Watch Me Fall
Worn

by Kyle Ward STAFF
November 17th, 2009 | 19 replies | 5,438 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Turku, Finland’s melodic death metal outfit Watch Me Fall could be called an early incarnation of Insomnium. Both Niilo Sevanen and Ville Vanni were members, and the sound is easily reminiscent of what Insomnium’s early material sounded like, however it fortunately contains a handful of differences which make it more than just a long-lost Insomnium album. The music takes on a much more keyboard-oriented tone, with keyboard melodies creating both atmosphere and harmony throughout the music, taking the load off of the guitars for a while. The music is slow, deliberate, and intensely melodic throughout, but has its share of guitar solos and fast-paced moments without coming off as pure showmanship.

The music itself shows a combination of both Insomnium (in terms of guitars and vocals) and Kalmah (in terms of keyboards), leaning more toward the former for the majority of the album. Wonderful harmonized guitar melodies are packed into the album, with nearly every song having a riff worth mentioning. Couple that with Sevanen’s typical deep growls combined with his quiet whispers and spoken words which fit the relatively depressive nature of the music with perfection. People may argue that the lack of vocal diversity is a turn-off, which indeed may be true for many listeners, but when you take the atmosphere of the album into account the vocals seem like they were made for this style. The instruments take their time during most of the album, crafting slow, weaving melodies while surprises such as string arrangements make their appearance more than once, a brilliant touch which adds a lot of diversity to the album.

The keyboards are subtle enough to shed any label of the music being symphonic, but are present enough for you to be well aware that they are there, and that they are definitely adding to the music. Often times, the keyboards will slide out of the background to contribute in the forefront with the guitars, often times harmonizing with them to great effect. The addition of guitar solos are also a welcome addition, being added to some, but not all, of the songs and only lasting for a few seconds to avoid stagnation . However, they are expertly composed and performed, and often serve as a transition to the strings or to the few acoustic guitar pieces scattered throughout the album.

It’s not fair to approach this album thinking that it is going to be another Insomnium record, because it simply is not. While the sound is similar in many aspects, it is also different in quite a few. Watch Me Fall disbanded shortly after this album was released, so with Worn being their only release, it sort of slipped into the shadow of other melodic death metal releases, a fate which it didn’t deserve. It may be a hard-to-find record, but it is well worth it, especially for fans of melodic death metal. If you aren’t a fan of Insomnium’s sound, this album may or may not be for you, but it could provide that hint of variance which Insomnium’s four records fail to provide. However, for fans of this kind of sound, I recommend Worn wholeheartedly.

Ainulindale NevrastSargeist Feeding the Crawling Shadows
Vindensang AlphaInnsmouth Consumed By Elder Sign
Behemoth The SatanistWoods of Desolation As The Stars

November 17th 2009

Sounds terrible. Great review, otherwise.

November 17th 2009

Sounds fantastic, awesome review.

Digging: EMA - The Future's Void

November 18th 2009

Do you have a physical copy of this? If so, where did you find it?

November 18th 2009

Nope, had to resort to downloading this. Probably couldn't find an actual copy even if I watched ebay for a while.

@Balls- Yeah this doesn't really seem like it would be your thing.

Digging: Tiamat - Wildhoney

November 18th 2009

I found something on the myspace for KTOK records. They shut down last year and had a huge sale. I emailed them asking if they had anymore physical copies. We'll see what happens.

aeons omg

Digging: Picchio dal Pozzo - Picchio dal Pozzo

Willie
November 18th 2009

Great review. I want to hear this.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

November 18th 2009

sounds very interesting, i should check this out.

November 18th 2009

im downloading this now, wasnt too hard to find.

November 18th 2009

The end of Aeons owns face

November 18th 2009

listening to the start of Aeons, liking the start.

November 18th 2009

Yeah, it's appeared on a few more blogs since when I first got this. Glad to see you guys like this. My favorite track is " More Than Gods Could Dream", that song is ridiculously good.

November 18th 2009

this is very very good, borderline 4 for me atm, im on the final track now.

November 18th 2009

stays at 3.5 but very close to a 4, will need more listens.

November 23rd 2009

This is still awesome.

Willie
January 6th 2010

Finally listened to this a few times. Very good. The old-school Insomnium vibe is definitely there, but I like the keyboards.

January 6th 2010

I do too, they add another dimension which makes it not simply an Insomnium clone.

January 7th 2010

And the freaking cello.

Keyblade
August 27th 2013

Oh man I haven't jammed this for years. Need to copy from my old PC.