Revolting
Dreadful Pleasures

by Frederick Metzengerstein USER (202 Reviews)
November 12th, 2009 | 27 replies | 3,002 views

Review Summary: Swedish Death Metal RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I have a problem. A big ***ing problem. Every day for the past couple of years my senile beagle howls loudly and obnoxiously in the early hours, preventing me from ever getting a good night’s sleep. A day doesn’t go by where I think about punting him in the lake, but I love my dog so that’s out of the question. Fortunately, on one of those days where good ol Sparky had me up at 5:30 with his incessant begging, I went on the internet and promptly discovered a crushing new Swedish death metal band called Revolting. Led by Rogga Johansson (Ribspreader, Paganizer, ex Deranged) and featuring what looks like a Cthulhu meets Creature from the Black Lagoon hybrid chasing a blonde woman on the album cover, I felt inspired to check this band out due to their blend of campiness and traditional Swedish brutality.

“Dreadful Pleasures” is the band’s first full length album and encompasses everything I love about Swedish death metal and then some. Extremely guttural vocals, meaty grooves, breakneck rhythms, detuned chainsaw guitars, cheesy stage names and blistering solos make up one hell of a listening experience for fans of the earlier sound (Grave, Carnage, Entombed). A decidedly modern touch is felt throughout their music with tasteful production and a horror film fetish as evidenced by the cover and song titles “They’re Not Human” “Overtaken By The Crawling”. Length wise, Dreadful Pleasures falls on the relatively short side, coming in at nine tracks and thirty minutes. However, Rogga and crew waste no time in getting down to business.

First and foremost, the greatest aspect of this record is the guitars. Nothing fancy or overly technical/melodic, Revolting Rogga plays it straightforward with drop d chugging, heavy on the rhythmic scale. Infused with punk rock energy, each song boast’s it own catchy hook and head bobbing groove which should appeal to newbie’s, grizzled veterans or those that enjoy death metal in it’s purest form. Solos are sporadic but well placed, never coming off as obnoxious or unnecessary but instead reinforcing the capable songwriting abilities of the band. Rogga is also the band’s vocalist. Transitioning between unintelligible barks and deep throaty roars with a few raspy shrieks thrown in for good measure, Rogga provides more then enough intensity to level an entire town. Lyrically, Satanic themes run amok in death metal, but Revolting opt for an 80’s horror film element instead. A nice change of pace albeit a campy one at that.

There’s a madman on the drum kit and his name is Mutated Martin. Bad moniker aside, his blast beat/double bas skills are proficient in whipping up a nice audio hailstorm. Speed, speed, speed, some slowed down parts followed by some more speedy patterns. What’s not to love, this is pure ***ing death metal. Complementing the drums and guitars is a sufficient bass tone provided by Grotesque Tobias. Name sounds like the once permanent Hawk Animorph having a bad day. Nevertheless, his playing doesn’t completely overshadow the rest of the instruments or get swallowed up by heavy distortion. All in all, a competently executed death metal record oozing in charm.

2009 has been a banner “Christmas came early” kind of year for death metal, we’ve been given solid releases from Asphyx, Suffocation, Ulcerate, Pestilence, Embrace Of Thorns, Funebrarum, Portal, Axis Powers and now the debut from Revolted. I highly recommend Dreadful Pleasures to anyone who loves their metal groovy and punishing.

So Hideous Last Poem/First Light13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the Worm
Theophany Time's End: Majora's Mask RemixedAt Dawn They Sleep Red Sun
Black Magick SS PanzerwitchMadonna True Blue
Hoppipolla (4)
Does the chick on the front of the album look like she enjoys being chased around by a gigantic sea ...

November 12th 2009

IT'S 65 DEGREES IN FLORIDA, IM FUCKING AMPED TO DO SOMETHING MISANTHROPIC AND METAL

Relinquished
November 12th 2009

FUCK YEAH! NIMBOSTRATUS CLOUDS ARE SWALLOWING THE SKY AND I'M GONNA BURN SHIT!

LepreCon
November 12th 2009

First paragraph is so full of win and lulz. Rest of review rocks too

Digging: Overkill - White Devil Armory

Mordecai.
November 12th 2009

thread needs less Florida. Great review, i'll check ths out.

Anthracks
November 12th 2009

used to love this but find it pretty boring now

Digging: Devangelic - Resurrection Denied

November 12th 2009

GTFO Mordecai. You dont realize how rarely we get cool weather.

XulOnerom
November 12th 2009

I think you need to thank ol' Sparky for making you discover this band. Great review

Oliver

This band is revolting.

Good review, having a drummer named Mutated Martin sounds pretty awesome.

November 12th 2009

I wanted to review this for a while since I did Ribspreader but never got around to it. Great review
dude, excellent album. Rogga is a beast.

btw slight typo in the last para, you misspelled the band's name.

November 12th 2009

Every morning around 5:30 my dog just howls and howls outside my door until he gets fed. It's extremely irritating and kind of bums me out the rest of the day and puts me into a funk. He's 15 though, so I guess I should take it easy on him.

Also, thanks guys. I need that new Ribspreader album which i'll pursue now. Rogga FTMFW.

Zip
November 13th 2009

YESSSS! I LOVE THIS ALBUM!

Mordecai.

REALLY? I THOUGHT YOU WOULD

Willie
November 13th 2009

Great review. Of couse you know I don't like this kind of music, though ;)

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

November 15th 2009

I love Terror Has No Shape!

my favorite's probably Sheetar the Bloodqueen

November 15th 2009

I thought you were going to review this jingle?

November 15th 2009

Well, this slays the Ribspreader album in comparison.

November 15th 2009

I'd say they are even, both are pretty fucking sweet

November 16th 2009

I thought you were going to review this jingle?

never got around to it, too lazy
Well, this slays the Ribspreader album in comparison.

both are quite different, Ribspreader has a dirtier feel to it and the drumming there is quite boring where as, it slays over here but yeah i do prefer Revolting to Ribspreader now, I guess.

lobby
December 15th 2009

hey, i didn't know this was reviewed. this album rules, and i will definitely give it another listen some time soon...