MGMT
Metanoia

by Dylan S. USER (66 Reviews)
November 29th, 2009 | 22 replies | 12,729 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Simply put, Metanoia puts the EP in epic.

In the year of 2008 the electro-indie duo making up MGMT reached mainstream success with their first full length album Oracular Spectacular, which spawned singles like Time To Pretend and the ever so radio-friendly hit Kids. After the mesmerizing effects of the debut album began to drift from people thoughts as the cycle came to an end; but as one cycle ends, another begins as MGMT set out to prepare their sophomore album to be title Congratulations, set for a 2010 release date. MGMT knew the loyal fans could not wait though. Thus the release of the EP Metanoia, which in some ways is not so much of an EP considering it only features one track; but what a track it is.

The almost fourteen minute long epic opens with a slow acoustic strum of a guitar with soft chanting about metanoia, which is Greek for "changing one's mind,” which the band does often in this song. The wavy feel of this beginning captures the essence of MGMT’s style, which makes you feel like you should be standing alone on a distant Hawaiian beach, or high as a ***ing kite.

About a minute and a half in electric guitars, take place of the acoustic. This changes the feel of the song in that it starts constantly switching to happy and upbeat, to creepy and echoing. Then at three and a half minutes, it stops instantly into spoken words:

“We were talkin' junk right,
Just before the show
This wild-eyed kid came up to the fence
He took one look at us, and he said:

‘Help me,
Drummer,
Ticket,
Yeah!’”

The last four lines yelled with the thundering guitar ever performed by MGMT with a live feel other than recorded. Following is a high-pitched echoing voice squealing, “We didn't play his favorite song. Now he'll never come to another show,” in what feels like it should belong in The Nightmare Before Christmas movie. This gradually fades back into a tone similar to that of the beginning of the song, where wavy instrumentals take over with little to no vocal back up, until ten minutes in where vocals take the reins again. With a pleasant sentimental tone not shown much on Oracular Spectacular.

This epic ends with 80’s influence synths, slowly building to a close with no vocals creating an atmospheric experience that puts a big fat period at the end of this sentence; overall equaling out to a song that is beyond the stars that were being reached for with MGMT’s debut album.

Bjork TelegramCher Closer To The Truth
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros HereChromatics Night Drive
Lana Del Rey ParadiseMadonna Madonna

November 29th 2009

A whole review for one song bitch

robertsona
November 29th 2009

you give out fives really easily dontcha

Waior
November 29th 2009

A 14 minute MGMT song? I don't know if I could handle that.

just the good stuff

Ponton

Must be a good song.

good review

Digging: Mimicking Birds - Mimicking Birds

hydeyomoney
November 29th 2009

lol MGMT good joke sonny.

thanks Observer.

and everyone else, give it a listen. You might be surprised...then again you might not

November 29th 2009

didn't even know about this

this isn't even a review, you just give a play by play of some of the things that happen in the song

robertsona
November 29th 2009

kinda hard to review a one-song 'album' without it being a play-by-play of that one song (albeit not impossible) but agreed

November 29th 2009

Well in my eyes the play by play + my rating pretty much sums up what I'm saying about it. But I see
where your coming from

Ponton
November 29th 2009

I prefer the play-by-play for this type of thing, especially if it's only fourteen minutes long.

iranscam
November 29th 2009

mgmt is pretty much the worst band ever

November 29th 2009

well yeah if it's one song you do have to fall into a bit of a play by play but you don't even say why anything is good, you just say what happens

JacobsLadder
November 29th 2009

Its pretty good better than some most of Oracular Spectacular but no way is it a 5.

jonnymilba
November 29th 2009

i liked MGMT a few years ago, but they've gotten SO much press since then, i fight the elitist urge to dislike them because of overexposure. cool song though.

MaskAtTheMasquerade
November 29th 2009

glad to see this album reviewed!

Piglet
November 30th 2009

Simply put, Metanoia puts the EP in epic.

simply put, i am gettin' tired of that statement but otherwise okay review

klap

having said that...

Auldy
November 30th 2009

I'm no super MGMT fan, but this is pretty amazing

cirq
November 30th 2009

....14 minutes of mgmt? i dont think thats a good idea.