Sevendust
Seasons

by choobakka USER (1 Reviews)
January 2nd, 2010 | 21 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The most radio-friendly album by the pioneers of the nineties metall

The nineties gave birth to a number of the so-called “nu-metal bands” like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Staind and many others. But I would like to write about a band that seems quite underrated to me, because not many people out there even know/remember them.

“Seasons” was their first album I purchased. That time the album just blew me away, however after buying some of their other stuff, I realized that it was great but not their best effort so to say. But… “Seasons” introduced me to Sevendust, it introduced me to the band I still enjoy listening to.

The album is really melodic and radio-friendly, it has got its hooks and groove, but at the same time it is quite repetitive. *Cough* “Hold on here we go”… “Seasons”, “Broken Down”, “Enemy”, “Separate”, “Burned out” and so forth… All of these songs are based on the same formula “intro+verse+chorus+bridge+chorus+outro”… All of them had the potential to become a hit-single, what “Enemy” and “Broken Down” actually did. Each of the album’s songs has got some memorable vocal lines by Lajon and Clint, groovy guitar riffs by John and Clint respectively, great beats by Morgan. However, the bass is almost inaudible on most songs, though nobody says that Vinnie is a bad bass player. Unfortunately the only song that you can hear his bass work clearly is “Honesty” whose verses are driven by his bass.

Each song is quite catchy, but after listening to the whole album for the first time, it is quite difficult to tell one song from another…

The track that clearly stands out apart from the hit-singles “Enemy” and “Broken Down” is “The Skeleton Song”. The acoustic dark ballad which to my mind is the main highlight of the entire album shows more “mellow” side of Sevendust. Guitar arpeggios, harmonics, and outstanding vocal lines by Clint and Lajon immerse a listener into a dark atmospheric song.

Speaking about the arrangement and musicianship, I must say that Lajon’s vocals are really good, Clint does some good backing vocals as well. As for the other aspects, each member of the band provided the album with some good work, however, their more recent efforts had some trickier guitar/bass/drums parts than this one. But as I’ve already mentioned this is Sevendust’s most radio-friendly album, assuming that the album practically has nothing too complicated. Still you won’t feel that it’s BSB singing to you.

As for the overall impression, this effort is good, enjoyable and really has its moments. Though some of the tracks are quite repetitive and hard to distinguish, you still have chances that they might get stuck in your heads for a long period.

A good album, though not a classic one by the great band which continues to make us head-bang up-to-date.

Ethereal Space Yogurt (3.5)
Bro Metal....

evilpenguin4713 (4)

January 2nd 2010

I'd consider merging some of your paragraphs together, and maybe combine some of the ideas in each into one. While this is your review (read: your opinion), I get a bit too much of "your voice" coming through, if that makes any sense at all.

Oh, and Animosity was their most radio friendly album.

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

Jesuslaves

This is kinda dull.

January 2nd 2010

I think it's their best effort after Home.

Relinquished

No not really.

Jesuslaves
January 2nd 2010

Home is probably their worst one.

January 2nd 2010

Hush your 2.5 rating! There's something about this album I really like, once I realise what it is i'll tell you.

Relinquished

That's their best one.

Eclectic
January 2nd 2010

Decent review, my advice is the same as Deviant's, just merge your ideas into bigger paragraphs and perhaps expand upon them after that.
I would have to call "Hope And Sorrow" their most radio friendly (they had fucking Chris Daughtry on it for godsakes)

choobakka
January 2nd 2010

2 Deviant and Eclectic: Thank you, i'll definitely take your advice into account!

Rules.

jingledeath
January 2nd 2010

Band used to be one of my favorites and though I don't listen to them anymore, I don't think I'll ever dislike their material.

PayneTiger777
January 2nd 2010

Yah, anything Sevendust review. Seasons was definitely their softest album, but is still really good. Nothing will ever top Animosity imo. It's nice to see that some people on sputnik still appreciate these guys. They are some of the nicest guys you will ever meet and they put on a great show. I heard they are currently recording a new album that should be due out sometime this year, and with Clint back in the band, it will be awesome.

January 2nd 2010

I don't know dude, Clint joined them for Chapter 7 and that was pretty bad.

renegadestrings
January 2nd 2010

i feel like i'm the only one who really enjoyed chap. 7...
this album is lazy, i've never been able to give it an honest lesson. the only song that doesn't bore the shit out of me is the title track

January 3rd 2010

There were moments in Chapter 7 that were pretty good, idk I guess I just expected more from them what with Clint rejoining and all.

TheSpirit
January 3rd 2010

This is the only Sevendust album i actually own but "seperate" is amazing so it would probably always be my favorite anyways.

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

renegadestrings

TheSpirit
January 3rd 2010

i like all the tracks on this and it is the only album i have heard in full, so obviuosly its my fav, but i do admit i could probably use more Sevendust in my life

January 3rd 2010

"i think maybe you should give it another listen. the album had some very good, if dreary, tracks on it. i really enjoyed "Fear" and "Walk Away""

Was that to me renegade? You're right, I haven't heard it in awhile. Probably time for another spin.

choobakka
January 3rd 2010

2 Deviant: Chapter 7 featured Sonny Mayo, Clint joined the band only after the album's release.

By the way I really like Chapter 7 and consider it to be one of Sevendust's best albums. "Inside", "Walk Away", "Prodigal Son" are wicked tracks!