My Morning Jacket
At Dawn

by Cloudy USER (1 Reviews)
February 3rd, 2010 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 'At Dawn' sounds like sunset on a beautiful summer evening with a cold beer in your hand. If that sounded like anything.

With it's shimmering mix of rock, country, folk, psychedelic, and occasionally reggae, At Dawn is one of those albums that makes you feel like it's summer even in the middle of a winter snowstorm. Filled with upbeat melodies, fantastic guitar hooks, and the wonderful vocals of frontman Jim James, this is the kind of music that you can sink into, making it seem like all the problems in the world are gone for a while.

The music itself is fantastically written from start to finish. Highlights include the blues-tinged 'Honest Man', the epic 'Strangulation!', which, after a frantic intro, features some beautifully minimalist guitar playing, before finally building up again at the end, and 'Phone Went West' with it's reggae-influenced rythym and reverb-laden guitar, and a chorus that you'll be singing along to in no time.

The album's one downfall could be that it does start to drag a bit in the middle. With a running time of almost 75 minutes it's not the shortest album in the world, and there are a few tracks which feature little more than Jim James and his guitar. Not that this is a bad thing, but the real high points of the album are the tracks where the whole band comes together and creates something special. And there's so many fantastic songs on here as to make it an essential listen.

klap
February 4th 2010

well-written, if a little short. try expanding things next time!

Digging: Destroyer - Poison Season

juiceviaorange
May 30th 2011

fucking album is ace

Snooze00
January 21st 2013

This album is great but It could use a bit of trimming. Theres a couple of songs that are quite dull and could be sacrificed. Also you really need to be in the mood for this because its very slow and sleepy.

robertsona
October 24th 2013

this is good

June 16th 2015

This sounds like a younger, more nostalgic version of The Waterfall from 2015.

June 16th 2015

Yeah, agreed. It's a bit too long and inconsistent, in my opinion, but some awesome stuff here.

June 16th 2015

Death is the Easy Way is heartwrenching, reminds me of softer Alice in Chains material

June 16th 2015

I especially the title track, Lowdown, and Honest Man.

June 16th 2015

Agreed, the jamming and extended outro in Honest Man is glorious. It reminds me of Lay Low or One Big Holiday.

June 16th 2015

Yeah, same here. How'd you like The Waterfall?

June 16th 2015

I thought it was the best since Z. They really sounded newly inspired, despite the continued absence of some of those amazing moments that appeared in their early 00s albums.

June 16th 2015

Yeah, I feel about the same. A lot of great songs, but not AOTY or anything.