All the Empires of the World
Last Rites

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (54 Reviews)
November 16th, 2009 | 17 replies | 7,084 views

Review Summary: All The Empires Of The World return to form and surpass even their debut EP

The heavy pounding of a drum fades in, soon accompanied by slow, distorted guitar chords. This goes on for a while; the notes barely changing but somehow gathering a greater and greater sense of something big to come in the near future. You spend 2:30 minutes being surrounded by these thick distorted chords and the pounding of a faraway drum. The music has immersed you within it and suddenly, everything gets bigger and stronger.

Last Rites, All The Empires Of The World’s most recent EP has started and you have become its prisoner for the next 25 minutes. You become surrounded by the atmospheric juggernaut and, unlike many post doom records, you actually enjoy it. Unlike the rest of the doom bands out there, AtEotW (I will refer to the band this way from now on) do not surround you in an atmosphere of grief and despair. The distortion on the guitars is turned up to 11, the drums are slow paced and precise and the bass makes its thundering presence heard throughout so the album holds the same crushing atmospheric sound as its doom counterparts. But the guitars do not revolve around minor chords and this is what gives the album an almost hopeful feel.

The absence of any vocals further helps this by allowing the listener to be fully immersed by the densely layered sound that is pumping through his headphones (I recommend listening to this with headphones to allow yourself to be further immersed in the atmosphere). The music itself is complex enough not to require vocals; in fact vocals would most likely take away from the emotion and density of the album. The instruments intertwine together, never staying in the forefront for a whole song. The thick chords of the guitars meld together with the synths while the thundering of the bass and the pounding drum fill all the empty cracks and make Last Rites a truly powerful listen. Every once in a while, the listener gets a chance to recollect during a clean break but is quickly thrown back into the sludge. These breaks are always perfectly transitioned with the use of fade-ins and drum fills and do not harm the flow of the song but rather add more diversity to it.

Overall, AtEotW have created one juggernaut of an EP. The song writing displayed on Last Rites is breathtaking and every instrument seems to know when to come in to make the song advance while retaining its dense atmosphere. It is a true return to form, surpassing even their first EP, ...Will Be Laid To Waste.

The band have posted their entire discography for free download.
Last Rites can be found here: [url]http://recordsonribs.com/download/lastrites/[/url]

I also recommend their first EP ...Will Be Laid To Waste. The download link for that one can be found in the first comment of its review.

Fuck the Facts AmerManeige Les Porches
Dark Castle Spirited MigrationSunn O))) ØØ Void
Matta PrototypeDeadmau5 Random Album Title

November 16th 2009

Haven't reviewed in a while so hope this is up to standard. Looks really short :/

Willie
November 16th 2009

Good review. You should include the fact that their entire discography is free (and a link).

This is my favorite album of theirs but I have hopes for the upcoming album.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

Good call.
I'll throw that in

Greggers

Great album and review

November 16th 2009

Was expecting a lot more interest in this :/ it certainly deserves it

YouAreMySilence

Amazing ep is amazing.

ninjuice
November 16th 2009

Didn't like this but I guess I don't like post-whatever it is either.

YouAreMySilence
November 16th 2009

Yah its really bleak and I have no idea why I like this so much.
I think its doom.

DiceMan
November 16th 2009

I just got this.. After I'm done listening to The Moon And Antarctica I'll give it a spin..

rasputin
November 17th 2009

Didn't like this but I guess I don't like post-whatever it is either.

you don't like much that's good, really

November 17th 2009

raspewtin dishing out the ownage

Metalstyles
November 17th 2009

good review Simon, just put the album's name into italics and Band's name can be without coding in general. The bold kind of hurts the eye. A pos

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

November 17th 2009

Nah, boldings add variety to a plain looking text.

jingledeath
November 18th 2009

sounds cool, will look fororor

Refl
November 23rd 2009

If there are any reviewers that want the not-final mix of the new album then give me a shout and i'll hook you up.

Thanks for the kind words as usual etc

Willie
November 23rd 2009

Definitely. I've been checking on the myspace page for a link so that I could review it. My e-mail is my screen name at gmail dot com.

February 22nd 2010

why the fuck does this have so many 2.5s? Just re-listened to this and it blew my min all over again. Considering a 4.5