Sole and the Skyrider Band
Plastique

by Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS
December 2nd, 2009 | 114 replies | 16,056 views

Review Summary: If only Raekwon delayed his newest another year, Plastique would be sitting on top of all of 2009's releases defecating

Plastique is a metaphysical journey as narrated by Sole and sonically juxtaposed via Skyrider's interpretations. Nearly a nihilistic anthem, the duo successfully encapsulates the darkness and travails of modern society into a less-than-double-digit track length LP, an unheard of undertaking for most of their contemporaries. Conceptually, Plastique pulls no punches in criticizing capitalistic greed, war, and almost nearly every other questionable societal miscue; but what truly is mesmerizing is Skyrider's ability to pull this all together in one cohesive composition. Their experimental compositions combining soul, rock, blues, metal, and electronics really do much to reign in Sole's stream-of-consciousness, near spoken word flow; instead of meandering off into meaningless drivel, his verses instill an apocalyptic dread within you, until the bitter post-metal-esque crescendos of "Black". Compared to their self-titled debut, a lot has changed with respect to structure - again the final product here is a testament to cohesion and flow control, outclassing 2007's outing in every way and working wonders to mitigate Sole's oft-unrhyming, "eclectic" rapping throughout that release. Not to say the debut was mediocre in anyway; quite the contrary as its newer sibling works to streamline the same formula and only shines just a bit brighter.

This is easily one of the year's finest hip-hop ventures - if only Raekwon delayed his newest another year, Plastique would be sitting on top of all of 2009's releases defecating. Seriously a modern marvel of songwriting, Sole and Skyrider have worked wonders incorporating almost all of hip-hop's past, present, and future timeline into one 50 minute package.

Nacho Picasso and Avatar Darko VampsterdamGorguts Colored Sands
Run the Jewels Run the JewelsThe-Dream IV Play
James Blake OvergrownTyler the Creator Wolf
Vegeta of Nazareth (4.5)
The commanding lyricist finds a dynamic arrangement to finally demand your attention....

klap

sweet soundoff

Digging: Literature - Chorus

robin

sounds good

sup sobhi

SeaAnemone

19916 Comments

is this only for contributors or something?

Digging: Natural Snow Buildings - The Night Country

joshuatree

should get this

nice tracklist

December 2nd 2009

what's up man, good review. I'm glad I listened to you and picked this up; between Plastique and No More Heroes I've hardly had time to listen to any of the other new music I've acquired recently (new Ghostface, Mos Def, Converge, etc..)

Sole's flow really reminds me of Sage Francis and a young Eyedea (but waaaay more interesting -- not a big fan of Sage personally). Can't get enough of this.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

kingsoby1
December 2nd 2009

was a bit short. beefed up a bit. whoever added this to the db didn't do the tracklist, so i'll do that real quick.

Relinquished
December 2nd 2009

I see a coding problem in the summary

kingsoby1
December 2nd 2009

ah fixed... can't code in summaries, i always forget.

hi guys, quick replies, jeez. yeah inveigh, kinda like sage a bit, but wayyyyyy better.

PuddlesPuddles
December 2nd 2009

Thanks sobhi for reminding me, was planning on getting this

December 2nd 2009

4 bucks not including shipping on amazon new. This will make christmas shopping so much easier.

December 2nd 2009

^dude, that's the same deal I got -- incredible steal.

I always prefer to buy cds from artists this small as new rather than used because I want the artist to get some of the money. Lucky for me, this was new for less than 7 bucks after shipping.

Kyle
December 2nd 2009

Still need to give this another listen, seems like something I'd enjoy but I wasn't sure first time around.

December 2nd 2009

man, this clicked with me the first time I popped it in; but I can see how it might be a grower too.

ninjuice
December 2nd 2009

Hopefully more people hear this now. His voice reminds me of someone I can't think of, and I haven't heard El-P or Sage Francis.

handoman

this sounds sick

Zoo

it is

qwe3
December 3rd 2009

yah this is so fucking good

Athom
December 3rd 2009

it's good but not splooge good

qwe3