Marduk
Wormwood

by Karl V.H. USER (85 Reviews)
December 8th, 2009 | 59 replies | 10,723 views

Review Summary: Not as hallucinogenic as you might think.

Wormwood is a key ingredient to absinthe, a highly potent alcoholic beverage that was created in the late 19th century and was banned in the United States as well as many parts of Europe for it’s psychedelic properties. Why Marduk, for their 11th studio album, would name their newest composition after a hallucinogen beats the hell out of me. Wormwood is in fact a natural extension from the blasting Rom 5:12 but the name itself serves no purpose in doing this black metal any descriptive justice.

Marduk, named after the Babylonian God and founded in Norrköping, Sweden by the only remaining Morgan "Evil" Steinmeyer Håkansson, has been trekking along for quite some time now (almost 20 years), producing a steady selection of brutally annihilating black metal. It’s not until their last few albums that Marduk began to incorporate a more focused songwriting approach and laid off the monotonous, psychotic blast beats, giving their brand of black metal more room to breathe. This became particularly evident with Rom 5:12, showing signs of slowing down and adding some more textural depth through keyboards and progressive passages. On Wormwood all of these new features have been tightened with an ear to clear production, audible bass lines, and some standout moments that keep things interesting. These standout moments are few and far between, but you will know them when they ring out from your speakers. One of these fine examples comes in the form of the wickedly hypnotic “Funeral Dawn” that slows things down and creates a head banging rhythm that is accompanied by some eerily beautiful keys and choir. “Into utter Madness” may start off in generic fashion, but ends on a strong note that brings to mind those frigid melodies captured on black metal classics. And let’s not forget those progressive passages that made Rom 5:12 such an enjoyable record; done to perfection on “To Redirect Perdition”.

While Wormwood contains some of Marduk’s best work to date, there is still plenty of filler and those recycled rapid fire tremolo guitar lines that feel the same throughout each track. Even the songwriting, as focused as it might be, could still use some more punch rather than just blasting the *** out of everything when ideas run dry. One of the biggest problems on this record is Mortuus’s pseudo-evil, shrilling screech and gurgling lows that sound like someone’s drowning an old man. This becomes obnoxious as the album wears-on, but it’s not until you reach the final few seconds of the record that Mortuus lets you know what he had for dinner through a single belch.

To be truthful, Wormwood would have come out a stronger record if some of the unnecessary fat had been trimmed and they found a new vocalist. This is actually a step down in terms of quality that the band has been pushing towards since Plague Angel, getting rid of monotonous black metal in favour of a more varied approach to tempo and song structure. These are all great qualities that black metal fans should embrace (unless you love the same thing day in and day out). Marduk just need readjust a touch and lay off the absinthe.

The Austerity Program Beyond CalculationGodflesh Pure
Sun Worship Elder GiantsLord Mantis Death Mask
Horseback Piedmont ApocryphaCarcass Surgical Steel
3.3

19329 Comments

This needed a review. Not great but still enjoyable if you like a somewhat palatable black metal band like Marduk.

Hawks will love this.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

Yessssssssss!

Digging: Sun Worship - Elder Giants

December 8th 2009

Nice review Wizard, pretty much summed up my thoughts. This is good, and I don't mind listening to it, but it is nothing special at all.

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

19329 Comments

Thats exactly it though Crysis, your rating speaks for itself. I noticed you changed your rating as well hahahaha. No worries, I had this at a 3.5 after one listen and then it just became stale. I would also like to point out something between my personal ratings and actual review rating. People inflate their personal opinions and I figure I inflate mine by at least 0.5 so my review rating will always be lower than my personal, just so I don't create any biases.

Do you love this Hawks? hahaha

Relinquished
December 8th 2009

A comma would work better than that semicolon in the first sentence.

Great review, Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz Wiz

19329 Comments

Not this obnoxious shit again. Thanks for the punctuation control Relinquished.

Roach
December 8th 2009

good review for a pretty shitty album

Relinquished
December 8th 2009

You're welcome for both. Not a fan of Marduk so I'll most likely forget this.

December 8th 2009

Exactly, after my first listen I was like "Oh cool this is pretty good actually". Now I find it tiring.

Do you love this Hawks? hahaha

Haven't heard it yet tbh lol. I probably would though because I really like pretty much all of Marduk's stuff.

19329 Comments

Rom 5:12 is where it's at.

December 8th 2009

Yeah that's my 2nd favorite by them. Dark Endless would be first.

Athom

I hate Marduk.

19329 Comments

Marduk just told me they're going to eat your first born Adam.

Athom

they would, too. shit.

19329 Comments

They would also shit on it too.

December 8th 2009

one big deuce on the chest

but yeah Opus Nocturne is their best.

19329 Comments

I still need to hear that one.

jingledeath

spot on review wizbird

December 8th 2009

My record store had their entire discography used at like $6 a CD, so I bought it all for the hell of it.