Knapsack
This Conversation Is Ending Starting Right Now

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
December 14th, 2009 | 25 replies | 9,531 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's important to like what you love.

It’s easy to reminisce upon days you never lived. To look back upon the memories you never experience, and even tell stories of the life you never lived. I know I’m guilty of it, aren’t we all? And while I’m far from a habitual liar, I like to think I was a child of 90’s emo music. I’m not, at all. I feel a much stronger affinity towards those emotional 90’s masterpieces In the Aeroplane Over The Sea and Either/Or than I do towards Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Superunknown, or the grunge movement. Needless to say, as much as I wish it weren’t the case, I was a giddy child meeting the Backstreet Boys (Yes, I met them; and this is a judgement-free-zone, right?) while Knapsack was busy releasing a seminole record in third-wave emo music. A testament to the powers of emotional lyrics and parallel guitars driving a record forward rather than louder, more abrasive instrumentation, This Conversation Is Ending Starting Now is a too beautiful record to be overlooked as often as it is.

Highly melodic, This Conversation Is Ending Starting Now is Knapsack’s third and final record. The pinnacle of their short-lived career, the record is highly melodic, as the hypnotizing guitar riffs are the main draw of the record. Each song is sounds fresh as can be, even after we’re opening it up from the vault over a decade later. “Katherine The Grateful” is a romping, fast-paced example of this quality on full display. The percussion often follows suit (“Arrows To The Action,” doubles as a catchy single and a furious display of subtle percussion), as it manages to go from the forefront of the performance to a softer backbone to lean on in the blink of an eye. Everything from the bass to the guitar to the drum is very tight and well-produced, as is expected from a producer such as Drive Like Jehu drummer Mark Trompino, the indie-rock is fitting and cohesive. The aspect that surely set Knapsack apart, though, is Blair Shehan’s vocals. You may have heard his later work as vocalist on The Jealous Sound, but nowhere else do his whispery screams feel so at home as they do one This Conversation Is Ending Starting Now. Emotional and heartfelt, his voice is what sets apart Knapsack from both contemporaries or predecessors. It’s certainly not the most talented voice in the world, but the raw yet crystal clear style is what my personal affinity for Knapsack revolves around. His whispers that abruptly erupt into all-out screams are an enticing burst of energy that prompt the listener to join in, and the lack of pretension or cliche in the lyrics (I mean seriously: read that damn title, not too clever, but clever enough) make you believe in what you’re singing, too.

Yes, it’s been done before in more exciting and groundbreaking fashion. To be honest Knapsack doesn’t offer a whole lot new to the palate of the emo aficionado, but it does something more than that: it makes you like it. This Conversation Is Ending Starting Now is a record that’s an incredibly catchy, likable version of an experience most people shove aside as daunting, and Knapsack at its best is an experience to cherish within itself.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP

Skimaskcheck
December 14th 2009

This was cool, but didn't blow me away like i hoped it would, maybe i'll like it more with another listen. Niceee review!

EVedder27
December 14th 2009

Just thought I'd show some support for my fellow MAAC counterpart. Great job as always man.

kitsch
December 14th 2009

did u just say that neutral milk hotel and elliott smith was emo

kitsch

or that grunge was emo

19939 Comments

neither. at all. I hate you kitsch.

Digging: Natural Snow Buildings - The Night Country

19939 Comments

Thanks for the support though EVedder!

SlightlyEpic
December 14th 2009

you don't need me to say anything man all your reviews are great. knapsack were cool.

handoman

ya good album

April 18th 2010

better than Mineral and Texas Is the Reason ya I said it

Enotron
May 6th 2010

I'm enjoying this a lot more than I was on the first listen. The choruses are boner-worthy.

Iamthe Nightstars
June 21st 2010

"better than Mineral"

Hell no

Heysatan
November 14th 2010

listening now, shit rulez.

Enotron

yessshhhh this album

ConsiderPhlebas

better than Mineral and Texas Is the Reason ya I said it

Incorrect!

dreamobile
March 7th 2011

finding this album has made me remember how much i used to love pop punk. really catchy and well made

ShadowRemains
August 13th 2011

20479 Comments

this is really good

Iamthe Nightstars
January 12th 2012

It's pretty good. My problem with it is that they pretty much use the most basic chord progressions ever.

Funeralopolis
May 3rd 2012

really good

Digging: Banks - London

eyehategod
May 3rd 2012

funeral is a really good friend

ExcentrifugalForz
March 8th 2014

album should be called how to create incredible songs with only basic musical ability

Digging: Renaissance - Grandine il Vento