Darkthrone
Hate Them

by keysofanxiety USER (9 Reviews)
February 7th, 2010 | 54 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A fairly good black metal album, but it’s nothing new or groundbreaking.

Having listened to most of Darkthrone’s albums, I’ve come to the conclusion that they are a band who struggle with consistency; having experimented (unsuccessfully) with a more thrash approach to their music, their ‘best’ music seems to be locked firmly in the past. It’s fairly easy, and has almost become a tradition, to hate Darkthrone’s newer material. However, I think it’s very important to listen to this album with an open mind; and so I did.

Initially, I was pleasantly surprised. The opening track, aptly titled “Rust” (which may well have been referring to the strings on their guitar), definitely ticked all the boxes for what I class as quintessential ‘black metal’; the atmospheric production, the use of parallel minor chords, and the minimalistic structure and phrasing. I was also highly impressed with the production, of all things; although this maintains the low-budget and trebly timbre, you can actually hear every instrument, including the bass guitar.

One thing that immediately struck me were Nocturno’s vocals. Though in quite a similar style to “Transylvanian Hunger”, there seems to be something rather dull and lifeless when listening to this album. And then it occurred to me- the fact that this album is like their older music seems to be both the redeeming factor, as well as its Achilles heel.

Let’s be honest- Darkthrone really can’t win. If they attempt music in a different direction or genre, people will critisise that, because it’s not like their older stuff. If Darkthrone attempt music similar to their older albums, people will critisise that because it’s not as good.

And it pains me to admit this, but in a sense, the critics are correct. Although this is a fairly strong album, it doesn’t quite have the magic or the compelling nature that I experienced when hearing “A Blaze in the Northern Sky” for the first time. The trouble is that we’ve all heard this style before; and because of Darkthrone’s reputation, it’s impossible to listen to this album in isolation, without really considering their earlier work.

Another flaw with this album is that I feel the opening track is the strongest track- the other songs seem to flow into each other, with little distinction or memorable moments.

So to those of you considering buying or listening to this album, I won’t stop you; I might even encourage you. I can almost guarantee this album won’t leave your mouth open in awe, but it’s worth checking out- and it’s certainly stronger than calamitous albums such as “Goatlord”.

Recommended:
The opening track ‘Rust’
Listening to this with an open mind

Avoid:
This being your first experience with Darkthrone

Elliot Minor SolarisUlver 1993-2003: 1st Decade In The Machines
Bathory RequiemGuiseppe Verdi Missa da Requiem
Suicide Silence Demo 2004 (Family Guy Demo)Cradle of Filth Bitter Suites to Succubi
3.3

Good review, I do agree.

qwe3
February 7th 2010

agree with you and meat.

this reminded me that i hadnt rated darkthrone yet

February 7th 2010

Good review dude. I agree completely.

February 7th 2010

Have yet to hear this one.

February 7th 2010

You might as well check it out Crysis. Pretty enjoyable, but like the review says, it's nothing groundbreaking.

February 7th 2010

Yeah I figured why the hell not, its Sunday and I have nothing better to do.

all four albums after Total Death are pretty non-distinctive

Plaguewielder and Sardonic Wrath were my favourites, though

qwe3
February 7th 2010

darkthrone's pretty fun though. i mean their crusty stuff is just so easy to jump into and what have you

ov420
February 7th 2010

crust stuff is best, can't wait for their new one

February 7th 2010

I didn't really like Plaguewielder (as you can tell from my review), and their crust shit has definitely grown on me.

February 7th 2010

I don't think their crust stuff will ever grow on me.

ov420
February 7th 2010

good

Meatplow

The Cult Is Alive is so awesome

I don't quite like the other two as much

keysofanxiety
February 7th 2010

I'm not sure about anybody else, but for me "Total Death" is one of their most underrated albums. I really enjoyed it

February 7th 2010

It needs more love, yeah.

19612 Comments

I really need to get more into their crust stuff. Their last two albums were complete failures, any other albums I should take a stab at?

Digging: Hans Zimmer - Interstellar

February 7th 2010

The Cult is Alive is the only good one out of their more crust stuff. They will never do anything better than A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under a Funeral Moon, or Transilvanian Hunger though.

19612 Comments

Those albums are overhyped anyways, Soulside Journey is my favourite by them. Maybe I will enjoy their crust stuff more, who knows.

February 7th 2010

Yeah you never know. For me I just enjoy their first 4 black metal albums the most.

19612 Comments

Soulside Journey is like crusty death metal and it rules. Going to check out their late 90s stuff more.