Brand New
Daisy

1.5
very poor

by Killer9 USER (1 Reviews)
January 9th, 2010 | 85 replies | 8,280 views

Review Summary: Brand New fans, get out your tissues.

A band that require no introduction I am here to present one of the most hyped albums of 09. Being a Brand New fan of the highest caliber I'll give you a quick history/sound run down. Usually Brand New are at the top of their pop-punk game with their debut "Your Favorite Weapon" gained them not only a cult following in their hometown of Long Island but also worldwide. Their success was made even more renowned by the release of the emotional masterpiece "Deja Entendu". Many didn't know where Brand New would go from there so when "The Devil and God" was dropped fans were floored by its awe inspiring musicianship matched only by Jesse Lacey deeply emotional vocals. So where do Brand New go from the top? The obvious answer of course, down.

Don't let the amazing opener fool you, the rest of the album holds no ground with "Vices" a track that starts off with the cliche church chimes but ends in some of the best screams I have ever heard. The album quickly bores however with the introduction of the track "Bed" in which Laceys vocals don't seem sad but more so lazy. If you manage to get past that bore fest be prepared for Lacey to throw on his "southern" accent on "At the Bottom". The lyrics on the track are fairly terrible "And if I wanted to die before I got old I should've started some years ago diggin that hole". And then a thought comes to my mind as the lyrics corrode my brain, hey maybe you should bury that hillbilly accent your using, that's a thought. You'd think a song like "Gasoline" would rev the album up a little but maybe Lacey huffed it all and that's why he got lazy and didn't want to write the lyrics to his songs anymore. "Bought a Bride" gets slightly interesting but is ruined as the band seem to want to be loud for the sake of being loud.

The rest of the album doesn't fare much better. If you really want to hear Lacey whisper whine and scream about crap in his slightly hillbillish accent than I guess this album is the bees knees. Many Brand New fans will be dissapointed but they'll take it with a grimace because you never know Lacey could conjure another fantastic outing as he has shown before. Who knows what the future holds, but I know one thing, I'm going to stay far away from this rotten smelling "Daisy"

January 9th 2010

I think all of the 10 reviews have mentioned the history of Brand New somewhere in the review.

DiceMan

matched only by Jesse Lacey deeply emotional vocals

A band that require no introduction < This sounds wierd.

be prepared for Lacey to throw on his "southern" accent on "At the Bottom". Uhh... What?

accent your using< you can't use your and you're right.

Review reeks of pretentious bullshit, Lacey didn't change his diction a bit from album to album. You're dumb.

Bad troll is bad.

scotish
January 9th 2010

a cult following in their hometown of Long Island but also worldwide.

lmao

but yeah. if you want serious feedback, you blamed the whole album on Jess Lacey aparrantly being terrible

jagride
January 9th 2010

I pos'd your review, even though you're an idiot. This needs a negative review but you should fix this review up and go into more detail

TheEnforcer
January 9th 2010

Review is rather lacking and very non descriptive. With a lot of work however you might get you point across better but I'm going to have to neg for now.

jagride
January 9th 2010

The whole pos'ing/negging obsession is pretty amusing. I mean, lots of poorly written reviews get
pos'd just because people agree with the fanboy that wrote it. It's just pointless and should be
scrapped. Regardless, i pos every review.

robertsona
January 9th 2010

i didnt read this but i negged it lmao owned

DiceMan
January 9th 2010

I would agree with what someone said earlier about this needing a negative review because there are some absolutely godawful tracks on it. But this isn't the shitty negative review the album needs.

EVedder27
January 9th 2010

This album is way over-hyped and dissapointing but is in no way a 1.5. Your points are terrible.

robertsona
January 9th 2010

jk i read it and i pos'd it which im not sure if that makes it a pos or just balances out my neg but at the very least it does something

January 9th 2010

learn how to spell and learn basic grammar

SHAKEandBAKE
January 9th 2010

I agree with you about his annoying accent on "At the Bottom."

bungy
January 9th 2010

I agree with you about Brand New having an album called "Deja Entendu"

Emim
January 9th 2010

I agree with myself negging this.

Burn2Burn

THEY DON'T SWIM 'CAUSE THEY'RE ALL DEAD

January 9th 2010

I don't get why you're blaming Lacey when Vince wrote a majority of the songs.

Athom
January 9th 2010

You should listen to some old modest mouse and jesus lizard.

AnotherBrick
January 9th 2010

haha i agree with ya killer, but i'm also not a huge brand new fan

actappalled696
January 9th 2010

To give this album a 1.5 is sheer stupidity. Whether you liked it or not, that is not criticism. It is loud, it is boisterous, it is jumbled, ok; it's NOT Daisy. Maybe you're right; this album was overhyped, and did receive far too many auto-5 ratings.

But a 1.5 is not criticism. Maybe this album deserves a 3.

And when you're tasked with reviewing an album, you don't say "these 3 songs were shit." You use the specific songs, and as many songs as it takes to purely exemplify the pros and cons of an album. You mentioned 3 songs, said they were shit, and didn't really stop to explain why, other than to say that the vocals on "Bed" were "lazy". The song is called BED. sounds sleepy to me...

"The vocals were LAZY. Jesse Lacey was LAZY."

Don't waste my time posting reviews if you're not going to write a review. This wasn't a review, just an angry rant about how this band doesn't sound the way YOU want them to. You're a disgrace to this website. I didn't even like this album. I would never go out of my way to defend it. But you have successfully written the most inane, unhelpful review I've seen in a long time on Sputnik. Don't write back to me "You're an idiot fanboy, this album was awful." None of that is relevant. Just by giving the album a 1.5, you've become the fanboy - so obsessed with it that you had to give it a shocking rating to make a point.

January 9th 2010

It's Killer9.... he just did it for the attention broski.

Giving this album a 4.5 is a little crazy too don't you think?