Panacea
A Mind on a Ship Through Time

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
January 23rd, 2010 | 38 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Life can be a thing that's always changin'. Sometimes I really feel it's always rainin'..."

Panacea, the Greek goddess of healing, carried around a potion that healed the sick. Perhaps not coincidentally, the rap group of the same name is the Washington, D.C. healer of rap. The District of Columbia has been a frail weakling when it comes to rap, preferring to be a strong giant in the local genre of “go-go.” The District has never had widespread success in the rap game, and has only recently garnered an artist that is the “face of” the city’s rap scene (Wale.) But, the duo comprised of MC Raw Poetic and producer K-Murdock called Panacea has been trying to heal Washington, D.C. rap since 2003, and A Mind on a Ship Through Time is just one of their remedial potions which they use to do so.

The atmosphere of this album is spectacular, akin to that of a secret forest. The production is so fresh and organic, lacking the pop synths or modified bass that most rap possesses, substituting them with the beautiful sounds of real instruments, resulting in the beats being like big, green trees. The gentle voice and relaxed flow of Raw Poetic is like a calm trickling stream flowing through the woods, and the lyrical ambience is the rich soil from which everything grows, and it really makes for an awing album with no real flaws.

But, all the while, there are no standout songs from the cohesive blend which propel the album to classic status, only epic tidbits within the songs themselves. And this certainly makes for really good songs, however with no signature track, the album seems like it’s just one awesome run-on, rather than a fun roller coaster ride with highs and lows (and the latter, this album doesn’t have.)

In the modern rap game, where synths, bass, and drums are over-prevalent elements and it’s a lot about possessions, violence and drugs talked about in an angry way, it’s refreshing to see natural, uncommon instruments, abstract lyrics, and relaxed MCing heavily present and coinciding together in harmony all on one album.

In essence, this is an exceptional album that you can play through over and over again, and at the same time, nothing with an individual song that makes you want to put your iPod on repeat. A Mind on a Ship Through Time is a 5/5 at heart, but doesn’t manage to express itself in a way that proves it as such, therefore conveying itself as highly respectable, incredibly enjoyable 4.5/5

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
recommended by reviewer
Madvillain Madvillainy

January 23rd 2010

like my 6th or 7th favorite album of all time.

January 23rd 2010

Already a mistake in the fist sentence. Replace the hyphen with a comma.

Eclectic
January 23rd 2010

Your reviewing has improved greatly, pos'd

January 23rd 2010

Thanks ecletic, I appreciate it.

January 23rd 2010

ok good. Otherwise this is a good review and I agree with eclectic that you have improved a lot. There's still a lot of potential to grow though ;). Keep working at it!

January 23rd 2010

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

January 23rd 2010

oh yeah pos'd, I forgot earlier. My only suggestion left, would be to merge the last final paragraphs. They both work as a conclusion so I see no reason to keep them separated.

O.J. Simpson
January 23rd 2010

I've heard a couple songs by these guys and love em, but that cover is seriously lulzy.

Zoo
January 23rd 2010

Is Is My Drink is phenomenal which is hilarious considering I never bothered to check this out.

BaconStarship
January 23rd 2010

Thx for reviewing this, its very well written and i agree with a lot of what you said (except i really couldnt have said as well as you). Very nice my friend, very nice indeed.

January 23rd 2010

Thanks BaconStarship and no problem, I thank you for introducing me to the album.

Also, I like the cover.

January 24th 2010

BaconStarship - what's your rating for this.

fromtheinside

19224 Comments

still need this but Ink was fantastic. great review, have a pos.

Digging: Techno Animal - The Brotherhood of the Bomb

BaconStarship
January 24th 2010

Great album, I probably need to give it a relisten though (which will probably change my rating). Remember lovin it when i first heard it though.

January 24th 2010

@fromtheinside - Thanks man. I have not heard Ink Is My Drink yet, though. It's not on Rhapsody :/

@BaconStarship - I like the shortness of it too, only 46 minutes long, which makes it even better.

somberlain
January 25th 2010

good job bulldog, probably your best review, ill have to check this out

January 25th 2010

thanks man, i appreciate it. and im starting to think this is a 5 maybe...hm...

Psilocyanide
January 27th 2010

Good album, good review. I prefer Ink is My Drink to this though.

January 27th 2010

Thanks, and yea I need to check that out.

iisblackstar
January 31st 2010

ahh i really want this.. and ink is my drink