Cold War Kids
Behave Yourself

by Adam Thomas STAFF
January 18th, 2010 | 34 replies | 11,193 views

Review Summary: The Cold War Kids start off 2010 with their best release yet

The Cold War Kids have always had a knack for crafting good songs, but as far as albums go they've always seemed a bit lost. Not in a sense of identity, but in knowing when to call it quits. Both their debut, Robbers and Cowards, and their follow up, Loyalty to Loyalty, have more than their share of brilliant moments, but when taken in as a whole they tend to tread the line between overlong and overbearing. That's why it is so refreshing to see that the newest release from the southern California quartet is an EP that clocks in at just under fifteen minutes.

Born from the same sessions as 2008's Loyalty to Loyalty, but consisting of songs that “didn't belong but stuck around”, Behave Yourself is a surprisingly cohesive mini-release. The overall sound on display should be instantly familiar to anyone who has picked up a Cold War Kids album in the past, as their brand of gospel influenced indie-punk has changed little in the course of their career, but rarely has it been this refined. The lead off track, “Audience of One”, is the Kid's most charming number since “Hospital Beds”, with vocalist Nathan Willett eschewing his normal verses of veiled politics in favor of the importance of connecting with his listeners. Even when they slow things down on the soothing Beatles-meets-Motown influenced “Sermons”, the sound is urgent, demanding all ears in listening distance to stand at attention.

Interestingly, the album's last track, a thirty-seven second mess of clashing piano and pounding snare given the name “Baby Boy”, is the most intriguing moment of Behave Yourself. The jangly cacophony may come off as a throwaway to some, but here's hoping it is a hint of things to come for the Cold War Kids, as there is not much more that they can do within the confines of their chosen sound.

The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena
Comeback Kid Die KnowingSlough Feg Digital Resistance

January 18th 2010

This comes out tomorrow on CD but was released on itunes in decemeber

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

klap
January 18th 2010

hey can everyone stop reviewing CDs that haven't come out yet on my wish list kthx

January 18th 2010

i said i was gonna do this on new releases news post.

i love how "santa anna winds" mentions all the austere monuments of LA and makes them seem beautiful

AlexTM510
January 18th 2010

your last line is very true. though i do hope they somehow manage to expand w/o getting too ridiculous. their last album was great really but just way too over the top at moments.

nice review

Digging: Daniel Blomquist - measureless oceans of space

January 18th 2010

thanks. that's why i love this ep. no room for anything but the best cuts.

Ponton
January 18th 2010

Very nice, tidy review, Adam. Pos.

Digging: Mimicking Birds - Mimicking Birds

Kiran
January 18th 2010

cool band although i grew bored of robbers and cowards, other than a few highlights, quite quickly

January 18th 2010

I know what you mean. I had the same problem, but it's been growing back on me as of late. Congrats on contributor btw.

Kiran

thanks :D

i think an EP might actually suit me better than a full album from this band tbh, as the entire problem was there wasn't enough to continually keep me engaged between the highlights of their full length

January 18th 2010

i think you'd like this. it took me a couple of listens to warm up to it, but i've been blasting it
daily since.

Tits McGee

probably the most apt description of this band

nice review

Douglas
January 18th 2010

was going to review this, now not neededing to, great review.

PuddlesPuddles
January 18th 2010

Didn't even know about this. Will look into, good review

probably the most apt description of this band

this gives me hope that they can change that.

SHAKEandBAKE

Nice review man, Pos'd.
I'm really digging this.

SHAKEandBAKE
January 18th 2010

Audience of One might be my favorite CWK song.

January 18th 2010

i know, its so damn catchy!
Santa Anna Winds is sounding better and better every time i listen to it.

Douglas
January 18th 2010

Audience of One is the best live

thebhoy
January 18th 2010

I might check this out, but I've never been a big fan of these guys.

i need to see them live