have little to do with advancing quality of material. Unlike the aging process of a fine wine or steak, the converse is usually true with elite rock acts; as artists age, their chops diminish, their focus dwindles, and if you’re Aerosmith, legacies often collapse into an epic avalanche of self parody. For bands that held a degree of transcendent importance, it is an un-paralleled rarity where the final work of a legend is their finest. That is, unless, we are talking about The Police, who were smart enough to resign at the pinnacle of their career.

The Police wrote their epitaph on the heels of six exceedingly productive years. Brandishing a leashed rawness and innocence at their inception, over the course of five albums the trio evolved from a quasi punk/reggae lounge act to monolithic, genre blending megastars. The foundation to their rise, and the quintessential essence that defined the group’s legitimacy was unmatched confidence colliding with advanced musicianship for the pop rock genre. The fact that Sting, Andy Summers, and Stewart Copeland could play circles around most of their brethren certainly added a facet of ease to their quest for hallowed remembrance, yet what ultimately canonized them was a sometimes eluding, hard fought songwriting craft, honed to perfection in their later years. The Police modified their style many times at the altar of musical learning, and the experimentation, lessons, and successes wrought from their first four albums culminated in a resulting apex of their abilities on their final act, 1983’s watershed “Synchronicity.”

“Synchronicity” is fittingly about finalization. Perhaps an eerie resemblance of foreshadowing, the record is primarily awash in dark, morose moods, and the theme running throughout paints a picture of interpersonal relationships colliding in a final desperate gasp before collapsing in a heap of exhaustion. With Sting’s growing megalomania, it is highly probable the band knew this was Act 3, and the foreboding yet brilliantly crafted ambiance plastered across the record is as fitting as music can be in respect to its performers’ natural lives. On differing moments of “Synchronicity” Sting seems to be at odds, lamenting he cannot wait to break freedom impeding shackles (Wrapped Around Your Finger), yet willing to embrace enormous lengths to be welcomed back to an unhealthy, controlling dynamic (Every Breath You Take). While he cannot make up his mind at times, Sting has no issues being a soothsayer for impending, inevitable disaster (Tea in the Sahara, Murder By Numbers), and uses brilliantly constructed metaphors to describe exactly how he got there (King of Pain). Owing to his aspirations as a leftist political spokesman, Sting cannot resist climbing his altar here and there (Walking In Your Footsteps, title track series), but the controlling atmosphere of the record from a thematic standpoint is inevitable change, at times embraced, at times scorned by fear.

Of course, “Synchronicity” cannot be held to legendary status by lyrical themes alone. Sonically, “Synchronicity” is the culmination of the Police’s genre experimentations, primarily relying on brilliantly constructed layers of melodic darkness, occasionally transgressing into more aggressive sensibilities. The most striking example of the Police unleashing is found on the title track series, with the second offering, (Synchronicity II), landing as their ultimate achievement from an up-tempo, energetic standpoint. “Walking In Your Footsteps” is not entirely reliant on melody or energy, instead driven by one of Copeland’s greatest percussion forays, riding a tidal wave of African and Middle Eastern beats that prescribe a vexing, hypnotic atmosphere. “O My God” and “Tea in the Sahara” are the final transgressions of The Police putting on a spacey atmosphere, while the deliciously evil “Murder By Numbers” is the best of their series of off-putting, joke like lyrical delvings. Elsewhere, owing to the theme of finalizing the foundations wrought on previous records, Copeland and Summers are each allowed a song, resulting in the only unfortunate moments of the album. While Copeland’s “Miss Gradenko” is no worse than average, Summers’ “Mother” is astonishingly bad, an indefensible entry wretched enough to potentially derail the album’s classic status. Finally, the trio of impactful singles “Every Breath You Take,” “King of Pain,” and “Wrapped Around Your Finger” all rely on gorgeous, understated melodies, embracing the primary sonic overtones encompassing the record. Riding a heart tugging, impossibly strong layer of ambience, the trio encapsulates the lasting greatness of the record, and unquestionably aid in the final stamping on the Police’s legacy.

The final, lasting impression of “Synchronicity” is the Police going out in style. Strong enough to supplant Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” on the pop charts and featuring one of the greatest pop songs ever constructed (Every Breath You Take), “Synchronicity’s” greatest redemptive aspect is it simply left everyone wanting more. When studying the solo careers of each member, the early burn-out was probably fortunate, although records like this make the ideal difficult to conceive at times. The Police were always backed by an above average musical IQ, and it seems their intelligence was pursuant to the installment of their final legacy. As a collective group, the Police died young and left a good looking corpse, leaving the act of transgressing into rock parody with age to Sting’s solo career. The Police will forever carry a high degree of credibility, and the final act of establishing their legend is perfectly executed on “Synchronicity.”

Essential Tracks:

Drive-by Truckers English OceansRanger Knights of Darkness
Grim Reaper Rock You To HellMachine Head Machine Fucking Head Live
Sok98 (5)

February 12th 2010

Would have been a 5 without "Mother."

February 12th 2010

This endeth the Police discog. Following my theme, here is the ultimate Police mix tape.

1. Message in a Bottle
20. Man in a Suitcase
21. Synchronicity 1
22. Walking In Your Footsteps

February 12th 2010

really good review, i pos'd. i actually havent heard this album, or any actual police "albums" per say. i just have a lot of their greatest hits. if i wanted an actual album to start with what would you recommend?

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

EVedder27
February 12th 2010

Awesome review dude, and cheers for putting in one of my favorite Neil Young lines.

shindip
February 12th 2010

this is such a great album. Sputnik really should appreciate it more

Jethro42
February 12th 2010

Superb review for their best album, Zenyatta Mondatta being not far behind. Your mix tape is awesome. Mine would absolutely include 'One World' or 'Voices Inside My Head' instead of 'Truth Hits Everybody' for instance. Pos'd.

February 12th 2010

Thanks everyone, Jethro I would agree with your take on Zenyatta. Sowing, if you were going to buy an actual album I would suggest this or Zenyatta Mondatta, although you cant go wrong with the greatest hits, or the songs I mentioned above in the mix tape. Mike, I love that Neil Young line, has always stuck out for me.

TheSpirit

good review as usual

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

AtavanHalen
February 13th 2010

If it's a Police review, don't talk about Neil Young. I hate people that go on unrelated tangents.

EVedder27

God forbid it relates and it takes up 2 sentences in a review

AtavanHalen

It shits me.

JohnXDoesn't

good review, good album

but i would argue these three tracks, and particularly the latter two, keep this from being top of The Police heap

3. Oh My God
4. Mother
5. Miss Gradenko

talk about hitting the "skip" button :'(

i do like Oh My God somewhat. just to be fair. the lyrics are awesome. the song itself, less so

February 13th 2010

Granted Neil Young has virtually nothing to do with The Police, but that line prety much encompasses the entire theme of my review, I couldn't think of anything more fitting.

JohnXDoesn't
February 13th 2010

ok maybe i need to hear the album again? its been awhile. but um...yeah. last i remember at least, those latter two tracks are silliness and break up the flow of the album

good review, good album

3. Oh My God
4. Mother
5. Miss Gradenko

talk about hitting the "skip" button :'(

^

I like O My God, and Miss Gradenko is average, but you are right, Mother might be the most skip worthy song in history.

Nagrarok
February 13th 2010

This is the album I'll bother with, considering all the praise and such. Nice work on the discog.

jagride

My least favorite Police album. Pretty boring and generic

Nagrarok
February 13th 2010

Hey, what happened to MrPoopular?

jagride

Erotic asphyxiation

StrizzMatik
February 13th 2010

Album is so great, but I would put Regatta de Blanc as their next best.