Joell Ortiz
Road Kill

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
December 16th, 2009 | 7 replies | 4,446 views

Review Summary: ...meh...

Joell Ortiz is most famed for being in rap “supergroup” Slaughterhouse. I now understand why. He’s not particularly good at anything – so average, so frustrating, such a waste of time. I take that back, he CAN be good, but most of the time he’s so bland that it makes me hate him. The fact that he doesn’t capitalize on his potential makes him terrible.

The beats, decent (see, average East coast instrumental); his flow, acceptable; his voice, alright; lyrics, streaky. Everything is on the fence, it’s there, it could go either way. But, incredibly, throughout the mixtape, Joell Ortiz manages an impeccable balancing act, only falling on the good side three times. Snake Charmer is representative of his lyrical capabilities – “Now come ride it like a brand new Rover/Come sit on this dick, like a brand new sofa/Nah don’t push my stomach, let me get a little closer/Get up on them walls like a Biggie Smalls poster/They do what they can, I do what I’m s’posed ta/I can make you scream like your first roller coaster/Yea I’m a freak, I’ll eat it like a vulture.” – and the cool beats he could have (the Indian snake charmer feel is awesome) as Make It Without You is indicative of how good his voice can sound and Stalker shows how well he can tell a story and how tight his flow really can be.

Joell Ortiz has lots of potential, he just doesn’t exercise it. Three good songs out of eighteen, and everything else falls into the recycling bin.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
2.9
good

December 16th 2009

Kinda tried the kingsoby1 "format." Concised, powerful, well written. Tell me how it worked out.

hydeyomoney
December 16th 2009

Joell Ortiz is like Big Pun without any sort of flavoring that Pun's flow brings. So weak sauce.

December 16th 2009

I don't see the hype about Slaughterhouse. Royce is a definite best, Crooked I is an easy second best, and Joe Budden and Joell Ortiz (not coincidentally the only two east coast rappers in the group) are AVERAGE. Supergroup my ass.

erasedcitizen
December 17th 2009

Your review is sorely lacking in detail.

December 17th 2009

It's hard to describe mediocrity.

kingsoby1
December 17th 2009

It works, just try expanding a *tiny* bit more on the beats. It's hard to stick to the short format when you quote lyrics, too.

Yeah, Ortiz is pretty bland. Slaughterhouse is too.

December 17th 2009

Aight thanks. But the reason I reviewed this is because I thought Sputnik would be all over this. For some reason I thought sputnikers liked Slaughterhouse...hmmm...