Drastus
Serpent's Chalice - Materia Prima

by B R A N D O N S C O T T USER (102 Reviews)
January 20th, 2010 | 17 replies | 5,028 views

Review Summary: A welcome addition to the Blackened Death Metal genre.

Over the past few years, it seems that more and more black metal bands are incorporating avant-garde influences into their music. While newer bands such as Portal and Lugubrum add weird time signatures and saxophones to their brand of black metal, even more established bands such as the mighty Mayhem have experimented with diverse song-structures and industrial influences. Hailing from France, avant-garde black metal newcomer, Drastus released their second EP Serpent's Chalice - Materia Prima in 2009, displaying the bands sickening combination of avant-garde blackened death metal.

A good comparison for figuring out the sound of Drastus would be to say they sound like a more black metal incline Portal. Despite the first two tracks "0" , "Symbols of the Unconscious" and the last track "Serpent's Chalice - Materia Prima" solely containing ambient soundscapes and chants, the other two songs of the album are filled with a blistering black metal onslaught. Take for instance "Resonance Of Naught" which opens with a simple, yet unbelievably heavy death metal style guitar line and a pounding drum line. As the song progresses, the tempo picks up and the song increasingly begins to gain more black metal qualities such as tremolo picked power chords and blast beats. The song also features an ambient bridge, yet instead of creating a tranquil mood as most bands tend to do, this section seems more suffocating, as if the very chords grasp your neck to choke the life out of you. Next track "Cygnus X1" offers more of the same; bleak black metal, with death metal like technicality. Sole member Drastus really shows some skill as a multi-instrumentalist, with vile, tremolo picked guitars and some brutally fierce drum lines. Also, he seems to have a keen ear for truly eerie ambiance textures, with the tones presented always coming off as more melancholic then anything else.

While the Serpent's Chalice - Materia Prima is a relatively short EP, it is most definitely worth checking out for those who enjoy their black metal, extra black. Combining black and death metal, with creepy ambiance, this record is a great starting place for any of those who would want to start listening to Drastus.

Carved Cross Demo IIIBlack Beasts II
Azarath Blasphemers' MaledictionsDoth Datura Wrightii
Cara Neir Sublimation TherapyAsphyx The Rack
recommended by reviewer
Portal Swarth

January 20th 2010

Really short review, for a really short EP. It only features two real songs amongst three ambient songs. Its still really good though, definitely for fans of Portal

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

Parallels
January 20th 2010

Cygnus X1... what an original name for a song.... *cough* RUSH *cough*.

January 20th 2010

You sir will love Borgia and The Austrasian Goat.

January 20th 2010

I will have to check those out my good sir

jingledeath
January 20th 2010

looks good, might try this out after i'm done with Anagnorisis.

January 20th 2010

Yeah man, if you liked Portal, you'd really like this

Stealin my recs Balls?

Can't remember if I heard this or not, sounds familiar either way. I'll look into this when I can.

Partially yes.

January 20th 2010

Excellent. Now all I have to do is con you or someone else into reviewing them and maybe then they'll get more attention ;)

I'll do it fo free

January 21st 2010

Word. You'd probably like Borgia more, it's significantly more accessible. But, if you're in an atmospheric mood, The Austrasian Goat would be perfect. Ecclesia and The Austrasian Goat would be the albums to check out respectively.

January 21st 2010

cool, i'll check that stuff out later today

January 21st 2010

They're both on the blog, so you don't have to go scouring the earth for the latter.

December 3rd 2010

This still rules

February 11th 2012

I can't believe more people don't listen to this. If you like Portal, then this is RIGHT up your alley

February 12th 2012

I love the production on this album. I can literally play this to my volumes full potential without my ears being killed by treble.

"Resonance of Naught" is one hell of a track. The variability is tremendous and extremely satisfying.

I really love the sounds this one man project creates. Black Metal is definitely present along with unfailing, well thought out, aggression.

I can't wait to hear his new LP.

Have you heard his first LP release "Roars From the Old Serpent's Paradise"?

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

Hawks
February 12th 2012

Awesome review as always buddy. I need this.

Digging: Brutal Truth - Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses