Anthony Green
Avalon

by Eli EMERITUS
December 10th, 2009 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Circa Survive this is not, but a fully independent release from scene idol Anthony Green.

Anthony Green has a distinctive voice. It seems to have a very polarizing affect. Some love, others can't stand it. Whichever category you fall into, there's no denying the guy is accomplished to say the least. First lending his talents to the tumultuous Saosin, then heading into Circa Survive, his most well known act to date. He also has been doing vocals for the progressive/indie rock band, The Sound of Animals Fighting. All this at the age of 27.

Avalon is Green's first attempt at a solo album, and a very strong attempt it is. Green utilizes the acoustic guitar....pretty much exclusively. There's some bass, and a tad bit of electric guitar, but it's nearly all acoustic. This gives the album a lot of character and allows Green to put his vocals front and center. Avalon showcases the best vocals of Green's career. In Circa Survive and TSOAF, his harsher sound would at times come off as grating and a little irritating, however, Green traded this for a more soothing and crooning sound. It's a good thing this aspect is so well done, because instrumentation takes a back seat. Not to say they're bad, just a little underwhelming.

There really isn't a "bad" song on the album. Some are better than others, and a couple border on boring, but each is good in it's own way. "Devil's Song" is the album's showcase. It has a mood all it's own, is much more varied than the rest, and is a little on the dark side. Counter balancing that is the upbeat poppy "Babygirl." "Drug dealer" and "Dear Child" are also standout tracks. "Califone" and "Plays Ugly for Daddy" are the before mentioned songs that bordered on tedium. As beautiful as they are, there just is not enough variation to give cause for multiple listens.

Anthony Green has crafted an above average solo album. Instead of branching off his success with Circa Survive, he took a completely different route, making this a very fresh and original release. Calming and soothing in some places, and beautiful nearly everywhere. Sadly what makes Avalon so interesting may not appeal to many. Yes there is some variation, but rarely does it break too far away from it's chord/singing formula.

Antemasque AntemasqueGrouper Ruins
tombits (2)
Avalon isn’t a reflection upon Green as an artist, but merely a misstep in his already stellar car...

December 11th 2009

A quick write up, in the end, I rec. if you aren't trying to get through a huge backload of albums....eventhough we all are

Foxhound
December 11th 2009

I agree some of the track do kinda get boring and I liked your review.

tombits
December 11th 2009

I dunno, this album as a whole feels incomplete and poorly pieced together, like it's more of a compilation than an album. There's a lot of filler in here, the inclusion of the High and Driving demos was a stupid idea that detracts from the polished, produced feel of the overall record. He's definitely capable of much more than what he shows here.

Foxhound
December 11th 2009

I don't think I've actually listened to the original version of this. I think I downloaded some type of remixed album.

December 11th 2009

It would have been much better had he removed the extra demo versions and shit, either make a separate demo or leave it out. Why would I want to listen to worse versions of songs I just heard?

cirq
December 11th 2009

Damn, didn't know this had not been reviewed already.. Good job

December 11th 2009

hey so is this in any way comparible to Stephen Christian's (from Anberlin) solo album? their voices are kinda similar so i'm just curious, cuz i really like Stephen's solo stuff.

December 11th 2009

circa survive are great but this sucks barring 'dear child'

and no not really and they don't even really sound alike

December 11th 2009

well in that they both have high ranges i mean. their tonality isn't that similar.

EDIT: just listened to a couple tracks, pretty tame. not interested.

po0ty
December 11th 2009

i liked the remixed version alot better- the one by colin frangicetto. just not sure the acoustic compliments green's voice or not.

yeah it really doesn't.

December 12th 2009

You're right, it doesn't

DeafMetal
December 5th 2010

love this record it's nostalgic as shit

Dev518
April 22nd 2011

Dear Child is really good, but the rest of this, while not bad, just makes me want to listen to Circa Survive.

balcaen
April 22nd 2011

can't wait for Beautiful Things to come out. i didn't really listen to much else when this came out. it lost it's lustre but damn... still one of the best acoustic albums i've ever heard.

Winsomniac
April 22nd 2011

I prefer dallas to anthony in terms of solo work.

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Alium

TenSecondsToThink
December 11th 2012

This album's far from perfect, but I would miss it if I could never listen to it again.

TenSecondsToThink