Big Tuck
Purple Hulk

good

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
December 27th, 2009 | 3 replies | 3,134 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This guy is Dallas's Slim Thug.

For a long time, Dallas has been Texas’s neglected rap community. Whilst its brother Houston has always thrived on the likes of successful and/or critically acclaimed rappers like Bun B, Z-Ro, Slim Thug, and Chamillionaire, Dallas was stuck with…well, I don’t really know. But in 2002, Big Tuck stepped on the scene, and although he failed to put Dallas on the map for good, he certainly became a regional success. With city anthems like “Southside da Realist” it’s easy to see why Big Tuck is possiblyDallas’s favorite son.

Having majored in it from Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Big Tuck knows how to play music, and having been a Marine Corps sergeant, Big Tuck knows his way around a piece. Put the two together, and you get some awesome hardcore rap. With Big Tuck’s authoritative, big boss voice; uptempo flow; and rockhard delivery go great with the production. Your typical club/driving instrumentals, Big Tuck consistently pairs sonic bass and futuristic synths, with some brass and drums on the side, making nothing substantial, but something entertaining. But what holds this album back is the average, average lyrics. Other than the occasional lyrical gem (“Rims lookin’ like the wheel of fortune”) and rare poop (rhyming seven-eleven three times in a row) Big Tuck’s lyrics mostly just suffice, as they speak of nothing of deep importance, and aren’t incredibly ghetto.

Big Tuck’s heavy hitting MCing, equally heavy hitting beats, and hardcore lyrics make this a good pickup, but it’s nothing that should see huge rotation numbers, due to lengthiness (1 hour, 20 minutes,) relatively shallow and displeasingly average lyricism. A good effort on Sgt. Tuck’s part, but this album could be improved greatly.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
good

hydeyomoney
December 28th 2009

nice review, sort of introduces the listener to Big Tuck.

Bulldog
December 28th 2009

that's what i was going for. also that and a sort of shorter review.

Bulldog
December 28th 2009

Yep. I mean, I've tried other genres, but nothing is like hip-hop. There are some R&B songs by rap artists I listen to on occasion, maybe a few reggae tracks in my library, some rock songs, but other than that, nope. We're talking like, 550 songs I have on my iTunes, only 30 aren't rap.