Binary Star
Masters of the Universe

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
December 20th, 2009 | 101 replies | 9,052 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Even if the rest of the world does not share that, divine perspective, we cannot help being fascinated by these…messengers from outer space.

A binary star is a system of two stars that revolve around their common center of mass. One Be Lo (formerly known as OneManArmy) and Senim Silla (all is mine, backwards) are the two stars that formed Binary Star. The two rappers from Pontiac, Michigan met in 1993. The two were inseparable, and eventually robbed a local pizza parlor together in May 1994. They were caught, and were each sentenced to three to twenty years in prison. Senim Silla was sent upstate, and One Be Lo was sent to a prison in the lower part of Michigan. But in 1998, One Be Lo was transferred to Hiawatha Correctional Facility, the same prison as Senim Silla, and there, they cleaned up their act, and the rest was history.

The two rappers don’t really differ from one another that much in terms of styles, each possessing clear delivery, solid (but at times complex) flows, and middle-of-the-tone-spectrum voices, Senim’s being slightly higher, which is the distinguishable feature. But that’s just fine because their lyrics more than compensate for little to no variation in style. Because they possess the knowledge of underprivileged youths that made mistakes, Silla and Lo are able to deliver this album with a feel that many other rappers aren’t able to provide, “grab a telescope and you’ll see my view is like astronomy.” Their street life experiences enforce their conscious and wise lyrics, “I got confined at 17, young and naïve/Dashed in to a world with killers robbers and thieves/Cramped in an eight man cell with ten cats/Eight on the bunks and three on just mats.” As well as their hilarious lyrics, both popping up everywhere throughout the album, “See I’m strategic/I let your money talk bull***, walk while I keep it rollin’ like paraplegics/Who ever on the microphone/Let it be known/You in danger/I got next like the Boston strangler/You ain’t never heard an MC speak like this/And Rodney King ain’t never felt a beat like this.” And, just as they claim, Senim Silla and One Be Lo are truly on a different level than the ‘fake MCs’ denounce, “And I won’t hesitate to embarrass ya/Cuz on the mic you do little, like Eddie Murphy’s character,” “Rhyme after rhyme, it’s the same topic/What make you think you hardcore cuz you grew up in the projects?” Every track is a gem full of lyrical prowess exhibited by Lo and Silla.

And from being an alternative, underground rap group, it’s surprising that they have good production to pair with their awesome lyrics. While being more on the lo fi end of the scale, the frequent piano sampling (Reality Check, Indy 500, Glen Close) is down pat and the old movie sampling for intros is ace. They do a great job of syncing up their rapping with the mood of the production. The story telling songs Glen Close and Wolf Man Jack have beats perfectly suited to the rapping of Lo and Silla, each getting darker as the lyrics do, on the other end of the theme scale the happy-go-lucky trumpet beat of Conquistadors is perfectly suited for the happy-go-lucky rapping of Binary Star. Most underground lyricists suffer from an ear for beats full of wax, but Binary Star's production selection is B+, albeit not the best ever.

The lyrical prowess and wisdom displayed by Binary Star takes you on a journey throughout Masters of the Universe. Masters of the Universe is an underground cult classic that should definitely be checked out by any hip-hop fan. Even if the rest of the world does not share that, divine perspective, we cannot help being fascinated by these…messengers from outer space.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
4.2
Kris Williams (4.5)
Regardless of your taste in music, this album is great....

Binary Star
recommended by reviewer
Binary Star Waterworld

bastard
December 20th 2009

good review, should check this out if you promote this.

Foxhound
December 20th 2009

Good review and I love it when reviews give me interesting facts. pos'd

hipnotoad
December 20th 2009

"I got next like the Boston strangler"

Shouldn't it be necks? Anywho good review, I really love this album.

December 20th 2009

^ Yes, that's what it means. There's also another line, "I bus like Montgomery" but it means BUST. So yea, one word is said, and it means something else, but fits the line. Naw mean?! Lol.

hipnotoad

Hah yeah, got ya.

FistfulOfSteel
December 21st 2009

just got this, will be giving it a spin very soon.

Thompsonhunt
December 21st 2009

very nice review, much better than mine. pos

Phantom
December 21st 2009

Great review, I'll make a note to check this out .

Thanks for the pos's.

December 21st 2009

My friend Philip introduced me to this, had never heard of it before he had introduced it to me.

TMobotron
July 7th 2010

Was floored by this on first listen, pos'ed as well.

I loved the Eddie Murphy line. I'm just so interested in all the lyrics in this I just want to listen to the album again as soon as I'm done. One of the best hip-hop album's I've ever heard, easy.

iisblackstar
July 8th 2010

^This. Except prob took me a few listens to get into it. So hard to pick up on whose rapping their voices are so similar. The lyrics are awesome, love honest expression, could listen to that song all day everyday

TMobotron
July 9th 2010

I love how clear the lyrics are, it makes this really easy to enjoy.

July 9th 2010

havent listened to this in a while. probably should. such an amazing album.

September 12th 2010

Ugh such a great album

Urinetrouble
September 12th 2010

great album

SpeakNoNPhiXioN
November 20th 2012

Good Review, but you didn't mention Decompoze, the producer of most of the tracks....

GaryJohnson2012
November 22nd 2012

good review but the first sentence... a binary star appears to be one star but using other methods
they determine its two...slang blade intro has the explanation of "binary star"

Funeralopolis
July 13th 2013

rocks

Digging: Sugary Sweet Machines - Controlled Breathing

Greyvy
July 13th 2013

i aint hardcore i dont pack a 9 millimeter most of yall gangsta rappers aint hardcore either

Digging: Fat Pat - Ghetto Dreams