Gojira
Terra Incognita

by hipnotoad USER (6 Reviews)
January 16th, 2010 | 15 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Terra Incognita is an interesting look at how Gojira began their career, and while it has a slower, simplified imitation of their present day sound, it's ultimately very enjoyable.

I have always admired Gojira. In a world with literally thousands upon thousands of bands churning out regurgitated ideas, it's very difficult to find ones niche within the metal world. However Gojira did exactly that, but not only did they find their own unique sound, they did so with incorporating two of the most hated musical techniques in metal; the breakdown, and the chug. These two key features along with unusual time signatures, and blending elements of essentially every metal sub genre under the sun produced what is now an easily recognizable sound. Gojira didn't always have this sound, however, and while Terra Incognita retains the fundamental elements of what Gojira is known for, it lacks the more progressive sections that would be featured in later releases. What is left is a more straight forward, more.... death metal album.

The absence of the aforementioned progressive sections may seem disheartening at first, but it oddly works in favor of the album the majority of the time. Simplicity in this instance outshines technicality as the majority of songs featured on Terra Incognita are some of the best the band has written.

The "more death metal approach" relys almost entirely on mixing the heavier death metal sections with groove elements. All while churning out what are essentially gimmicks to add life to otherwise stagnant tracks. For instance the breakdown at the end of "Love". Though being called a "gimmick" may be somewhat misleading as it certainly isn't a bad thing in this instance. In addition the vocals (which is usually a thrash metal/hardcore punk hybrid) are very low pitch (especially in comparison to their later work).

Although the album is more straight forward, there are still slower sections in the midst of the madness. Instead of relying on some form of ambient effect, Gojira take a more minimalist approach, and often encompass odd percussion techniques, while the guitars often play one long drone of a note, sometimes possessing almost doom metal quality's in them. Some may find these sections boring, and sluggish, but in the end it really adds a lot to the album overall, and never feels monotonous.

In addition to these well placed sections, the production helps stitch together an otherwise disjointed array of songs together, into one vastly enjoyable album, as opposed to an enjoyable set of songs. The production is what I consider perfect for death metal. It's clean, but not squeaky clean, just enough so everything is easily audible, but still sounds raw, and ultimately very heavy.

In hindsight, Terra Incognita was an outstanding debut, and worth a listen, even if you aren't a fan of Gojira.

Recommend Tracks:
Space Time
Blow Me Away You(Niverse)
Clone

The Rapture Out of the Races and Onto the TracksSoundtrack (Film) Jet Set Radio OST
Fatal Recoil MaliciousTorture Killer Sewers
Klabautamann Merkur
Brendan Schroer (3.5)
Inconsistent, but a really nice start nonetheless....

hipnotoad
January 16th 2010

Yeah I know the review sucks, but it was really bugging me that this album hadn't been reviewed yet.

Deviant.
January 16th 2010

Your recommended by reviewer section is interesting, seeing as how this sounds nothing like Mechanize

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

TRMshadow
January 16th 2010

It's TerrA Incognita, not TerrOR.

I have, and always will have, a soft spot for this band since they are probably THE band that got me into death metal. You didn't do a mockery of a review so don't worry. good job.

February 8th 2010

Good album, I love some of these songs.

EnCrypt.
February 17th 2010

4 comments for such an amazing album?

February 17th 2010

Gojira is a hit-or-miss band, I'd say.

KeatsVerse
April 17th 2010

Actually, I found the review to be pretty insightful. Plus, it's always hard to articulate the sounds of death metal.

hipnotoad

April 5th 2012

best album to start?

Kole
May 3rd 2012

To Saber, Hmmm probably not maybe to end. Start with Mars to Sirus.

CK
January 16th 2013

This is way more epic than I remember it being

MuhNamesTyler
May 23rd 2013

This is soundin awesome so far

Digging: Revocation - Deathless

MuhNamesTyler
May 25th 2013

I usually don't fap too hard over breakdowns but some of these are so fuckin huge. Glad I found this shit

Negator
September 29th 2014

I want to live in the forest forever

Digging: Swallowed - Lunarterial