Thirty Seconds to Mars
This Is War

by DarcieRoy USER (1 Reviews)
December 8th, 2009 | 54 replies

Review Summary: This Is War has triumphed.

With the release of their third album, This is War, 30 Seconds to Mars has once and for all shirked their reputation as an “angst” band. It could instead be argued that, while the wounds of their battle with Virgin Records are evident in their latest release, they instead offer themselves as healthy role models for listeners, channeling their frustration and suffering into songs of hope, optimism, and strength.

“I fell apart but I got back up again,” Jared Leto croons in “Alibi”, first in a soothing tone evocative of a lullaby, later soaring to a cry that is both anguished and exultant. This sentiment of determination and healing echoes throughout the album.

It’s rare for me to like an album the first time I hear it. I’ve always found comfort in familiarity; usually new songs have to “grow” on me. But it was love at first listen for This is War. It’s the kind of music you can listen to with your eyes closed and see the sun rise; the kind of music you blast with the car’s windows rolled down; the kind you sing along to with the enthusiasm of a fevered tent-revival disciple. This album gives you chills from its first notes.

As if it were even possible to do so, following the release of their platinum-selling second album, A Beautiful Lie, the talented men of 30 Seconds to Mars have continued to improve their musical aptitude, producing a more polished and innovative album than the previous two. (Note that I do NOT mean more “mainstream” – despite their producer Flood’s experience with renowned bands such as U2, Depeche Mode, and The Smashing Pumpkins, they continue to admirably deviate from the flow of “pop” music.) One example of their musical pioneering would be the choral accompaniments to many of the songs: the uplifting chants heard in the background of such songs as the title track (also featured in the game Dragon Age: Origins), “Night of the Hunter”, and “Hurricane” are actually the voices of 30 Seconds to Mars’ fans, recorded earlier this year in a “digital summit” (just one of many ways the band incorporates its “army” into the music). These full-bodied compositions will undoubtedly play well in the acoustics of a large venue.

This Is War also contains more of the smoky, sexy, whispered vocals that particularly send Leto’s admirers swooning. Because of this, the album will likely perform well in an intimate, acoustic setting. Regardless of the site, This Is War seems destined for live performance greatness.

Overall, 30 Seconds to Mars has used their strife to demonstrate unparalleled poise and grace, and the result is an album with more depth and intensity than I’ve experienced in a long time.

Darcie Roy
Provehito In Altum

3.1
good

December 8th 2009

Woah, a 5... This was well written, but I would suggest expanding on your paragraphs more. pos.

zarkinfrood42
December 8th 2009

Not a bad review, especially not for a first, but a little too fanboyish for my tastes.

I am looking forward to this album, tho.

KieranVandRakim

i thought daveyboy wrote this for a second

Prophet178
December 8th 2009

(also featured in the game Dragon Age: Origins)

Just the trailer actually.

Waior

i thought daveyboy wrote this for a second

theacademy

THIS IS WAIOR

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

TheGreatD17
December 8th 2009

Some day you'll look back on this and shake your head.

Eclectic

a: that matters now?
b: the section italics makes no sense.

Still, good review. Pos'd

DiceMan
December 8th 2009

I sincerely disagree with your opinion. So called uplifting chants can get really really annoying to be honest with you and come off as pretentious more often than not.

Actually yeah what Shortone said. The reviews posted on here should not be like the reviews on itunes where everything always gets high ratings forever. You should bolster your rating more. Typically 5 reviews are longer because the writer has to justify the rating, with a few exceptions of course.

shortone323
December 8th 2009

Agree with pretty much everybody above me: this is a good review, but I'm not too sure this is a 5. I personally have this at a 2 or somewhere around there, but it's fine if you can justify it. And on that note, you might want to add a bit more here, because while you make the album sound great, you really don't make it sound like a classic.

Kronzo
December 8th 2009

Some day you'll look back on this and shake your head.

this.

pizzamachine

A 5? Seriously?

Prophet178
December 8th 2009

New users should have to fill out a form asking why they think the album is a 5 before being able to rate an album a 5.

KieranVandRakim
December 8th 2009

well he wrote a review, that's good enough

DiceMan
December 8th 2009

Yeah^. It seems that every new user comes in and writes a review of an album as a 5. Just so happens that said album isn't very good at all.

pizzamachine
December 8th 2009

Just so happens that nearly every new user's 5-rated album is no good.

NOTINTHEFACE

Made me lol

WhiteTieBlackJacket
December 8th 2009

Love this record. Good review.

Deviant.
December 8th 2009

So far the only thing this thread has proven is that personal opinions of all new comers need to be taken behind the shed and shot.
Album's not that high for me, but let him have his 5

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

Waior

THIS IS WAIOR

Oh I get it. granted, it took me way too much thought.

Yeah, and the review is fine, album is average - people will heckle you less if you flesh out your review a little more; justify that 5/5!