Colour Revolt
Colour Revolt

by Kalle J. USER (37 Reviews)
January 22nd, 2010 | 9 replies | 6,311 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

So, after having experienced a somewhat decisive computer crash, I thought that my life as a listener of music was down the drain. My extensive music collection was now all gone and it was probable I would never recover from that one blow. But what better than to start fresh, and change direction in terms of style? I began by rebuilding that collection with a particular penchant for indie music. One of my latest additions is Colour Revolt, a band from Oxford, Mississippi, literally the "fattest state" in America, but allegedly, not the most prolific one. Never really coming close to the comely set-out of its contemporaries, Colour Revolt' s self-titled EP is unhinged if anything, and finds more in common with the post-hardcore genre. At first listen it may appear so: Jesse's vocals shift from harmonious to completely single-handed, the lyrics are no longer dressed in robes of metropolis, while the overall sound teeters like a drunk sailor trying to stay on his paddle boat.

The music sounds like a mixture of mewithoutYou, Thrice and Bear vs. Shark, and at the same time, doesn't really sound anything like any of them, probably because of the distinct range of instruments and harmonic interplay between them. The opening track "Blood In Your Mouth" starts off with harmonica playing over some plucking, and from there the song builds up into quasi-regretful numbers, underlined best perhaps by the problematic of the lyrics: "We say you bury me, I'll bury you Dogs might come bury us too". If you've heard of the record, chances are you've heard of "Matresses Underwater", one of the more tortured singles off the EP. Closing the release is "Circus", showcasing the prominent microphone effect used throughout the songs. Unlike their full-length Plunder, Beg, And Curse, the sound is disorganized, dissonant and still looks into its own strengths and faults.