Make Do and Mend
Bodies Of Water

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
January 1st, 2010 | 21 replies | 10,625 views

Review Summary: Anybody else find interest in their favorite artists' music taste?

Did you know that one of Jesse Lacey’s favorite records of all time is In the Aeroplane Over the Sea? Perhaps you may not have guessed that Brit Daniels’ (of Spoon fame) favorite release of the past decade was Bright Eyes - Lifted or the Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground. Personally, I think it’s interesting investigating my favorite artists music taste. Many times, it’s heartening to see similarities, but it’s even more fulfilling when you’re turned onto a new, relatively unknown band. While scouring my latest favorite band’s website, I noticed that La Dispute listed Make Do And Mend - Bodies Of Water as one of their favorite 2009 releases. Hm? La Dispute, you say you listen to this band extensively alongside Touche Amore (which both Make Do And Mend and La Dispute are working on a split with)? Well, consider said 6-song EP, Bodies of Water, on the top of my “to-listen-to” list.

Melodic post-hardcore with gruff vocals along the lines of Chuck Ragan, is what I think to myself after only a few songs. Give me a little credit, because this hasty description hits the nail on the head. Bodies of Water like their melody with a little post-hardcore on the side, in that order. The riffs are uptempo and delightful, really. Make Do And Mend take more than a few cues from Hot Water Music, but I’m not complaining- the result is fitting and stupendous. The product is songs like “TL,” fast-moving and dynamic, proving that Bodies of Water not only points toward a successful future but can stand on its own two feet. The guitars are nice, of course, but the real draw to Make Do And Mend has to be the vocals. Sincere and fitting, the lead singer pulls the sound together with his raspy Ragan-esque voice. The lyrics aren’t anything out of the ordinary (relationships, feeling alone, religion, etc.), but the vocals are incredibly catchy. Attempt listening to “Winter Wasteland” just once, I know I couldn’t do it.

After starting off a bit slow with “Shambles,” Make Do And Mend pick up the pace and don’t slow down for the next 5 songs. Their tight rhythmic rock draws from punk a little, but ultimately falls into the melodic post-hardcore category. The EP flows incredibly smoothly and before you know it you’re hearing the closing notes of “TL;” but it’s much easier to go right back to “Shambles” rather than stop listening, trust me.