Gucci Mane
Ice Attack #2

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
January 29th, 2010 | 7 replies | 8,569 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dem Atlanta saints.

Ah…conflict, the ‘other’ form of entertainment that people love. But conflict is really enjoyable when it’s between two heavyweight. I mean, come on. Ali-Frazier? McGwire-Sosa? Byrd-Johnson? It’s such fun to see two greats go at one another’s throats in some way. But what happens when two heavyweights join forces? Excellence. Such is the case of fellow Atlantans Gucci Mane and Zaytoven, and Ice Attack #2 is a wonderful testament to this.

While both are successful because of their signature, recognizable styles (Gucci for his slurred voice, lazy delivery, clever cartel lyrics, and lavish self-exalting and Zaytoven his synth and keyboard assault) each of them deviate somewhat from what garnered them their respective success. Although Gucci displays some of his most bland lyrics yet, (“I got so much money I can ice my click,”) he does more than compensate by exhibiting some of his best flows, voices, and deliveries to date. He out-Shawty Lo’s Shawty Lo by a colossal landslide on Gucci the Eskimo, uses a darker, angrier delivery on Shake Dem Haters, and pushes the pace in an uplifted voice on Truck Loaded. Whereas Zaytoven largely abandons his infectious synth-and-keyboard formula, he replaces it with the awesome equation of deep, buzzing horns, thumping bass, and loud percussion.

Even though this album has some of my favorite songs (Gucci the Eskimo, Hood, Rich, Hit Another Lick) it has some just-good songs like Raining Money and Make a Fan which average it out a bit. In addition, some of the songs run into one another, it’s a bit lengthy (1.1 hours,) and the intro and interludes are quite unnecessary. (The latter listed item really adding nothing to the album, rather detrimenting it.)

Still, this album easily reaches excellence, as it’s packed to the brims with bangers. Ice Attack #2 is basically a spectacular introduction to the new Snoop and Dre. Don’t you just love talented collaborations? I know I do. But that still doesn’t mean I’m not going to watch the Super Bowl. I’m rooting for the Saints, but not the ones from New Orleans.