Charizma and Peanut Butter Wolf
Big Shots

by zach USER (27 Reviews)
November 26th, 2009 | 26 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The soundtrack to waking up in your best friend's arms and totally being cool with it cause it's not gay.

Growing up, and to this day, The Fox and the Hound remains my favorite Disney movie. As a youth, I don’t think I quite understood the underlying themes of segregation and societal judgment, but the honest, heart-melting images of two free-loving naïve youths at play always resonated with me in a way no form of media has reached me since. As I grow older and more cynical, I constantly replay the montage of Tod and Copper frolicking in unabashed friendship, while Big Mama sings, in my head to remind myself that I was once human. It’s an amazing film in the way that it puts on display all the beauty, love, hate and ugliness of which modern society is capable. Although the film’s resolution is crushing, it concludes on a note that tells us that although we may lose our friends and ourselves we will always have our memories.

Now I can’t help but look at Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf, hip-hop heavyweights lost in time, without thinking of Fox and the Hound. The similarities are both eerie and heartbreaking: Two kids from two very different backgrounds come together to make beautiful music only to be ripped apart by a ***ing bear…err, mugger. The two met in Southern California in 1989, Charizma was 16 and Peanut Butter Wolf (aka Chris Manak aka founder of Stone Throw Records) was 19. They became the best of friends due to their deep love of hip-hop and worked together to record a number of demos until they were finally signed to Disney’s Hollywood Basics label. Unfortunately, this all came to an end in 1993, when Charizma was murdered, at the age of 20. Manak took a break from music until 1996 when he started up Stones Throw Records, and in 2003, almost 10 years after Charizma’s death, he finally released Big Shots, a compilation of their work together.

It’s obvious from these recordings that Charizma and Peanut Butter Wolf share a deep, deep love, respect, and admiration for one another. Manak’s production perfectly compliments Charizma’s flow and Charizma does his best to let the beat breathe and develop its own life before tearing it apart. He rhymes with a confidence that’s self-assured without being the least bit off putting. It seems as though every word and sound was meticulously crafted until perfected and it’s almost painful to think of how much work went in to make everything flow together just right.

Big Shots plays like the perfect hybrid of East Coast and West Coast hip hop. It combines the carefree attitude of the West while incorporating the lyrical and sonic punch of the East. We may never see a pair quite as talented and likable as Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf, so let’s take an apple juice break to revel in and pay homage to what we lost.

Sun Kil Moon BenjiThe Weeknd Kiss Land
Teenage Cool Kids Queer SalutationsBeau Navire Lumens
Merchandise (Strange Songs) In the DarkOff Minor The Heat Death of the Universe

November 26th 2009

been wanting to get this off my chest since eliminator

Roach
November 26th 2009

oh man this review is so good

think we've spoken before about how awesome the fox and the hound is, best Disney movie for sure!

I've never actually listened to this

Tits McGee

why are you suddenly reviewing

album is rulesauce

Kyle

Haha, cool review.

One of my favorite hip hop albums of all time right here.

Roach
November 26th 2009

so I'm listening to this now and it's real smooth

good shit

rasputin
November 26th 2009

been waiting for zach to do two reviews in a row since millenium

why are you suddenly reviewing

feeling kind of down so i needed a creative outlet to help me feel better and i've had the base of these written for a while so i decided to tinker with it

that's probably it for the next year or so but idk

hydeyomoney
November 26th 2009

nice review, looks like something to check out.

having a hard time finding this sheeeet.

plane
November 26th 2009

I agree that this is wonderful and my score is slighted a bit higher on the basis that this shows so much potential for a rapper I know with a few more albums under his belt would have been a favorite, but I don't agree with how you describe the album in the second to last paragraph. Nothing sounds "meticulously crafted until perfected." If anything it all sounds like it's so effortlessly tossed off that I really need to sit down and listen to find all the flashes of genius. All the rest of my praise goes into just how fun the whole album is. I love Charizma's lyrics.

klap

October 14th 2010

Zach, maybe you should review more

xfearbefore
October 30th 2010

Yeah this is dope. Gettin' me all nostalgic and shit and it's the first time I've ever heard it. This is an awesome album.

Digging: The Smoking Popes - Get Fired

crank
October 30th 2010

Yeah, it's 'dope'!

December 15th 2010

this record always makes me so happy :')

December 15th 2010

Zach, maybe you should review more

maybe you should s my d

random
June 17th 2011

I heard Devotion on a skateboarding game. Pretty cool.

June 20th 2011

wish charizma was still around. =(

Tupik
June 26th 2011

Didn't find this all that incredible, beats are nice but the lyrics are pretty weak.

xfearbefore
January 24th 2012

This is such a fucking sick album, seriously, anyone with a taste for old school hip hop, this is an underrated classic. "Here's a Smirk" is so dope.