City of Ships
Look What God Did To Us

by Adam Thomas STAFF
February 1st, 2010 | 38 replies

Review Summary: A crushing display of Post-Hardcore beauty.

If you've been following the Post-Hardcore scene, for the last half of the 'oughts progression has fallen by the wayside in favor of sea of freshly minted cookie-cutter acts ready for market consumption. Enter the Richmond, Virginia based trio City of Ships. Their 2009 debut full length, Look What God Did To Us, with it's mix of brooding Post-Metal atmosphere with Post-Hardcore sensibilities is proof that the spirit of albums such as Vheissu and Jupiter can still be found if you know where to look.

Look What God Did To Us is a force to be reckoned with. Its ebb and flow between monolithic slabs of menacing power chord crunch and ethereal, meandering leads is a musical whitewater excursion that begins ever so gently, only to climax with a drop over Niagara Falls. Taking cues from label mates and post-metal gods Rosetta, every song is a carefully choreographed work that, on the outside, resounds with aggression, but in time reveals its many intricacies. To put it simply, City of Ships are like ogres. Ogres are like onions; onions have layers.

City of Ships' singer/guitarst Eric Jernigan is more than just an axeman on Look What God Did To Us. His precisely layered, semi distorted vocals are beastly. At times he recalls Thrice's Dustin Kensrue at his most extreme, albeit rougher around the edges. That doesn't mean he can't put forth a good croon when it's called for, as just like his guitar work, Jernigan's vocal stylings jump from a tranquil whisper to a menacing growl.

With the release of Look What God Did To Us it looks as though City Of Ships might one day work their way up to the same hallowed status as Thrice, Isis, and Cave In. They are already off to one hell of a start. Now we just have to wait and see where they take their Post-Metal/Post-Hardcore behemoth next.

At the Gates At War with RealityWeezer Everything Will Be Alright in the End
YOB Clearing The Path To AscendUnited Nations The Next Four Years
Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There

February 1st 2010

Brent was supposed to write up something for this 6 months ago. oh well. For everyone that wishes that Thrice got heavier after Vheissu instead of softer, get this... NOW.

SeaAnemone

20834 Comments

I liked this... just not quite as much as you did I guess. Nice review though.

fromtheinside

19029 Comments

same here.

Digging: Ibex Throne - Ibex Throne

SlightlyEpic
February 1st 2010

I found this kind of boring when I listened to it before, I guess I'll give it another go now and see if it's grown on me at all.

Waior
February 1st 2010

haha I was totally going to ask you to review this to spite brent's lack of will

Taking ques

What is this? also, this rules, you guys are on crack

Waior
February 1st 2010

doble inexplicablé, felicidades mi red!

lol i had a brainfart.

Greggers
February 1st 2010

Good review, love the Shrek reference

Rationalist
February 1st 2010

I dont like this album. But I didn't like Vhiessu/Artist In The Ambulance era thrice either, so whatever.

February 1st 2010

this rules, you guys are on crack

this

Romulus
February 1st 2010

Yeah this is pretty awesome

Zoo
February 1st 2010

Did you have to write this whilst I'm unable to dl music? And wtf are you doing writing reviews when you should be making music?

In all seriousness though, you made this sound damn good and I can't wait to pick it up at some point in the future.

YouAreMySilence
February 1st 2010

The record gets kinda samey and dull.
Still pretty great though.

February 1st 2010

it does have a uniform sound, i don't find it a fault though.

MassiveAttack
February 1st 2010

Haven't seen you in awhile Sky, nice review man.

This made me laugh: City of Ships are like ogres. Ogres are like onions; onions have layers.

Crysis
February 1st 2010

Missing an "of" in the summary. Great review.

joshuatree
February 1st 2010

gotta hear this, nice review per usual

jrowa001

album is pretty good

February 2nd 2010

Thanks, guys. I'm glad to see that people are checking this out.

Roach