A Rocket to the Moon
On Your Side

1.0
awful

by ilysortareviews USER (3 Reviews)
November 27th, 2009 | 12 replies

Review Summary: Save your money, or buy one of A Rocket to the Moon’s EPs.

On Your Side is the debut album from A Rocket to the Moon. They had previously released several demos and EPs, with popular songs such as “Dakota”, “If Only They Knew”, and “Baby, We’re Invincible”.

When I listened to the album, one of my first thoughts was that it was more of a summer album and should have been released in June rather than October; it has the “cute” lyrics and light music. Unfortunately, that is not my heaviest criticism of the CD.

The CD starts off with “Annabelle” which has okay, but uninspired lyrics. Some of the notes sound harsh and the song is definitely lacking something. It then moves on to “Mr. Right” which I had similar opinions of. Next, is “She’s Killing Me”. By this point, I was starting to think the album was going to kill me. Then comes “On A Lonely Night”. Was this deja vu, or had I already listened to this song?

A Rocket to the Moon also includes their “new” version of “Dakota”. Something has definitely been changed, but not for the better. Next, “Life of the Party” began to play. I was relieved. Maybe, this would be the first decent song, despite the intro’s possible similarities to “Hot N Cold” by Katy Perry. Then, the lyric “I thought I would drink you forever” pops out. Ummm.... bad metaphor. Especially when the line about the straw is included. So much for decent.

As the CD progressed, I wanted to listen to it less and less. It switches between country and not quite techno like schizophrenia. A Rocket to the Moon is clearly trying to sound like other popular bands of a similar genre. There are many similarities in lyrics to “Give a Damn” and the Maine’s “Everything I Ask For”. For example, both songs tell of a girl who seems to be perfect for the singer.

My advice? Save your money, or buy one of A Rocket to the Moon’s EPs.

2.9