C-Mal
Earned My Stripes

good

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
December 21st, 2009 | 9 replies | 3,001 views

Review Summary: While not saying much, C-Mal is the best rapper out of Florida.

Florida, a state known for its beautiful beaches, hurricanes, and shark attacks, is probably one of the only states, along with North Dakota, Maine, and Connecticut, to name a few, that has failed to produce as single rapper with any talent. From the city that has the WORST rappers throughout history, Miami (see, Vanilla Ice, Trick Daddy, Trina, Rick Ross, Plies) to the irrelevant, wannabe pools of Tampa and Orlando. About the only thing in Florida that would tear up a mic is a hurricane if it hit a recording studio. That is, until underground Floridan rapper/producerC-Mal stepped up. A wild child outta the Sunshine State presents to us, Earned My Stripes. Up until now, it seemed as if Frosted Flakes were illegal in Florida.

C-Mal is not necessarily a gangsta, but just extremely violent. His lyrics never fail when it comes to advocating violence and robbery, but don’t necessarily falter in the lyrical quality department either, “I’ll crack ya head, like an egg on a table,” “Play these hoes like the court, I pick and roll/Then I give and go,” “I hit ya with a punchline that’ll break your nose.” But he does fail on occasion, “I’m sick of this sideways talkin’/I turn my gun sideways now it’s sideways talkin’/I’m all blind chalkin’/Niggas like to rap/So you know I keep the strap/Got the strap up in my lap.” C-Mal’s love for drugs, robbery, and violence culminate (particularly violence) when C-Mal says, in a nutshell, that he would kill his own family and eat their brains. And while he would in all likelihood not do this, his energy gives way to lines like these. His voice and flow suffice, but it’s his energy and hard delivery that highlight his actual rapping. Because of this, C-Mal can pull off rapping over beats that belong to styles that are overused. Crunk beats with wailing siren synths like It’s Beef and It’s Getting’ Ugly and club beats like Earned My Stripes and Niggaz Is Hoes conform perfectly to C-Mal’s style. He even pulls off a good one on the rock hop beat of Heavy Metal. The production, while typical, works.

Despite the easy listen-ability of this thugging crunk album, it’s like lettuce, it’s mostly water. C-Mal gets more crunk than Lil Jon and the Ying Yang Twins combined, but adds some gangsta to it. That’s basically it.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
good

December 22nd 2009

Pry more a 2.8 or a 2.9 but I rounded up.

combustion07
December 22nd 2009

Nice to see consistant hip=hop reviewers. I probably won't check this out because I'm not big on the whole "Crunk" thing

December 22nd 2009

Yea, crunk is the guilty indulgence of mine. I don't consider it radio, so sometimes I listen to it. But it's just like sugar water. Sure, it tastes kinda good - but it has no substance. If this was like Lil Jon, it would be a 2 or 1.5, but because C-Mal put a gangsta spin on it. It could be a high 2.5, low 3.0.

combustion07
December 22nd 2009

The gangsta spin kind of makes me interested, maybe on a rainy day I'll give it a chance. Pos'd

December 22nd 2009

Yea, it's pretty cool. But it's nothing that's an absolute essential to listen to.

erasedcitizen
December 22nd 2009

Florida...is probably one of the only states, along with North Dakota, Maine, and Connecticut, to name a few, that has failed to produce as single rapper with any talent.

Do you listen to Celph Titled?

December 22nd 2009

Nope, but I'm gonna guess Celph Titled comes from one of the above states.

erasedcitizen
December 23rd 2009

Born and raised in Tampa. He's great, check him out. I admit he gets boring in large doses but he does have talent, that's undeniable.

bears
December 27th 2009

feel like this "love of violence" eating the family brains would ruin it for me.

I live in Beijing. Where do you find out your new hip hop?