Senim Silla
The Name The Motto The Outcome

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
December 29th, 2009 | 11 replies | 4,444 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If you’re looking for important lyrics, welcome to some tip-top political, religious, philosophical and ideological rap. But where are the awing punchlines?

Despite its sound, Senim Silla is not a Muslim name, it’s “all is mines” backwards. And all is truly belonging to Ross Rowe, well…at least in the Waterworld’s rap scene. Despite Eminem ruling the mainstream, and Royce da 5’9” ruling the underground (in terms of Michigan rap), Binary Star was the best thing to come out of the Michigan rap scene. Their deep trains of thought and intricate wordplay made them a fan favorite amongst lyrical purist rap fans. But, Binary Star broke up following Masters of the Universe, resulting in One Be Lo and Senim Silla going their separate ways. Senim Silla finally produced an album in 2007, The Name The Motto The Outcome, and it’s much deeper than Masters of the Universe, but there’s quite a bit missing.

Despite being a great MC, the lyrics are always put into the forefront of a Senim Silla performance, especially considering the sample-ridden, often dark, lo-fi production. Despite being a lyrical whiz, Senim Silla sacrifices humor for meaning. The epic punchlines and metaphors he exhibited with Binary Star are absent, replaced with just- good, solid ones (“Thoughts take flight, like Japanese at Pearl Harbor”) giving this album a hollow feel in contrast to his Binary Star days. But, looks are so deceiving, this album is perhaps more dense and deep than most hip-hop albums. Rather than the typical meaningful rap which just contains bitter musings about project life, and American government, The Name The Motto The Outcome expands its bitterness towards the entire world, religion, people and life in general. Taking a more chaotic stance towards it, “F*ck law and order, f*ck government, f*ck media, f*ck church, got a problem with it – f*ck you,” with semi-sensible violence for reasons other than liking different colors. Senim Silla lashes out at the world low quality beats ranging from sounds such as acoustic to elevated and inspirational to dark to synth-y and upbeat, and pulls it off better than any other rapper could only hope to.

Despite a lacking supplement of incredible punchlines, The Name The Motto The Outcome is still a great listen, and is an awe-inspiring change of pace from the shoot-screw-spend mentality of most rap, and sends the listener into a dimension of pontification…and the immersion is beautiful.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
recommended by reviewer
Binary Star Masters of the Universe

hydeyomoney
December 29th 2009

nice review might check this out now man

December 29th 2009

its pretty good, but im still wondering where my damn punchlines are.

somberlain
December 29th 2009

Good review. never heard of him but this sounds interesting

hes really good

iisblackstar
February 3rd 2010

Checking him out now. Been loving the One Be Lo and Binary Star albums you rec'd.
Sounds pretty ill.

February 3rd 2010

This is much better than I originally rated it. But I still love this album. Right now, I'm listening to Masters of the Universe.

AllisMines
February 4th 2010

Nice review grandson...I appreciate that. Not many kats grasp the material like I want them to. Stay tuned tho...a whole lot more happening in 2010, including another Binary record. (we're working on it right now) Connect with us on facebook and twitter for updates. @sillafresh & @onebelo Rhythm

Silla

Ps. I've never been one for punchlines.

iisblackstar
February 4th 2010

yeah it definitely reads more like a 4 than a 3.5. I'm really, really liking this album, some songs with uplifting production and some with deeper and darker but he matches it all with his lyrics and flow really nicely.

P.S I pray that this ^ is legit. and im gonna assume that it is so i can say. FUCK YEAH

February 4th 2010

Yea I'm really hoping that's not a troll, cuz I fucking love Senim Silla. I want to start a religion around his and One Be Lo's lyrics practically. But I'll feel stupid if it's a troll.

Psilocyanide
March 10th 2011

Finally got this, pretty good. Binary Star really needs to get back together/ release that new album.

March 10th 2011