Blutvial
I Speak Of The Devil

by MoosechriS USER (8 Reviews)
February 6th, 2010 | 16 replies | 2,855 views

Review Summary: An amazing british black metal album that sounds like it was recorded in Norway in the early 90s. But this is more than just a tribute the songs on "I Speak Of The Devil" are absoloutly flawless!

The first time i listened to this album i didn't know what to make of it to be honest. Like a lot of extreme metal in general this is definitely something that you have to listen to and absorb, it definitely couldn’t be background music put it that way. So I listened, listened and listened some more each time discovering new things in each song, becoming more and more absorbed with the cold bleak atmosphere that Blutvial create. After the last time i listened to this album i spent a good few minutes having to readjust to my surroundings afterwards. Such is the journey this album takes you on which then compelled me to write this review to let people know what a cold dark jewel this album is.

The album starts with a hellish scream backed by a cold wall of distortion which fades into the opening riff of “full moon possession”, which pulls you in from the start until the drums come in a short while later with blast beats that pin you to the wall. This is pretty much everything you could expect from a good opening track as it is just completely unrelenting in its assault. But alas this is no simple blast fest this album peaks and troughs (not in quality I must say) twists and turns taking you on a scary nightmare of a ride.

From the appropriately titled “raging winds” which is just a brilliant blasting black metal song through the doomish funeral march of “1584” to the punkish ferocity of “serpent procreation”. This album never lets up throwing different twists on every track just when you think you know where it’s all going they decide to throw a slowed down doom like passage like at the end of “seethe my darkness” or they go the opposite way and blast beat you into submission. This album leaves no stone unturned as they plumb the depths of black metal to give you everything musically they can, and the vocals, oh the vocals sound like somebody being tortured to death (in a good way). The rising tension and madness at the end of “seethe my darkness” is utterly terrifying!

Production wise this one is going to keep the lovers of the Norwegian sound very happy indeed, sounding like it was recorded in Norway during the second waves golden period with all the cold and pitch black darkness you could want with an admittedly slightly clearer guitar tone creeping through the distortion. All things said and done this is a brilliant black metal album that any fan of the genre will love.

Whorelord WhorelordAxis Of Light / Death Fortress Split
GridLink Amber GrayWatain Sworn to The Dark
Bleeding Through Bleeding ThroughMarduk Panzer Division Marduk

Zoo
February 6th 2010

Review is solid enough content wise but could be cleaned up a bit, such as the wording in the last sentence of the first paragraph and capitalizing your 'I's (and as a general note, it's best not to refer to yourself so much, if at all, in a review).

I remember checking this band out over the summer and having an overall "meh" feeling. Even so, I might look into this again at some point.

ov420
February 6th 2010

despite the homo cover albums pr decent

February 6th 2010

I just added this to the system like the other day, can't believe someone reviewed it

Digging: Rx Bandits - Gemini, Her Majesty

Deviant.

This guy has like 3 reviews on the front page, 1 after the other

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

i know :/

ov420
February 6th 2010

someone report him for spamming

February 7th 2010

Just saying i'm not spamming just new to the site and thought it would be cool to post a few reviews which i'd previously done on metal archives. Cheers for the feedback i know my spelling/ grammar/ punctuation etc is pretty bad at times too lol.

February 7th 2010

I knew the Blutvial review looked familiar

Hawks

This is sweet.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

Glad you liked it dude

Hawks

m/ m/ m/

September 22nd 2013

"Blasting black metal" should be the trendy subgenre, not "post-black metal".

September 22nd 2013

Haha, shit i forgot about this review. This was when i was just starting to listen to black metal, aint listened to this in ages

September 22nd 2013

It's definitely your typical "random black metal band I found on the internet" album, and nobody could ask it to be any different.

September 22nd 2013

Yeah, speaking of random bands if you get the chance dude you should check out the montsegur demo. Reckon you'd love it, its been up on bandcamp since february but finally got a physical release this month so i bought the tape. Really good demo

September 22nd 2013

Awesome, I'll definitely check it out.