Pianos Become the Teeth
Old Pride

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
November 30th, 2009 | 351 replies | 34,073 views

Review Summary: While this certainly isn’t the most unique record, who’s complaining? Pianos Become the Teeth have created a fantastic album in Old Pride with enough ear-splitting, heart-wrenching moments to keep you coming back for more.

The comparisons are inevitable. A post-rock influenced screamo band with floor-rattling screams... they must be channeling some City of Caterpillar or Envy in there, right? Well, yes and no. Pianos Become the Teeth, a local band (for me) out of Baltimore, Maryland, have created a defining record in Old Pride, but it’s hard to say whether or not they exert enough effort to truly separate and define themselves from their influences. The quintet have found a nice, cozy spot among the complex instrumentation, frenzied screams, and overall feverish nature on Old Pride. While it would be splendid to ramble on about all the things that make Old Pride spectacular, it’s very difficult due to the glaring faults (as small as they may be when compared to the bigger, brighter, not to mention more intense, picture). This is most definitely because Pianos Become the Teeth are capable of a better quality record, and while Old Pride is an undeniably excellent showing, it’s flaws become all the more obvious because of the great potential hiding here.

There’s certainly no lack of intensity, as the aggressive atmosphere is on full display in the short burst emanating so furiously from Kyle Durfey’s vocal chords. His voice becomes almost a little too overbearing at times, making it hard to appreciate the superb guitar work from the guys in the background. Elegant riffs plague Old Pride from front to back, and Pianos definitely would have benefitted from a bit more showy display of this. The build-ups are particularly poignant, and it’s during a few of these defining moments that it’s possible to hear Pianos Become the Teeth truly mesh and mingle like nowhere else on the album. Take the epic build-up in “Pensive”, for instance, with the frantic, “I'm ready to let my hair down, I'm ready to move to the woods until the floor boards get raspy, I'm ready, I'm ready.” Pianos must not have been self-aware enough to realize this obvious forte, for it seems like they sacrifice many of these stirring segments for run of the mill post-hardcore or screamo after the listener is fully aware that they are capable of so much more. This is particularly true between highlights “Filial” and “Pensive,” as a few of the shorter tracks don’t feel especially vital.

The lyrics are nothing to swoon over, despite a diamond in the rough, “Cripples Can’t Shiver,” a harrowing story of a disease-ridden family member. Blunt and intense, the song leaves a very lasting impression, arguably more so than anything else on Old Pride. Despite the lack of exceptional lyrics, Pianos Become the Teeth manage to convey an urgent and frantic sense of raw intensity and catharsis that’s oh-so-necessary in the genre. Alas, this is only to be undermined (marginally) by the glossy production. Everything is just a bit too manufactured and the passion of the music is sometimes lost due to this. Old Pride ends on a dull note, with the post-rock of “Young Fire.” A bit too lengthy, it fails to pinpoint an objective and instead strays aimlessly and diminishes the building tempo throughout the record.

And despite these sometimes glaring faults, Old Pride is definitely a contender in the screamo category of 2009. While Pianos fail to really detach themselves from their illustrious predecessors by means of talent or ingenuity, the emotion invested in Old Pride is enough to call this truly unique. And while it’s easy to say, “This could have been better,” it’s much harder to deem this unworthy. While this certainly isn’t the most unique record, who’s complaining? Pianos Become the Teeth have created a fantastic album with enough ear-splitting, heart-wrenching moments to keep you coming back for more. Keep your ears peeled for cathartic screams in the distance, because if Old Pride is any sign, Pianos Become the Teeth have great work ahead of them.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP

19913 Comments

couldn't decide between 3.5 / 4, went with 4 because I've been loving every screamo record I've been listening to lately.

Digging: Natural Snow Buildings - The Night Country

November 30th 2009

too lazy to review. album is good.

SlightlyEpic
November 30th 2009

haha wow you're a machine dude, also nice job reviewing emo/screamo stuff, I feel like a lot of it gets underlooked. Pos'd

19913 Comments

too lazy to *read* review?

19913 Comments

haha thanks I've basically been bingeing on the stuff lately, I've got a few more coming soon, just hope I don't overdose and get sick of it.

both. I want review Snacks, but I'm too lazy to do that too

19913 Comments

... haven't heard it... too much on my to-do list already though, I'll get around to it, probably not this year though.

get at it. faggot

19913 Comments

only if you read my review.

done. listen to it now.

Kyle
November 30th 2009

Glad somebody reviewed this, great album.

YouAreMySilence
November 30th 2009

Pensive and Cripples CAn't Shiver are fuckin amazing songs.

Ponton

Good review

19913 Comments

Thanks... and this is mandatory '09 listening, Observer.

Ponton
November 30th 2009

I will try Arnold, but I'm pretty behind when it comes to 2009.

Electric City

tracklist?

Digging: Alvvays - Alvvays

Electric City
November 30th 2009

the song on last fm is pretty good until the dialogue in the middle which is kind of lol

BigTuna
December 1st 2009

Summary is spot on perfect.

Digging: Common - Nobody's Smiling

BigTuna
December 1st 2009

Cripples Can't Shiver is def the best song.

19913 Comments

it's close bw that or Pensive..