Trivium
Ember to Inferno

by Luke M. Jenkins (Confessed) USER (58 Reviews)
September 4th, 2005 | 28 replies | 7,217 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

This is the re-release of the debut album from metalcore quartet Trivium. And needless to say, this is a very good album and even better with the 3 extra bonus tracks. So, enough introduction, here is the review.

What Is Good About The Album?

Well, there is plenty of good stuff on 'Ember To Inferno'. Many of the songs are notable for exceptional songwriting, others riffs or solos and some have very good lyrical content. The pick of bunch track wise would have to be Pillars Of Serpents, If I Could Collapse The Masses, Fugue (A Revelation), Falling To Grey, When All Light Dies and the breathtaking Blinding Tears Will Break The Skies. Well, tht is six classics and the other songs are pretty good as well. Overall, the lyrics on the album are excellent. The songwriting skills are definitely on par with those of 'Ascendancy. The riffs are also very good as are the solos, if not as plentiful as on 'Ascendancy'. Despite the album being produced on German label Lifeforce Records, whom are very small in comparison to Roadrunner Records, the production of the album is excellent. The sound of the guitars is crisp and has a good tone and the bass can be heard with a fair amount of clarity on a number of tracks. The drumming is also very good and sounds great. The overall sound of the album is definitely very metal and more so than a lot of other metalcore bands. Nevertheless, it is of good quality and makes the album what it is.

What Is Not So Good About The Album?

There are definitely a few bug bears to pick off the album. Firstly, Matthew K. Heafy's voice is definitely a lot weaker than it was on 'Ascendancy', which is probably understandable. The clean vocals especially can be quite bad at times and need a lot of work. Another thing is that a lot of the songs sound quite samey and follow the same sort of pattern throughout, with shouted verses and clean vocals for the chorus. Then there might be a solo, or a stand-a-alone riff. So some may get a little bored and be thirsty for more variety. Also, I don't know whether anybody agrees with me on this one but it sure sounds as if Heafy is saying "falling to gay" rather than saying the title of the song in its chorus. Oh well.

Why Buy?

This album is definitely a solid one and is good value for money. Plus, as it is a re-released album, it is a couple of quid cheaper than previously, so its worth your hard-earned cash. There are some brilliant songs on the album (with my personal favourites being Pillars Of Serpents and Blinding Tears Will Break The Skies) and the rest are still pretty good if a little samey.

Track Ratings

Coheed and Cambria No World for TomorrowPig Destroyer Painter of Dead Girls
3.1
good
Locrian (2)
Aside from a few standout tracks, Ember to Inferno is often repetitive and boring, even if it does s...

BloodOfDemons (4.5)

Mike Stagno EMERITUS (2)

Utopia768 (5)

masada
September 4th 2005

I don't think you described the sound of the album at all. You might want to work on that a little bit.

September 4th 2005

thanks for the constructive criticism. i will look into it.

September 4th 2005

It wasn't a bad review. After hearing Ascendency I've learned that I hate Trivium, but I'll be seeing them live in November anyway.

September 4th 2005

where are you seeing them. i tried to get tickets for portsmouth on 27th of september but they sold out

September 4th 2005

I'm seeing them in Detroit on the 12th opening for Children of Bodom's world tour.This Message Edited On 09.04.05

September 4th 2005

Cool. I love CoB too. Both great bands but I suppose you are going for the main act though.
This Message Edited On 04.24.06

September 4th 2005

Yep. Children of Bodom = my favorite band, but I love Amon Amarth too.

Coup__D_Etat
September 4th 2005

I saw these guys at the Metal Hammer Awards back in June, they put on a good live show. They were pretty energetic on stage with the three standing players running their arses off, and with good use of multiple vocalists.

Pity I don't like them. I just find the singers vocals boring, especially in the newer stuff. They always seem very samey in the shouting sections.

NuMetalMania
December 26th 2005

Review wasnt to bad. Im glad im finnally getting into these guys, Ascendency is a much better album though.

nu~metalist
December 27th 2005

i love the riffs in this album and the song fugue gets me pump up and makes me wanna through a right cross

January 25th 2006

Fugue is a great song and has amazing lyrics
"God machine reproduce
Untruth is this my fate
Coerced my life laid to waste
Untruth is this my fate
Coerced my life laid to waste
All hail execution"

February 5th 2006

Pillars of Serpents is better though, but thats because its in my top 3 favourite Trivium songs

jimay333
February 8th 2006

This album was released in 2003. Or are you talking about the re-release? Even so you should edit this somehow.

February 10th 2006

I am talking about the re-release, hence the addition of the bonus tracks, marked with a * on the tracklist. It also blatantly says it is the re-release at the top of the review...
"This is the re-release of the debut album from metalcore quartet Trivium."

March 2nd 2006

"it sure sounds as if Heafy is saying "falling to gay""

Totally agree, I dont know why they didnt rerecord the chorus, it makes a very good song sound kinda retarded

Remial4
April 13th 2006

Some of this stuff on the album is quite repetitive. IDK if its just me but it isn't the best of starts.

Bfhurricane
April 13th 2006

I like this album a lot, Trivium grew in technicality in "Ascendancy" but I think this still might be a little better, i go back and forth a lot.

SCREAM!
April 28th 2006

Good review for a great cd! But why r u always comparing it 2 ascendancy. This one came out before ascendancy so its kinda normal that they arent as good as on the new cd.

Digging: Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere

Turkish
May 6th 2006

I much prefer this album to Ascendency, has some great songs like Fugue, Requiem, To Burn the Eye, and Falling to Grey.

SCREAM!
May 6th 2006

But ascendancy has Pull Harder On The..., A Gunshot..., Like Light..., Rain(at leat i think its a great song), Ascendancy and Declaration. And Falling To Grey is a great song but it really does sound like hes saying Falling To Gay. Both CDs are great but i think Ascendancy is better.This Message Edited On 05.07.06