Ethereal Beauty/Shyy/Heretoir/Soliness
The World Comes To An End In The End Of A Journey

by Frederick Metzengerstein USER (202 Reviews)
November 21st, 2009 | 27 replies | 11,077 views

Review Summary: Six bands from around the world come together to pay homage to idie shoegaze, post-punk and black metal.

In my latest blogspotting rampage I came across a really cool split CD which featured six different bands from five different countries. Entitled, The World Comes To An End In the End Of A Journey, these six bands grouped together to pay homage to the lo fi indie genre, as well as shoegaze, post punk/rock, black metal and new wave. Ethereal Beauty, Shyy, Heretoir, Solieness, Dernier Martyr, and Dopamine have contributed two to three songs a piece on this highly intriguing collaboration which I will individually dissect.

First up is California’s Ethereal Beauty which is led by multi-instrumentalist Jordan. His two contributions include The Sun Shines Tomorrow and There’s A Grey Cloud Above Us which blend together the best of Alcest and Explosions In the Sky. Featuring plenty of melodic chords, a driving bass tone and a hint of shoe gaze, these two compact instrumentals start off the record on a promising note.

Brazil’s Shyy expands upon Ethereal Beauty by implementing elements of black metal and quicker tempos into a Amesoeurs meets Mortifera kind of style. On The White Sheet Faces The Dark, you are quickly greeted by some wailing shrieks to complement the rhythmic guitars and overlaying melodies. The song soon transitions into a clean melodic section which features some nice reverb laced clean vocals reminiscent of the early 90’s indie scene. The next song As I Fly essentially picks right where they left off only with a slower pace and more echoing vocals. There isn’t really much originality in these two songs but Shyy make up for it with some strongly composed songwriting.

Germany’s Heretoir play the same post punk/shoe gaze/black metal fusion as Shyy only with slightly muddier production and more depressive undertones. Mostly instrumental in concept, they don’t really differentiate too much stylistically from the two previous bands. Same high pitched harsh vocals, melodic guitars and marching drum beats, the band begin to wear their influences just a little too snugly.

Also from Germany, Soliness offer up similar style of music albeit with a riffier approach. But still, having some groovy guitars and rapid drums contradict itself with slower paced melodies and instrumental sections isn’t enough to make it any less boring. The formula by now has been beaten like a dead horse and the music from this band fades perfectly into the next one without me even noticing.

Out of all the bands on here, Russia’s Dernier Martyr appear to be the most inspired. Their black metal sections, consisting of heavily distorted guitars and piercing shrieks meld exceptionally well with subtle melodies without sounding forced or painstakingly dull. The song dynamics of Follow The River, 937km and Tortured By time were performed better here then some of the previous bands. Still lacking in the creativity department, Dernier Martyr prove to be a focal point for this split CD.

Given the honor of closing the album is China’s Dopamine who provide the swan song of T.W.C.T.A.E.I.T.E.O.A.J with a dynamic, nine minute mini epic. Undoubtedly my favorite song of the record, Melting opens up with some sweet guitar picking followed by some layered noodling. And it is at that point where they melt your face off with said evolution into black metal. At six bands and twelve songs through, the nostalgic homage is complete.

If I have any complaints with this record it’s that there wasn’t enough personality injected into the traditional formula. The album could basically play off as a full length record from a second class Alcest. If only a little more creativity and effort was spent during the songwriting process, this album would have been much better than it is. In itself though, The World Comes To An End In the End Of A Journey is an entertaining record that capitalizes on everything that I love about the post-punk/rock inflicted variants on black metal and shoe gaze. Some point’s go to the concept but points are also taken away for the more monotonous sections. Fans of Alcest, Explosions In the Sky, Amesouers, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Mortifera should really dig this stuff. Here’s to the future!!!

So Hideous Last Poem/First Light13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the Worm
Theophany Time's End: Majora's Mask RemixedAt Dawn They Sleep Red Sun
Black Magick SS PanzerwitchMadonna True Blue

Crysis
November 21st 2009

holy fucked up page width batman

For some reason I really want to check this out now.

Digging: Katatonia - Kocytean

Metalstyles
November 21st 2009

nice review, doesn't seem like my cup

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

Wizard
November 21st 2009

Nice review Ballsy! This eclectic mix sounds interesting. Sounds easy to find as well.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

Zion
November 21st 2009

I was planning on reviewing this but was too lazy to figure out how to add it to the database properly. I pretty much agree with your review. The line-up for this split had changed a while back, originally Ethereal Beauty wasn't on the list, Shyy had a different (and better IMO) track on the mix, and Soliness hadn't really named either of their tracks (and hadn't added wordless vocals to the first of the two.) Though it lacked the structure the final release has, something seems to be missing now. Literally something IS missing, a band was dropped from the project, but I can't recall who it was. Ethereal Beauty took their place. Shyy and Dopamine are still my favorite contributors, I'll have to listen to it again and give Dernier Martyr a better listen. I like Soliness's sound a lot as well, they have some other tracks on their MySpace that are worth a listen. I really wish this held my interest more, it's a noteworthy compilation but I just can't seem to find the enthusiasm to put it back in my CD player.

Relinquished
November 21st 2009

Here's to the future! Made me want to check this out. Great review dude.

Poet
November 21st 2009

most epic review page ever.

Grimlin
November 21st 2009

I really dig this album. Something about this sub genre of bm makes me crave more of it. Post punk and black metal seem to be made for each other. I pre-ordered this some time ago but it keeps getting delayed for various reasons. It'll be a 2010 release at this rate. Good review.

November 21st 2009

You rate this a 3 but the review reads higher. I don't know whether it's the drugs I'm on but this looks really really fucking awesome and I am going to download it right now.

November 21st 2009

Completely agree Zion. And thanks everybody, I couldnt even fit most of the band name. I was puzzled what to do but decided....fuck it, go for the gold.

Fixd to my actual rating.

Wizard
November 21st 2009

I don't know whether it's the drugs I'm on but this looks really...

Weed makes me read things differently too hahahaha

wasn't just weed either!

just woke up, feel like i've been hit by a bus. have this downloaded, will listen soon

kitsch
November 21st 2009

dude this looks badass, im with rasp, tho im sober

Athom

looks cool. I have Heretoir's Existenz ep and it's chill as fuck

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

November 22nd 2009

halfway through - not groundbreaking, but i like it

November 22nd 2009

Pretty much the case for me.

Crysis
November 22nd 2009

Agree with rasputin, I like this but it's nothing overly great.

jrowa001
November 24th 2009

sounds intriguing, i will check it out. i have been wanting to listen to more shoegaze soon.

Balls, did you check out the shoegaze rec i gave you on your list? i think it was the band Gliss

November 24th 2009

Ugh...I dont think so. i will now.

jrowa001
November 24th 2009

k, no rush. Gliss are nothing groundbreaking but it is a really pleasant listen with great female vocals.

Zip
November 29th 2009

this was such a fun album