Tha Joker
Family Ties Ent

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
December 31st, 2009 | 48 replies

Review Summary: "Rap game is hot wings, I am blue cheese."

Ahh…Mississippi – good times if you’re a fan of soda pop. Vicksburg - where the first Coca-Cola was bottled in 1891, and Biloxi – where root beer was invented in 1898. If you’re Teddy Roosevelt, not so much, where he got heat for refusing to shoot a captured bear in 1902. And, if you’re a rap fan, not at all, while other cities have at least one big artist, Mississippi doesn’t even have a “city” to pull from. But recently, a young cat named Jade Harris stepped into the limelight. Another Mississippi to Georgia transfer, under-20 MC Tha Joker is popping up on the rap radar, even in mainstream minds. Never has arrogance come in such a heaping portion from a sub-twenty rapper…unless you count Soulja Boy as a rapper.

But, Tha Joker would probably have me murdered for comparing him to Soulja Boy, as seen in “Hiding.” Which is only a mere warmup for Tha Joker’s comical metaphors and punchlines (“I’ll have you toe tagged, like you were selling feet.”) although varying in content. Rather than dropping rhymes about violence, the majority of Tha Joker’s lines are boastful statements about his wonderful life, except brilliantly executed. Ranging from clever, quick one liners, “M&M jeans, I keep big nuts in ‘em.” to a fiery streak of hilarities, “Three, two, one blast off you bastards/Space ship doors my garage is NASA/Hedgehog game I am much faster/You are a lizard, I am raptor/When I hit the club or stage I party hard/With these hoes naked like every day was Mardi Gras/See I’m seventeen and I have an accountant/You’re seventeen and you get an allowance.” Tha Joker keeps his lyrical game on lock, and it’s assisted by some solid MCing featuring uptempo, at times intricate flows and, surprisingly enough – considering he’s young – a likable voice. But this album is killed by Big Fruit’s simple production formula of futuristic synths, heavy bass, and rapid drums makes it seem like the album is just different lyrics over one long-running beat. Which – while effective for emphasizing the lyrics (and therefore making it more enjoyable for lyrics-first people) – can lessen the album experience for a people who are big into production.

Other than the speedbump that is Nation's song (track #6), Family Ties Ent is a mashpot of arrogant, but hilarious lyrics; minimalist, but sufficient, production; and good, but not astounding MCing. This is “swag” done right. Tha Joker is a young phenom that stands out amongst the crowd of stupid snap rappers and R&B posers, and Family Ties Ent is foolproof evidence of this.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
4.4

hydeyomoney

nice review, but guessing from his last album its probably a 2.5-3.5

nope. 4/5 bro

December 31st 2009

I hate to say it but your review doesn't really justify the rating and you seem to go more into background detail rather than how the album actually sounds. unfortunately, neg'd

December 31st 2009

Firstly, I'm glad you explained your neg, but I want to learn more here. Because I'm still learning. I want you to expand on your second criticism, but first, a rating isn't really substantial, it's the reasoning behind it. I like this album as a four because of awesome lyrics, and good MCing, as for the production, it will suffice. That's what I conveyed in my review. So, please explain your second criticism.

My second criticism

while explaining the background details of the artist you seem to lose focus with statements such as

"likable voice"

you don't seem to describe how the album sounds or how the flow creates any atmosphere if it does at all.

December 31st 2009

I'll give you the voice thing. But I described the flows "intricate and uptempo"

What do you want me to do about flows for more detail? Make a (graph of syllables per second) per second for each song?

December 31st 2009

Oh no I wouldn't ask that

"intricate and uptempo"

Do the beats intertwine with high percussion or low percussion bridges? Do they fall flat and add nothing to the lyricism? Or do they flutter lightly through or around the mix while don't nothing to distinguish themselves at all?

December 31st 2009

All I am saying is that so much could have been done here and wasn't.

December 31st 2009

All I'm saying is your standards are pretty high. F.Y.I - I don't play any instruments, and have no experience in making music, so most of your terms fail on me. Please explain in "layman's" terms

December 31st 2009

You must forgive me I thought that since this is one of your later reviews that you had been an accomplished writer by listening to others criticism.

My own fault for neging this I only thought that you might have some scope of vocabulary but if this is how you construct your essays and this is your particular "style" I find it harder to fault you.

December 31st 2009

Yea it kinda is. I like my reviews to contain some fun facts, be medium in length, not get into too much detail, but get the point across.

Metalstyles
December 31st 2009

I like some of your reviews that I've read, but that there really is a poor poor reasoning. I understand your point and also your style of reviewing, but maybe it would be best to pick and learn rather than to submit a new review everyday. I mean, this ain't a competition after all, plus, besides you, hydeyomoney, sobhi and somberlain, there aren't many regular hip hop reviewers, so there's no big rush. You could just try and improve yourself, try to expand on your current knowledge and (reviewing)skills rather than to stay in your current comfort zone. You don't need to play an instrument yourself to know how it works/is played, reading and even observing helps to understand that too. All I'm saying is try to improve in general; improve your reviewing skills (not saying they're bad, but still) and expand your overall knowledge of the genre, instruments, vocal/playing techniques etc.

December 31st 2009

The best way to learn is repetition.

December 31st 2009

If you're doing it right in the first place, that is.

December 31st 2009

"plus, besides you, hydeyomoney, sobhi and somberlain, there aren't many regular hip hop reviewers, so there's no big rush."

Didn't see my review then did ya styles?

Digging: LV and Joshua Idehen - Islands

December 31st 2009

You reviewed one album broski.

It's a start man!

December 31st 2009

I don't see how this review is "bad." I mean, it's not staff reviewer-esque, but it's a solid review imo. I think TheEnforcer is either 1) An advanced troll, or 2) Has extremely high standards.

December 31st 2009

Honestly Bulldog, I wouldn't worry about it. I've got negs on my reviews with no reason given, at least this one took the time to tell you why. It's 1 user with 1 neg, ya can't please everyone. And if it turns out that the user is a troll, i'm sure the mod's would remove the neg.

December 31st 2009

All of your reviews read exactly the same. You have little regard for grammar and you are barely comprehensible outside of the hip-hop spectrum. Your critic was not trolling you and their standards were not high, however, that wouldn't be a bad thing if they were.