EAT ME RAW
All My Friends

2.0
poor

by James Jaskolka USER (10 Reviews)
January 10th, 2010 | 22 replies | 9,239 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Catchy Pop Punk ruined by pointless breakdowns...Or is it vice versa?

If you've heard his acoustic project, NeverShoutNever, you probably know that EMWIH! frontman Christopher Ingle has a knack for writing hooks. The scene-sation has inspired more fantasies of twelve year old girls decked out in neon than I can dare to imagine, and this band is most likely for the same purpose, except this time, Ingle sets out to give all those bros sporting A Day To Remember shirts a reason to "start the pit".

While listening to "All My Friends", I can honestly say I think I found his inspiration. It sounds rather like Ingle took ADTR's breakout sophmore record "For Those Who Have Heart", took what made it so popular amongst scenesters, and then tried (and failed) to intensify it by pushing the heavy side and the poppy side to its limits. You have everything in the typical pop core formula: downtuned guitars chugging away, key board effects, plentiful double bass kicks, clean choruses, screamed verses, and breakdowns, breakdowns, breakdowns.

The sad thing is though, Ingle does have the ability to write good songs, as previously stated. The pop side of this album is pretty good, even if it's been done before. "Screw The Standard" is a terrific example of how to write a catchy chorus. Ironically, the hardcore side of the band, while generic, is also not terrible. The crunchy southern rock riff and the breakdown in aforementioned song are actually alright. The breakdown is suprisingly heavy, coming from a whole bunch of pop kids, and the two step keyboard part in album opener "The Two-Armed Man" was honestly interesting. The problem, however, is combining the two. All of these things together, while good on paper, is random and slightly jolting. The breakdowns come out of nowhere and are completely unnecessary, and reverting back to catchy choruses after each one isn't enough to save the album.

In the end, it seems like Christopher Ingle put this together as a marketing technique to get more scene girls singing along. Take a listen for yourself, and hear the upbeat sing-along choruses, and wince as a pointless chug-a-lug breakdown follows. Then laugh at just how cliche the whole thing has become.

Motionless in White CreaturesThink Big! Losing Ground
Hawthorne Heights The Silence in Black and WhiteThe Wonder Years The Upsides
We Came As Romans To Plant a SeedMotionless in White When Love Met Destruction
poor
Adam Thomas STAFF (2)
Taking pop-mosh to new lows....

XALBUMX

Treska

I HATE CHRISTOPHER DREW

January 10th 2010

Christopher Drew Ingle, I believe it is? :p yeah. He's a douche.

Treska
January 10th 2010

i wanna straight murder him. just to stop the music from coming outta him

Athom

shit.

Yazz_Flute
January 10th 2010

I hate Chris Drew. And I hate all the scene girls at my school that love him even if some are moderately sexy.

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

dansxdead
January 10th 2010

He's going to be a pedophile from all his 12 year old fan base.

sspedding

vile

BrahTheSunGod
January 11th 2010

points for using the term "scene-sation" in a review haha, I laughed

that said, your rating reads as a little high, more of a 2 (poor) than 2.5 (average). There is no way in hell that this album can be flattered up to "average".

January 11th 2010

BrahTheSunGod, I put a 2.5 because it's catchy as hell, even if it is overdone and generic.

supertouchox2
January 11th 2010

i havn't hated a band in ages :/

Comatorium.
January 11th 2010

this is beyond awful. he makes brokencyde look good...

January 11th 2010

I think I did flatter this a little too much....Changed to 2.

ArmyOfRage

I think I've heard enough of this from my 12 year old sister -_-

Yazz_Flute

Is she hot?

SHAKEandBAKE
January 11th 2010

Hey nice review man. Pos'd. "Scene-sation" was great haha did you come up with that yourself?

bodominflames, LMFAO. and yesss I did SHAKEandBake

deepintheorchard
February 3rd 2011

Not as bad or generic as you guys think.

Scoot
February 3rd 2011

yes it is

Digging: Unjust - Glow

Redman54
February 27th 2011

Scoot
February 27th 2011

It should be illegal for Christopher Drew to write and perform any kind of music [23439612834912864]