A Day to Remember
Homesick

by Hunter Ramirez USER (39 Reviews)
January 6th, 2010 | 16 replies

Review Summary: Yep this is exactly what I remember

This album helped blow A Day to Remember up pretty huge, but remember the day when A Day to Remember (see what I did there?) wasn't sought after by every scene kid who wanted "BR00T4L" screams with their usual poppy music? I sure do. For Those Who Have Heart, was one of those rare gems for me. I'm not usually into this kinda music, but A Day to Remember made it a fun listen while still keeping their much precious manliness intact. However they pretty much ruined that with a re-release of the album with a cover of “Since U Been Gone” while I enjoyed the cover. Trend following scene kids started to stick to the band like flies to poo. It’s very apparent that this band blew up, but the real question is, do they still sound like what they were to begin with?

For the most part yes, but they did tone down on the screams during the first half of the album, opting for a more pop punk sound. While the opening track and most well known single “The Downfall of Us All” is indeed a fun song, I got to admit that it loses that energy after a few listens. “My Life for Hire” is mostly a pop punk song for the most part (though some growls can be heard in the beginning), it’s nothing special really, but nothing terrible either. “I’m Made of Wax Larry, What Are You Made Of?” (taken from a Night at the Museum), is the first real blast of metalcore you can on this album, as front man throws back and forth between his screams and growls. Mike of The Devil Wears Prada does guest vocals, but is short lived and overall quite pointless. Overall it's a nice song to compliment the song before, and gets you back to why you liked this band in the first place. “NJ Legion Ice Tea” has to be the funniest and most energetic song on the entire album, sure there’s no metal, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good listen. “Mr.Highway is Thinking About the End” is the band opening up with a mid-tempo metalcore sound, indeed all the metal fans of this band have finally found that next song to be looking for. In fact the only singing is found on the chorus and outro. “Have Faith in Me” is the band trying to be even softer then before, but is a dull listen, as no energy, no fun, or anything for that matter really captures my attention. “Welcome to the Family” is the band at one of it’s heaviest moments yet, which makes up for the overall slight pop focus. Guest vocals from The Acacia Strain’s own Vincent really helps the band along, even sounding deathcore-ish at a few points. “Homesick”, “Holdin’ It Down for the Underground”, “You Already Know What You Are”, and “Another Song about the Weekend” just kinda seamlessly blend together, it’s the band trying to be heavy without focus, and trying to be pop without having fun. All dull listens. The last song “If It Means A Lot to You” is actually a fine ballad, although Jeremy’s vocals are outshined by Sierra of VersaEmerge.

If you want brutal screams with pop music, you got it! If you want pop punk music for your fun little listens on your way to school, you got it! You want a band that hasn’t been caught up in too many clichés of both genres….look somewhere else. If you were a fan of the band before, this won’t turn you away, and newcomers may find something they like, but overall it’s a by the book metalcore/pop punk album.

Recommended Songs-

Have Faith in Me
Homesick
You Already Know What You Are
Holdin It Down for the Underground

Mushroomhead Beautiful Stories For Ugly ChildrenBury Your Dead Beauty and the Breakdown
Turbid North OrogenyBeneath The Sky In Loving Memory
Lil Jon Crunk RockKing Conquer Decomposing Normality
3.2
good

Constructive criticism!

I already know I'm gonna get flamed by the thousands for this.

Inveigh
January 6th 2010

I have never once listened to this band. The review, while well-written, doesn't really make me want to try them out either -- I doubt they'd be my cup of tea.

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

January 6th 2010

It's an average review, might have been a tad too negative though.

WhiteWallStargazers
January 6th 2010

this album gets so much hate....

TRMshadow
January 6th 2010

good review. By how you talked about the album in the earlier part of the review, I felt you'd give it a better score though, like a 3 or 3.5.

Emim

A Day to Remember = Average meh

SmurkinGherkin
January 6th 2010

Bad

Jom
January 6th 2010

I don't know why every review has "Have Faith in Me" as a skippable track... it seems like it's easily one of their better songs. "If It Means a Lot to You" is still awesome.

DiceMan
January 6th 2010

Last song is great, could care less about the others.

January 6th 2010

Yeah, as I've said, I might be too negative.
I'm planning on doing on more positive reviews, cause I feel that most of my reviews have been nothing but "this album's okay".

MrHotMoms
January 6th 2010

negged because of first paragraph.

reviews that hold a band accountable for its fans = neg city.

grow an opinion.

Dryden
January 6th 2010

this band is pretty terrible

January 6th 2010

I'm was saying that the sudden interest in a band can ruin one (Atreyu, Shadows Fall, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, almost any metalcore band), and the band changes their sound from what made them popular in the first place.

But whatever dude, if your gonna neg me cause of the first paragraph, then I don't want your approval.

Fapper
January 6th 2010

Have faith in me, Holding it Down and You Already Know What You Are are probably the three best songs on here.

January 6th 2010

I could only remember what Faith sounded like to me, and I usually just skipped it. The other two didn't have that lasting impression on me.

Shadein
January 7th 2010

Have Faith in Me is the first song i listened to by them and one of my favorites by them