Shawty Lo
Units in the City

1.0
awful

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
December 27th, 2009 | 10 replies | 3,863 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: More like Shawty Lol

Gucci's form of music, trap rap, is finally coming to form comfortably. His true mainstream debut came up to #10 on the charts, and his wide group of affiliates are looking to blow up as well. Even lesser affiliates, the likes of Yo Gotti and Rocko, are coming into the spotlight as their own creatures lyrically, posesing styles that are between Gucci's slurred coke raps and Jeezy's harsh raspsings on the same subject. But in 2008, it was just on the verge of being ruined completely, by D4l founder Shawty LO. Shawty Lo's debut, Units in The City is exactly what you'd expect from a member of D4l, plus exactly ONE killer beat in the form of “Dey Know”, and is filled to the brim with unprofessional, garbage instrumentals and terrible one liners from Shawty Lo, who should've been banned from the mic years ago.

Shawty Lo, known as a founding member of snap rap pioneers D4L, for the most part abandons the snaps’n’claps on this album, and sticks to the bland plate of heaping bass and piles of synths. And if you finish your dinner, you MIGHT get the special treat of kicks. Although appearing good, the beats, if examined by themselves, are weak and little substance, and are only good in comparison to his terrible lyrics. The appeal of Shawty Lo is recognizable – his smoky, whispery voice and mellow somewhat conflict together, but sound better than his terrible lyrics, where he fails to come up with anything more than a big, fat cowpatty lyrically. Although he recognizes punchlines as existential, his attempts at them are just awful “I’m laughin’ at you niggas, like hahahaha,” which is probably why he just sticks to talking about how ‘awesome’ he is, and how much money he has.

In summary. Units In The City only shows a disabled lack of rap skills from Shawty Lo and an ear for only the most hallow beats. It's an album not worth your time, and not worth ANYONE'S TIME. Hell, Shawty Lo probably took more time into eating a sandwich than writing this album. This album is as shallow as any kiddie pool, but feels like Shawty Lo took a giant piss in it. He's not even the best member of D4l lyrically...

WHERE'S FABO WHEN YOU NEED HIM?!

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
awful

December 27th 2009

This was yet another duel review with my homie hydeyomoney.

CREDITS
hydeyomoney: 1st paragraph, 3rd paragraph, editing
Bulldog: 2nd paragraph, summary, editing

Foxhound
December 27th 2009

@bulldog I seriously hate that **** too. There should be some kind of box thing to see who's doing it.

Review was short and sweet pos'd

Jemidu06
December 27th 2009

this is awesome. shorty lol hahahaha

December 27th 2009

@StatikAndroid - You should take that idea to the mods.

@everybody else - thanks for the support, but I had a friend help me on this one.

Foxhound
December 27th 2009

Already have they said they don't do that so that there won't be any retaliation against users that neg your review. It sucks but at the same time I guess its a good thing.

AggravatedYeti
December 27th 2009

haha this assclown is still releasing albums?

December 27th 2009

@aggravatedyeti. This was his debut album back from 2007. And although he hasn't released another, he keeps popping up in features.

AggravatedYeti
December 27th 2009

I was counting mixes as well honestly (oops :D ), I had friends that used to listen to his shitty mix tapes with DJ scream.

either way this dude is awful, nice stuff.

December 27th 2009

@AggravatedYeti - I haven't seen any of his mixtapes on DatPiff. Although DatPiff is becoming infested with mainstream bullshit.

And I just realized Shawty Lo is under "rock," what the hell?

MUNGOLOID
December 29th 2009

my step-brothers once told me one of shawty lo's lyrical gems which is the following:

"i don't need beef i already ate some chicken."

i've tried to see what song shawty lo actually says this but i wouldn't be surprised if he did.