Aldebaran
Dwellers In Twilight

by Kyle Ward STAFF
December 22nd, 2009 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

When I read the title to the second track off of Dwellers In Twilight, a sixteen minute planetary collision called “Pillars Of Geph”, I knew that American sludge/doom metal band Aldebaran were all about business. Heavy, crushing, devastating business. The simple chord progressions are the tried and true formula of this sort of music, and here Aldebaran do just that, but manage to keep things intensely interesting with moments that break away from this motif. The small moments of simple melodies are hugely overshadowed by the plodding pace, backing powerful screams and synchronized cymbal crashes, but still manage to linger in your mind until they slowly return to the surface for air.

An immensely oppressing atmosphere which packs the heaviness of funeral doom but incorporates a lot of sludge into the sound, with higher-pitched screams which add loads of variety as well as a slight hardcore influence to the music when they slide their way in. The bass manages to work its way above the massively down-tuned and distorted guitars to add a new sound to the palate, especially noticeable during the brilliant riff which opens “Sightless And Silent Into Blackened Gulphs”. The aforementioned focus on atmosphere is really the driving force of the album, and helps make it the shortest forty-three minutes of doom I’ve come across. See, when I listen to doom I typically am aware that I am in the middle of a twenty minute song, but with Dwellers In Twilight the album has an uncanny ability to just melt away, due in part to its cunning use of faster-riffs (in comparison to the chords of songs like “Pillars Of Geph”) and also due to its sheer songwriting. Sure, it sounds easy to go out and write a three-track album which contains very little change in sound, but to do so and make the finished product not an insomnia medication takes a little something.

If you’re looking to get your face smashed in (slowly, mind you), but not looking for the heaviest thing in the world, then Dwellers In Twilight is sure to please. If you want a shockingly entrancing album, one which you’ll find yourself wanting to listen to time and again, then same to you. Aldebaran have crafted something really special here, a fine mix of sludge and doom which is both appealing and layered. The unique vocal experience and fixating guitar entourage make for excellent fodder for this kind of music, and Dwellers In Twilight is the perfect piece to take advantage of all of the elements which Aldebaran had collected.

Horrendous EcdysisIn Flames Siren Charms
Panopticon Roads to the NorthEmpyrium The Turn of the Tides
Wolves in the Throne Room CelestiteAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere

December 22nd 2009

Reviewing doom is a bit difficult I think. "Sightless And Silent Into Blackened Gulphs" is one of my favorite doom tracks ever.

Digging: Swallowed - Lunarterial

fromtheinside
December 22nd 2009

incorporates a lot of sludge into the sound, with higher-pitched screams which hint at a slight hardcore influence.

i'm going to like this =]
great review have a pos!

Digging: Psicosis - The Crippled Machine That Moves the World

TheSpirit
December 22nd 2009

Great review, i've never been much of a funeral doom fan, but this seems to have a lot of atmosphere which i enjoy so i'll definitely check it out

December 22nd 2009

It's not entirely funeral doom, so that should make it a bit easier to swallow. Thanks guys.

rasputin
December 22nd 2009

Good review dude. Album destroys.

Reviewing doom is a bit difficult I think.

It's actually quite simple =P

December 22nd 2009

Hahaha nice pun. But I find it pretty hard to find things to talk about when the music itself really isn't terribly eventful. Either way, when this album gets going (especially the last five minutes of the last two tracks) I think this album is just pure brilliance.

Relinquished
December 22nd 2009

Just checked it out today. Yeah this pretty much fucking rules.

Tulannical

2051 Comments

I dl'ed this a while ago but never listened. i will now though. good review.

December 23rd 2009

haha sorry if i stole a review idea or something... trolls seem to have gotten to this review though

nychicano
December 24th 2009

Sightless And Silent is like the greatest shit ever yo.

Relinquished
March 29th 2010

Sightless and Silent Into Blackened Gulphs rules because the opening riff is so crushing, it lasts for 5 minutes, and that never gets tiring.

December 28th 2011

looks kvlt and frightening

rules hard

SCREAM!
January 14th 2012

Crysis, why did you pick the chemistry cat (or whatever it's official name is) for that line?