Seventh Wonder
Mercy Falls

by Wamwig USER (2 Reviews)
February 5th, 2010 | 16 replies | 6,874 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: While not revolutionizing the prog metal genre, Seventh Wonder's third album is easily their best one and one of the best albums the genre has to offer. Awesome.

Swedish Seventh Wonder had released two albums prior to their 2008 release, Mercy Falls. After the generally well-received albums, 'Become' and 'Waiting in the Wings', expectations were high for the album and the band's latest effort easily exceeded them.

Telling the story of a man who falls into a coma after a car crash, waking up in a place called Mercy Falls, the album has something that very few albums, concept or not, have - a clear narrative. That's quite possibly the most impressive thing about this. It's more than likely that you will get a good idea of the story even on first listen, and that doesn't by any means mean that the lyrics are oversimplified. Instead, the band used actors and dialogue during some songs to tell the story and it worked incredibly well, mostly. On a few occasions the acting is laughable (especially the "What?" at the end of Back in Time), but the overall quality of the concept and songs make up for the clumsy acting.

Musically this album is not all that different from the stuff we've come to expect from music classified as progressive metal. Combine Dream Theater instrumentation with power metal choruses and you'll have a fairly good idea of what Seventh Wonder sounds like. However, the band never blatantly copies anything, and manages to create their own sound in the process, one that doesn't really sound like either Dream Theater or generic power metal.

As is the case with most prog bands, the musicianship here is top-notch but unlike some bands, the vocals here are extremely good. Some people who dislike power metal might not find Tommy Karevik's to vocals to their liking but while one might argue that he 'oversings' a bit at times, he never goes into his high range so much it becomes annoying. While all the band members play their instruments well, it's bassist Andreas Blomqvist who stands out. This probably would not normally be the case, but on Mercy Falls he is given a handful of chances to play bass solos which are some of the highlights of the songs they're in, especially on Break the Silence, which has a beautiful bass solo around 6 minutes in.

Seventh Wonder's third album is quite possibly also their best one. Every band member plays their respective instrument well and the band doesn't fall into the trap that many bands in the genre do of overly indulging themselves with a disregard to writing quality songs. Add to that a vivid story, that despite a poor quality of acting, is told really well and you get one of the best progressive metal albums of all time.

Recommended Tracks:
One Last Goodbye
Fall in Line
Hide and Seek

ZomarK (4.5)
A fine piece of work that all metal heads (and all other genres) should give a chance...

Manon (5)
Seventh Wonder's masterpiece....

February 5th 2010

This is my first review so any constructive criticism will be appreciated.

Zip

don't like

Athom
February 6th 2010

length is fine for me. then again i like brevity.

Zip
February 6th 2010

Yeah but the vocals... it sounds like power metal. Too many faggy keyboards

February 6th 2010

Yeh, if you hate power metal you're not going to like this.

February 7th 2010

I do get what you mean but like I said in the review, the album is awesome.

Whispered4tw
February 7th 2010

Album rules. Vocals are 'almost' on par with Roy Khan.

jordanrudess
March 29th 2010

what an album. it is a classic. ok as the summary says there is nothing new to offer the the genre but this album has many top songs. welcome to mercy falls, paradise, unbreakable, destinny calls, the black parade and one last goobye are the highlights. this is one of the best progressive metal albums of all time. no one can deny. awful that this album do not receive the attention that may deserve.

hybridstigmata
May 28th 2010

This is a great album. I think they tried to involve this story from their concept idea a bit much. It tends to let the cd get a little out of hand and over dramatic. I know that's what they were going for...a dramatic story for a concept album, but at times it gets in the way and I just have to laugh at it. Still a great cd but not as good as waiting in the wings.

itchy
March 18th 2011

I couldn't help but think about Ayreon's "The Human Equation" the entire time I listened to this album. The concept
and genre are both similar, and I'd say that The Human Equation is most likely the better of the two, although
Karevik's vocals are to be commended.

I agree with the review that the spoken word dialogues are poorly acted. I would go a step further, though, and say
that they outright detract from the album. The delivery is stale, boring and lacks emotion for being such an
emotional story. The dialogue during "One Last Goodbye" even goes so far as to happen concurrently with Karevik's
vocals, resulting in a cacophony of words that is almost always a no-no in movies, radio, TV, music, or any medium
with an audio component. That's why movie scores seldom have vocals with words (maybe just "oohs" and "aahs"
and the like).

There is also way too much of a keyboard presence here. Many bands have brilliantly used keyboards, most of which
use them in an unobtrusive fashion that supports a layered sound without ever becoming piercingly apparent or
cheesy sounding. Overall, this album was good but doesn't bring anything to the table I haven't already heard
before.

CosmicPie
May 3rd 2013

Tommy Karevik has some serious pipes. I haven't been this intrigued by vocals in some time. Solid band.

CosmicPie
May 3rd 2013

"well I love power metal that is self-aware. Bands like this that someone how don't understand that they are faggots turn me off, you know?"

What are you, 13? Haha.

FrozenVain
June 22nd 2013

this was kinda wow

OmairSh
August 26th 2013

They copy DT a bit too much

Digging: Paco de Lucia - El Duende Flamenco

FrozenVain
September 16th 2013

but this has better vocals

KjSwantko