Day of Fire
Losing All

1.0
awful

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
February 10th, 2010 | 28 replies

Review Summary: nickelback christiancore

Music review sites can sometimes be the hilarity of the entire interweb, especially those that garner mass attraction. TuneLab for instance, recently dished out a 9/10 to both Creed and Puddle of Mudds’ “return” albums, and an 8.5/10 to Five Finger Death Punch’s insipid sophomore attempt. I bring this up because establishing a worthwhile rapport with a review is significantly impossible these days. To be truthful, if you’re not listening to the radio from sunup till sundown anymore you may never understand why terrible, terrible bands like Attack Attack! are allowed a second shot at releasing a cd.

This brings us to Day of Fire, a band that at one point controlled a large underground fan base in the Christian community. With a lead singer who sounded identical to that of radio king Chad Kroeger and guitars that were just edgy enough to stay beneath the airwaves; the band was some town’s [insert adjective] kept secret. Well, they’ve now “exploded” onto the scene with the first single from their latest album Lately creeping up to steady 34 on the “US Mainstream Rock” charts. I’ll start there since the first 4 tracks of this snore fest bring absolutely nothing new to any table, whether that is leftovers or a buffet on a variety of vomit. In fact opener Light Em’ Up, (aside from its clear attempt to reach the same crowd as that of their peers Rev Theory with its title), enters with such a dull guitar riff and poor vocal performance I had to refrain from cutting the song and album short.

Back to Lately though, which seems to have the largest identity crisis on the album, and it’s a head scratcher to understand how it was chosen as the best representation for this “body of work”. Dabbling between stealing Puscifier effects / distortion and riffs from other irrelevance HellYeah, the bands first problem is needing to stick to one (crappy) band to rip off, and then not suck so much at doing it. You know it’s a bad sign when you can’t tell the verses from the choruses, and have to search to hear what the bass is doing different in the so called “bridges” or climaxes; which I’m fully positive there are no inclines to be found here. The instruments, which have never been a focal point for the band, are absolutely wretched all around. Having apparently no aspirations to offer variety between tracks, all guitar leads sound identical and every drum fill is just a waste of space, you can now see the parallels with their contemporaries Nickelback. Saving grace and lead singer Josh Brown, may be dead, at least it sounds like he’s singing with six feet of dirt in his mouth; offering no range he brings a new found pain in listening to each 3 minute torture sesh. He also manages to deliver some of the most clichéd lines I’ve heard in a while.

All in all, this is some of the worst music I’ve forced myself to listen to all year, and even nostalgia isn’t enough to reprimand the experience delivered. I find it my duty to eschew a warning to those even thinking about, thinking about streaming this album. Trust me this is no 9.5/10.

Norma Jean WrongdoersThe Contortionist Language
Code Orange I Am KingPyrrhon The Mother of Virtues
Cult Leader Nothing for Us HereChevelle La Gargola

February 10th 2010

I LOVE IT. Sputnik needs more good, honest 1 reviews. I will by God (ba dum cha) steer clear of this.

Emim

: ( This makes me sad...

February 10th 2010

album is worst of the decade already.

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

February 10th 2010

That said, I feel like I've read better from you (your Anthem for the Underdog intro is fantastic) and this can read kind of like a rant. It's still good though, and of course I'll pos and I do appreciate the balls it took to drop an honest 1.

February 10th 2010

you're completely right, and i'd be lying if i said this wasn't written in a 'rant' esque mode, but i was pretty pissed at seeing all these bands get high acclaim when they're far from deserving it.

Wizard

19498 Comments

nickelback christiancore

Fuck you for giving me nightmares hahahahaha.

I liked the review. You should do more, but next time, something worthwhile to listen to hahahaha.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

February 10th 2010

Imagine Chad Kroeger gone Christian...

just listen to this...

___________

AtavanHalen
February 10th 2010

fromtheinside is a really amateur reviewer.

zachbredberg
February 10th 2010

Funny, this being a 1 actually made me WANT to listen to this. But yeah, this is pretty damn bad

PanasonicYouth
February 11th 2010

nickelback christiancore sounds fucking awesome

cvlts
February 11th 2010

these guys are still around?oh god.

ReturnToRock
February 11th 2010

fun fact: the lead singer for this band used to be in the equally snore-inducing Full Devil Jacket.

YouAreMySilence
February 11th 2010

So I want a good laugh, what's the worst song on this?

easily light em up.
or maybe cold addiction, or lately.

YouAreMySilence

LOL!

February 11th 2010

Atavan, I've seen worse. Sure, he's not a totally professional reviewer, but he gets his point across in his own way, and honestly, that's more important than the writing style in a review.

AtavanHalen

I must compare your comment to My Chemical Romance

February 11th 2010

And you haven't written a bad review before?