Eminem
Relapse: Refill

1.5
very poor

by Joe Schmoh USER (73 Reviews)
December 19th, 2009 | 52 replies | 22,844 views

Review Summary: Imagine Relapse. Now take away 1.5 from your score on that album and that's Refill. It's still not as bad as Encore.

Valium is one fucked up drug man… If weed inspired The Chronic, then valium inspires the inconsistent drugginess of Relapse. If that’s so, then is Refill Em’s 2001, a slightly worse, more inconsistent album that sort of states the same issues brought up in the original? Unfortunately for fans of the serious tracks of Relapse, that’s an undoubted yes, but there’s still some good stuff that resides on this zone.

There’s the overzealously overrated “Forever”, containing an off-kilter verse from Eminem who, although sounds awkward at first in being paired with Drake and Kanye West, puts out with his most masterful attempt at the fast flow in years, while Kanye West continues on his lyrical revival, and drops some funny as hell lines (“Old Money Benjamin Button, what, nuttin/ Now superbad chicks givin me Mclovin”). Then there’s the OTHER good song on the album; “Drop The Bomb on Em”, featuring one of the bounciest beats Dre ever gave Em, with Em considerably just ripping up the beat with some of his funnier lyrics in years (“f-cking fictitional characters and fairytales/prepare yourself for Captain America on Ferris Wheels/but it aint fiction its fact boy beware its real/them lyrics you wield equals zero to a hero’s shield”) along with some slightly misplaced arrogance and regular rap repping.

And then there’s the disastrous middle. Eminem clearly thought that the horror movie lyricism of his last album was the direction rather than the “Beautiful” and “Underground” material. His flow’s are good, the beats switch from lackluster like the generic Arabic dance track “Taking My Ball” to the twinkly, horror dreamy “Music Box”, but other than its terrible. Substantially it’s the same old ***, and it’s starting to get annoying to hear Eminem to rap about the same things for almost fifteen years now. Basically, Refill is some stuff that we thank that didn’t make it to Relapse, and we’re all hoping now that Relapse 2 never gets released. It’s that bad.

Rick Ross Teflon DonKrallice Dimensional Bleedthrough
Method Man and Redman Blackout!Pharrell In My Mind
Freddie Gibbs The Miseducation Of Freddie GibbsE-40 Revenue Retrievin': Night Shift
2.6
BBoysInTheCut (3)
More accents, more serial killer imagery, more killer Dre beats. If you hated Relapse, you'll hate t...

for now... FUCK EMINEM.

Bulldog
December 19th 2009

His 6 year old with a temper tantrum voice makes me stay the FUCK away from his discography.

December 19th 2009

check out his first two albums, just whatever you do, Stay away from this or Enocre. PLEASE

AtavanHalen
December 19th 2009

Man, I have no idea what the fuck to think anymore. I can't keep defending him.

December 19th 2009

just calm down and be like LOL EM USED TO BE GOOD. and then get into more rap...

theacademy
December 19th 2009

interesting fact of the day: Dr. West (on relapse) is actually Dominic West (from 300)

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

Piglet

lolbeans

cirq
December 19th 2009

em needs to get back on drugs

Sober Em is a faggot.

December 19th 2009

Eminem I hate you I'm sorry I ever bought that T- shirt, I'm sorry I ever listened to any of your albums, I'm sorry I used to dis ICP for you. I hate you it's over and I'm never taking you back ) :

December 19th 2009

well then he's gonna take his ball and go home.

pos'd

Asiatic667

Haley must be like 50 now

December 19th 2009

That must suck to know your dad used to be so cool and now he is such a lame.

Asiatic667

I'd rather be Ems kid than Vanilla Ices kid

true. dat.

December 19th 2009

hmm. I just though Vanilla was cheesy. Em downright blows now.

December 19th 2009

nah Vanilla was fucking horrid.

December 19th 2009

I never paid to much attention to him. Did he use a crappy accent?

December 19th 2009

he has nu metal material in the middle of his career i got a wiff of cuz of a dumbass friend and my life will never be the same.