Bear in Heaven
Beast Rest Forth Mouth

by Vegeta of Nazareth USER (21 Reviews)
December 10th, 2009 | 23 replies | 7,774 views

Review Summary: An on-running set of ideas conveyed with the sleekness of silk, but avoiding the infirmity.

Beast Rest Fort Mouth may very well be the auditory equivalent to having an intimate and personal experience in an immense, capacious field. Jon Philpot capitalizes his airy but passionate voice to heat a small radius inside the expanding landscape. He’s accompanied by Bear in Heaven’s ability to create an engaging electronic melody to lend him not only the buoyancy needed to succeed in this circular, meandering mission, but aid from shoegaze's stimulation to supply a savory aftertaste. The Brooklyn-birthed experiment’s second shot a full-length album is one filled with psychedelic flirting, fluttering yet suggestively frantic basslines, and palpitating drum beats that make common work of the scripted elements in electronic music whether it be the splashy but soft cymbals or merely emphasizing the single strike on the downbeat. Although it will be the sensuous vibrating of the synths or the luscious guidance of the guitars to your king-sized bed of flowers, the rhythm section’s will to divert from simply mapping out the 4/4 measure allows the movements to the chorus (or should I say choruses) to feel that more intact.

As entrusting and sincere Philpot’s voice seems, it also has that spike of pain that works well as an advocate for the listener’s troubles. Like a lawyer for tortured souls, his atmospheric yet substantial voice thickens the drama that works extremely well in tracks like “Lovesick Teenagers”. The song has enough glossy yearning to become a factor in considering the modern heartbreak anthems in today’s experimental rock music. Instead of submerging you in an agitated impression or leading you to step in the dark unwillingly, Bear in Heaven practice a generous amount of impact and let you fill in the gaps yourself, such as in the nearly suspicious lead single, “Wholehearted Mess”. Rather than being an album of one tremendous thought echoed through crescendos and reprises (though both I believe are present), we have an album full of thoughts that are expanded almost endlessly in these under 6-minute tracks. Whether it be “Beast in Peace”, the opener that lends you binoculars into the unfolding territory you’re about to set foot on, or the willowy shapeshifter, “You Do You”.

Beast Rest undoubtedly is a spin on some classic rock and psychedelic acts from the past with the approach more fitting to My Bloody Valentine. There are points throughout where you can see Philpot borrow the desperate canyon wails from Chino in the downtempo respect of Team Sleep or the exercised pitch of Jane’s Addiction’s more ballad-esque hits such as “Mountain Song” or “Jane Says”. There’s even a throwback to a good ol’ waltz near the end of “Dust Cloud”. Ultimately, be prepared to listen to Beast Rest For Mouth more than once, maybe even consecutively, to gather its full personal attributes and simultaneously witness an on-running set of ideas conveyed with the sleekness of silk, and minus the infirmity.

Shiner The EggBilly Boy On Poison Drama Junkie Queen
Sole and the Skyrider Band PlastiqueHalford Halford III - Winter Songs
Jack Penate Everything Is NewTapes N Tapes The Loon

EVedder27
December 10th 2009

Great review, I was thinking about reviewing this but I haven't given it enough listens.

Electric City
December 10th 2009

do you mean Volcano Choir- Unmap?

And this is pitchfork hype, really. good but not stunning

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins [AMDISCS]

Haha, thanks, I was in the -less mood

My friend rec'd this to me, I thought it was pretty cool sounding and never heard of them. Originally was going to be a 4 but I can see it speaking to me more

Kiran
December 10th 2009

i didnt find this that great unfortunately

Roach
December 10th 2009

[img]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/36026419/Bear+In+Heaven+bear_in_heaven+copy.jpg[/img]

just look at those guys

Shit, I'm wrong

Kiran
December 10th 2009

lovesick teenagers is a good song though

I think I like "You Do You" the most

We'll see

kkluver
January 25th 2010

Great album with a lot of stuff going on for it (usually at one time). The only problem is it lulls in the middle and picks up again at the end. Not a superb album but definitely worth some of the buzz it has received.

Roach
January 25th 2010

yet you rate it superb how ironic

sexualsoybean
February 14th 2010

These guys are playing at a bar down the street early next month with cymbals eat guitars so i need to listen to this

shazwagon
April 1st 2010

I find it fresh and inventive. Really, really good.

sexualsoybean
April 3rd 2010

really good stuff

killrobotmusic
September 9th 2010

Just found out about these guys. You Do You and Lovesick Teenagers are really good, everything else seems pretty average though. Some pretty epic mustaches going on in this band though.

crank
October 8th 2010

yeah so this is OK

crank
October 9th 2010

what is it that you enjoy so much about this? I find it pretty one dimensional as an album and despite some good sections here and there it doesn't really capture my attention

and its good

January 27th 2011

ya i saw some gay guy post a vid on fb and i was like mmm this is good.

so i dl'd and i was like whoa awesome. im stupid

January 27th 2011

hey fuck you don't insult my friends he's so cool and he has no pics of himself he is fucking deeeeep

March 3rd 2011