Red Harvest
A Greater Darkness

by Adam Gola USER (33 Reviews)
December 7th, 2009 | 15 replies | 5,202 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This album is like heroin. No, this album IS heroin.

Red Harvest are a band of Norwegians playing dark metal, which is dubbed industrial. But it's definitely no Static X-like industrial, neither is it Strapping Young Lad-like industrial. It's dark, and I mean as dark as industrial can get. This album was a novelty to me, as I had never heard this beautiful kind of music before. A Greater Darkness is neither about ingenious tempo-changes, nor elaborate technicality, it's purely about mood and atmosphere. Imagine working in a dark cyborg factory 10 hours a day, and when you finish and get out, being greeted by vast, desolate fields of rusted metal containers under the vermilion setting sun, with the air being chilly and moist. This is just one of the ways to try and put this album's atmosphere in words, but it'll probably fail miserably anyway.

Probably the biggest asset of this record is its variety and intertwining heaviness and atmosphere. Vocal-wise, there is a weird kind of neither-screaming-nor-growling employed, which sounds very dry, raw and excellent. The vocalist also shows off his soothing baritone here and there, to a great effect too. The tracks are aligned in an alternating way, so that the heavy/non-heavy variety is more pronounced. Every single song on A Greater Darkness is great, so most of your listens will probably encompass the album's entirety. "Antidote" is a heavy song built around a single simplistic yet genius riff, "Hole In Me" is a hypnotizing ballad and one of the album's strongest points, the next two songs are a heavy and dramatic assault-oriented ones, you also get three entirely electronical songs which make use of strings and even symphony, they fill in extremely well and bring about a "back to the womb"-like atmosphere. The music sounds very matter-of-fact in general, it's completely devoid of any cheer, but neither is it sad in the commonly accepted sense of the word. It simply puts you in lethargy and makes you contemplate nothingness - perhaps you could think of it as of a softer, more electronized and less technical "Shed" by Meshuggah.

Another strong point of this album are its lyrics. Not excessively poetical, yet still very, very far from banal. And they carry a powerful message which could be interpreted as a warning for humanity not to take things too far, or we'll just end up annihilated. Bits like "Darth Vader rules the Vatican" filled me with an instant burst of admiration for their lyricist, which was only perpetuated by the sublime poetry of "Hole in Me". You really need to read the lyrics for that one, they're just incredible.

I'm a melomaniac who appreciates most forms of music, but this album isn't for everybody. If you prefer groove and happiness, better give this album a pass. But on the other hand, the lack of these cannot be counted as a con of this work, as this was simply not the writers' purpose. This album takes you on a journey through realms of wonder, lethargy and uncertainty. Highly recommended for fans of science-fiction movie scores and anything that has an industrial vibe, as well as those that take music very emotionally and are subject to its mood-changing properties.

Pros of this album:
- Very, very atmospheric
- The vocals, especially the cleans, but the harshes lack nothing too
- Overall thematic integrity, but not without variance
- A fragment of Adolf Hitler's speech in the song "Warthemes" ;)

Cons of this album:
- Cannot think of any. The album can put you in a lax, meditational state, though, and that may make you doze off. Could be considered a con, duh.

9/10

Solution .45 For Aeons PastShade Empire Omega Arcane
The Schoenberg Automaton VelaSatariel Chifra
Caro Emerald Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room FloorSoilwork Stabbing the Drama

December 7th 2009

Solis review for a very underrated band.

lucazade22
December 7th 2009

I like dead cities and hole in me but find the rest boring... :O

December 7th 2009

i've heard of this band, i should check them out.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

Crysis
December 7th 2009

This sounds interesting. Never really been a fan of industrial, but I think I check this out and hopefully change that.

Digging: Katatonia - Kocytean

Zip
December 7th 2009

This song is called... RED HARVEST!

ugh Bloodsimple ftl

Metalstyles
December 7th 2009

this sounds very cool, good review and will get. Prolly won't have the time to listen to it right away, but yeah, sounds excellent.

Also, Red Harvest by Bloodsimple is fun, don't be hatin' zipper haha

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

Wizard
December 7th 2009

Band is mediocre at best. Bought this and was very disappointed.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

Wizard
December 24th 2009

Album slightly grew on me a touch. This needs another review as well.

Taoboxer9
July 1st 2010

I have to agree with the reviewer on this. I think that this is their best effort.

R6Rider
July 1st 2010

Sounds very interesting.

Can't wait to get home.

Digging: Arecibo - Lost In Consciousness

XfingTheSullen
October 21st 2010

Shit. The band has officially disbanded. I'm disappointed.

Voivod
January 22nd 2011

I think that this is their best effort.

This title goes to Sick Transit Gloria Mundi.

Album stream: http://seasonofmistcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/a-greater-darkness

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly

psite45

i like cold dark matter

Voivod
January 22nd 2011

Cold Dark Matter is excellent too, but a step below Sick Transit Gloria Mundi, imho.

oubli