Brand New
Daisy

by Super Grover USER (32 Reviews)
January 3rd, 2010 | 19 replies

Review Summary: Daisy is the slightly mentally unstable cousin that you only really see at the occasional family get-together who just goes around making weird faces and shouting "WE NEED VICES!" really loud at you.

Let's face it--- Jesse Lacey has become an absolute nutbag, Whether one liked The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me and hated Brand New's fourth release, Daisy, vice versa, or had some other odd combination of preferences, they cannot deny that some event in between the two latest album's releases caused him to go absolutely bonkers. Hate the so-called new direction the band is headed? Lacey couldn't care less. He's probably lathering himself in peanut butter while dancing in his grandmother's panties right now, so obviously what some shmuck thinks of his latest record is the least of his worries at the moment.

If Your Favorite Weapon could be described as a little sister, Deja Entendu and The Devil and God are rival siblings, and Daisy is the slightly mentally unstable cousin that you only really see at the occasional family get-together and just goes around making weird faces and shouting "WE NEED VICES!" really loud at you. There isn't too much on Daisy that could be considered inviting, and you'd be hard-pressed to find too many accessible moments outside of the first and last minutes of the album. This isn't to say Brand New has evolved into some sort of prog-metal behemoth spewing out ten-minute epics at will, but where the band's first three releases chose to sugar-coat their riffs and sheath their blades at times, Daisy holds nothing back (just compare "Be Gone" to "Untitled"). While this style often walks the line between captivating ("Gasoline") and messy ("In a Jar"), it's refreshing to hear the band inject some chaos into tracks like opener "Vices," in which a mellow opening segment is cut short by Lacey's frantic screams.

Still, Daisy isn't a total dismissal of the band's former sound. If there's one skill Lacey has possessed throughout his tenure as Brand New's vocalist, it's the ability to convey his emotion to the listener. On "Jude Law and a Semester Abroad," you felt his hopelessness. When the guitars came in on "Limousine," you wanted to cry. And when he shouted "A storm is coming in" in "Degausser," you ran to go check your local weather listings. Daisy doesn't possess the same raw emotion of either of the band's prior two albums, but Lacey and company are still more than able to work up some power, as is evident from "Sink"'s explosive chorus, which will be followed by more than a few nervous glances over your shoulder in case he decides to hold true on his shrieked promise that he's "coming to get you." "You Stole" is a mellow, mid-tempo standout that is reminiscent of a better (yes, better) "Jesus Christ," and "At the Bottom" is as slick and polished as Brand New gets on the album.

The one aspect that really holds back Daisy as compared to earlier efforts is the lack of an inventive sound. With The Devil and God, Brand New seemed to be carving out their own path. While Daisy isn't a step backwards musically, it treads ground that other bands have walked before much more so than The Devil and God or even Deja. A couple tracks, namely "In a Jar," fall flat due to a repetitive instrumental formula (the slow verses followed by the explosive, screaming choruses in "Sink" and "Bought a Bride" grow a little tiresome) and over-reliance on Lacey's vocals. Still, Daisy is enjoyable as what it is--- a lovable mess. It's not magnificent and it's certainly not pretty, but it surprisingly satisfies expectations more than an attempt to recreate past glory would have.

Friendzone DXThe Twilight Singers Blackberry Belle
The National Trouble Will Find MeAlice in Chains The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
The Airborne Toxic Event Such Hot BloodMeat Puppets Rat Farm

January 3rd 2010

This is so unnecessary but the first paragraph randomly popped into my head and I really wanted to finish it.

scotish
January 3rd 2010

summary got a genuine lol from me, and it's pretty apt cos it touches on how you can like and dislike this album at the same review. review after that wasn't bad, didn't seem particularly grabbing. it's good to see a review that's not dribbling all over the album though.

AtavanHalen

HEY GUYZ CHEK OUT MAH SHOUTBOX

January 3rd 2010

He's changed the genres! Make him a mod!

Titan50

pos

theacademy

neg

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

DiceMan
January 3rd 2010

meh... indifferent, except that I don't think that Jesse is a nutbag.

Titan50
January 3rd 2010

Jesse is the only sane person here

January 3rd 2010

Yeah I gotcha, it's supposed to be a parody of the "You know how Jesse Lacey always seemed like he was
about to lose it..." etc. but whatever. I guess it didn't come out how I expected

greg84
January 3rd 2010

Completely disagree about In A Jar. This siong is gripping and dramatic. Also, the choruses to Sink and Bought A Bride don't grow tiresome in my view. On the other hand, Gasoline is one of the two weaker tracks on here. The review is well-written, but I just don't agree. Neither a pos nor a neg from me.

Digging: Dope Body - Lifer

January 3rd 2010

Awesome review and you made some great analogies...the only thing I completely disagree with is the notion that "You Stole" is in any way close to being better than "Jesus".

Digging: Zella Day - Zella Day

first paragraph is retarded

AliW1993
January 3rd 2010

decent review, i agree with lots of it, but i thought you focused too much on comparing this to their previous releases.

Both Chan and Ali have legitimate points

EVedder27
January 3rd 2010

last sentence of the first paragraph made me laugh. Album was a big dissapointment for me.

Aids
January 3rd 2010

Really good review, I don't know what the deal with the two negs is.

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

DhA

well written review

PeteyThePistol
January 4th 2010

pos'd and I agree with you on the whole "something must have happened to him" because the content in the albums got so much darker and somber. however I think the album is higher than 3.5 obviously.

Ponton
January 4th 2010

Hmmm, not sure how I missed this. Good read bro.

I was personally underwhelmed by this considering how good Devil and God is.