Spite Extreme Wing
Non dvcor, dvco

by B R A N D O N S C O T T USER (103 Reviews)
January 6th, 2010 | 13 replies | 3,953 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Formed in 1998, Spite Extreme Wing were a Black Metal band based in Genoa, Italy. Before the band's untimely demise in 2008, they released some of the most criminally underrated Black Metal records of all time, which also have unfortunately gone generally unnoticed. While each release had had its own unique qualities to separate it from the others, it's 2004's Non Dvcor, Dvco that takes the prize of the being the bands rawest and darkest affair, taking the listener through a labyrinth-like journey of twisting and turning Black Metal scorchers.

While previous record Magnificat featured a more complicated, lush form of composition in it's song-writing, Non Dvcor, Dvco strips back the sound of Spite Extreme Wing to it's rawest and most primal forms. The song's are longer, darker and much, much more aggressive. A perfect example is the title track Non Dvcor, Dvco, which shies away from the Melodic Black Metal of the past, and delves into more Black/Thrash rooted territory. The riffs are savage bursts of tremolo picked guitar fury, backed by rapid, unrelenting blast beats and hellish screech vocals. A distinct 80's Bay Area thrash influence is also clearly felt, with the band at some points sounding like a stripped down version of Testament, or Dark Angel. While this album is clearly more intense then their previous release, all melody is not forgotten, with songs like In Su La Vetta and Il Sole Di Notte E La Rivolta fusing furious Black/Thrash with equally fierce melodies.

Although the majority of Non Dvcor, Dvco consists mainly of harsh stripped down Black Metal, the album also has it's fair share of experimentation as well. The track Decadenza begins with an almost Metallica-like clean picked guitar section with sounds of distant explosions in the background. As the song continues, more elements are added, including a creepy, melancholic piano-line that perfectly harmonizes with the guitars. Next track Disperazione - Il Ciclo Si Chiude is mostly a 90's inspired Black Metal tune, that incorporates some excellent atmospherics into it's being towards the middle of the song. As with last album, each member of the band performs at their best, with each instrument bringing their own certain and unique pleasures. Guitar-wise, the pleasure is the stripped down approach, bringing back vivid memories of 90's Black Metal, while keeping it modern as well by incorporating melody. Bass player Azoth really shines, with his playing prominent in the mix, and his technique perfect. Drummer Fog also does a great job, providing solid and technical percussion to each and every song.

Even after one listen it doesn't take a genius to realize the quality of Spite Extreme Wing's sophomore effort [i]Non Dvcor, Dvco[i]. The album is the perfect blend of aggression and harmony, balancing the two evenly, to make for maximum enjoyability. While each and every Spite Extreme Wing's albums is diverse in their own way, Non Dvcor, Dvco will always remain known as the rawest of the bunch, paying homage to the bands that created the genre in which they love.

Cara Neir The OverwatchCarved Cross Demo III
Black Beasts IIAzarath Blasphemers' Maledictions
Doth Datura WrightiiCara Neir Sublimation Therapy

January 6th 2010

Why must all the good bands die so young.

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

Ponton

[i]Non Dvcor, Dvco[i]

Saw this in the last paragraph. Other than that, good stuff man.

January 6th 2010

A crap, thanks man! Discover anymore good bands?

Ponton
January 6th 2010

I've found a few that I may plan to review in the future, but as for now, I plan to just digest what I have.

illmitch
January 6th 2010

title is latin for "I am not led, I lead"

badass

January 6th 2010

10 years is not young. Good review, i'm burned out on metal at the moment.

Digging: My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

Grimlin
January 6th 2010

Good review. Lyrically, this is their best album as it is based entirely on the writings of Julius Evola. Check him out. He's an interesting fellow.

Relinquished
January 6th 2010

hell yeah Genoa, Italy. Hometown, bitches.

Thanks Grimlin.

And are you from Genoa Relinquished? Thats awesome

January 6th 2010

I might just skip their next album and go straight to Vltra for my next review, because it's their best imo and i'm antsy to review it.

January 6th 2010

Have you possibly considered not reviewing black metal for awhile? Or at least slowing downa bit.

January 6th 2010

I mean, yeah. I was gonna finish the Spite extreme reviews, and then i really wanna do one for Senses Fail and Buckethead. Why slow down though?

Betacra
February 15th 2012

Jesus christ why is this band so overlooked?

All their stuff is amazing.