Green Day
Dookie

by JackFr USER (6 Reviews)
January 15th, 2010 | 37 replies | 6,868 views

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If an album could make you a teenager again, this would be it.

Green Day didn't care. They didn't give a ***.

That's why I love them so much.

Before they became what they are now, their superhit was Dookie. Why? Because Dookie is one of the most fun albums I've ever listened to. If you want metaphors and time signature changes, look elsewhere. Dookie's superiority relies on the amazing... well there's not much way to describe it. Dookie is the temper tantrum that every teenager silently has. But Dookie is filled to the rim with talent on every instrument, and every song on it is enthusiastic, and explosive, and fun to listen to.

First thing you'll notice about Dookie is the drumming. Burnout remains one of my favourite songs because of Tre Cool's insane yet intricate drumming. On "Welcome to Parradise", you get a sense of Mike Dirnt's bass chops. And in their early stuff, Billie Joe always sounds like he's too good a singer for a band like Green Day, but it all works. The songwriting is stunning, especially when you consider the limited number of power chord combinations that exist. The lyrics are blunt, unafraid to get dirty, and completely ***ing true. There are plenty of F-Bombs, but who cares? That's how we talk about the stuff, and Green Day takes the parents advisory board to the ***ing limit.

Nowadays, Green Day wear eyeliner and sing about Iraq and post-Bush AmericBLAHBLAHBLAH. I'm not asking Green Day to change. They are what they are. After American Idiot, an excellent album, was released, they rode a road of pretentiousness that's turned them into what they are now. They're not going to sing about masturbation. All I'm asking is for the Green Day haters to listen to Dookie, and instead of bitching about who they are now, or how generic or whatever it is, just become 18 again. This album was made so people could enjoy it. It has no double-meaning, or cryptic lyrics. This is fun music. And I'm glad to have listened to it.

Nick Jonas and the Administration Who I AmBrand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Brand New Fight Off Your Demons (The Demos)Deftones Deftones
Brand New Deja Entendu

TheSpirit
January 15th 2010

WAYYYYYYY too short and not nearly descriptive enough.

"The lyrics are blunt, unafraid to get dirty, and completely ***ing true. There are plenty of F-Bombs, but who cares? That's how we talk about the stuff, and Green Day takes the parents advisory board to the ***ing limit."

That among other sentences make you sound unprofessional and childish

"Nowadays, Green Day wear eyeliner and sing about Iraq and post-Bush AmericBLAHBLAHBLAH."

Don't do that.

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

Erratic
January 15th 2010

Sure you're not still a teenager?

MindTrain
January 15th 2010

"WAYYYYYYY too short and not nearly descriptive enough."

Definitely not descriptive enough, but as for being too short, fuuuuuck that. I don't bother reading most of the boring reviews I come across because in the time it takes to read one I could have listened to the album.

Electric City
January 15th 2010

"if an album could make you wish you were finally a teenager..."

Deviant.
January 15th 2010

Yeah I just saw that too lol

Digging: Banks - Goddess

TheEnforcer
January 16th 2010

Neg'd, for obvious reasons.

Titan50

FUK DA PARENTZ

January 16th 2010

haha...not a good review by any means, but it was honest and made me genuinely laugh.

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

bungy
January 16th 2010

"They're not going to sing about masturbation."

lol that sentence came out of nowhere.

January 16th 2010

"Seeeeeeventeeen, and strung out on confuuuuuusion"

This lyric pretty much sums up the band for me although I do love this and Kerplunk.

bungy
January 16th 2010

Yeah actually this review reminded me I need to download this for old times sake. Thanks dude

Comatorium.

i roflcopter'd

Asiatic667

Dood U gotTit WRONG American Idoit was TheRE DAYBYOO

DiceMan
January 16th 2010

I would pos you for being kind of hilarious, but I don't encourage bad reviews. You sound like a troll.

TheSpirit

This review is Kerplunk

January 16th 2010

The review seems legit to me, dude likes Green Day. I Ithink Asiatic is right...we should almost classify them as two bands, I just don't know where to draw the line.

JackFr
January 16th 2010

Haha this is called me late at night, just being weird. I'm not trying to be trollish, this is what I think of the album. No matter how immature and childish it is. I guess I was in the midset that a serious album deserves a serious review, and an album like this respectively should get a childish, bratty one.

Deviant.
January 16th 2010

"and an album like this respectively should get a childish, bratty one."

JackFr
January 16th 2010

I was in the mindset of that, ie I wasn't really thinking. Maybe (almost definitely) it doesn't. But what's the harm in it? A guy downloaded the album. Some people had a laugh. Cats went missing. Overall, no harm really done.

January 16th 2010

This is when the band really started to break, on the strength of "Basket Case" and "When I Come Around". The next few albums are like them deliberating on whether or not they want to full on "Sell Out" and WoW...never expected them to be one of the biggest bans in the worl in 2010. I still give them some props for fairly enjoyable music.

edit: @ JackFr - just do another review and we'll go from there.